Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Installing an AK47 "retaining plate."

Feedback Score

I'm new to the AK47 rifle so I have a lot to learn. But, the man I got it from says that it has always functioned perfectly and I trust him. So, I think it's a keeper. But, spare parts are absolutely essential. Now that the plate is installed, I have to get out in the woods and see what it will do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

They are very reliable rifles to say the least!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

but I'm a cheap b*stard. LOL.
    LOL I know what you mean, I either use the original shepards hook (with the coil cut off) or the hitch pin things.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You shouldn't remove the trigger group for normal cleaning. Just about anything you can stuff in there to keep the pins in place will work. Another vote for e-clips! Never thought about hitch pins... good idea!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

True hardware stores and big box stores have both e-clips as pookie indicated and hitch clips. i prefer the hitch clips, they are easily removed with a fine screw driver and needle nose pliers, e-clips are bit more difficult to install and remove these clips are cheap, just take pin with you to figure your size on the small hitch pins

some guys claim the e-clips don't hold well metric vs inch

no shepards hook or plates for sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    True hardware stores and big box stores have both e-clips as pookie indicated and hitch clips. i prefer the hitch clips, they are easily removed with a fine screw driver and needle nose pliers, e-clips are bit more difficult to install and remove these clips are cheap, just take pin with you to figure your size on the small hitch pins

some guys claim the e-clips don't hold well metric vs inch

no shepards hook or plates for sprat
    Yeah the hitch pins are definitely easier to install/remove, and in general give a more snug fit versus the e-clips. I think its a 3/16" hitch that I use IIRC. Fits the slot in the axis pin perfect. The e-clips can be a pain to install especially if you wear bifocals. LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

i got the Tapco one, the protrusion does look like it might make it easier.

2ndAmendican- i love your signature. It sums up my thoughts exactly on immigration....the only thing you left out is that wherever/whatever neighborhoods they settle into they eventually turn into/resemble the disgudting ghettos they fled from in the first place! so why move. IMO i say we absorb Mexico as a territory and give them the US dollar as currency so they can all stay right where they are at!
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The tapco retaining plate I bought wouldn't work the AK i built on a Tapco flat.
    That's because Tapco flats are slightly out of spec.
    just file/grind the retainer were it hits the trigger pin. IMO its a good thing there a little off .

I try to set mine up so there is a tension on the pin an you have to flex the retainer a little to get the selector in by carefull fitting the area were it hits the trigger pin It takes me just a few minutes on a bench grinder to do this . IMO the tension on the pins helps keep them from moving an thus wearing . c clips an what not do not . I have had c clips come loose so I quit using them . For $4 the retainer is a better set up IMO . A sheperds crook is also fine just a bit harder to install.

I thing the entire set up could be improved in how its designed but its been working fine for 60 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.