Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AMD65 Rear Trunnion Advice

Feedback Score

My receiver is from Iron Hammer Armory, and is very well made to my eye....I don't like to beat a dead horse, and all the input I have received in this thread is very good stuff, and am grateful for the responses. I need to think about this decision hard.

I'm torn for 2 reasons.....
    1) I really like the original look of things whether its cars or guns(even if its ugly to some)
    2)And from my experience things generally hold more value if it is all matching and original (my AMD kit is all matching numbers)

But, ..... for the time being, this will be my only AK @ $600+, so it will see some substantial range time. So that makes me wanna lean towards fixed.

Basically, if i put a folder on it, its gonna be the AMD stock (w/amd65tech.com cheek weld bar), nothing else. But if i go with fixed, it will probably be collapsible to accommodate my wife and friends.

mtdew.....does you amd65 stock lock up nice and tight...or does it have some play? Im really picky about having only excellent working parts.....so that might help me make a better, easier decision.

Thanks again, and sorry for going on and on about such a trivial topic.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Won't be posting any more about this until after I have built the kit. Don't want to irritate my new found Gun-loving friends with topics that have been around before. But thanks again....and i cant wait to post some pics!!!!
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

In the meantime, here's a tip to help make using the AMD-65 stock a lil bit easier.

The spring behind the release button on my build was way too stout so I dropped by the hardware store and dug through their spring assortment. Found one the same diameter that was a little bit lighter in tension, shortened it to length and installed it.

MUCH easier operation of the latch assy now with this mod.

t
    "kill 'em all an smash the eggs..."

Feedback Score

Question....

When making my own jig, for the rivet to rest in, while I press/beat the other side to form a head, can I make the jig out of AL bar/rod stock.

I know the side I press/beat on should be steel.....but can the bottom side be AL since I'm not beating on it directly.

I'm gonna attempt a rivet build without buying jigs or a big press utilizing shop-made jigs, bucking rod/bar, clamps, vise, and maybe arbor press if i can find a use for it. And would like to save as much money as possible....and got some Al laying around....

Newb builder question.....thanks a lot for input!
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Give it a try. Nothing to lose.
    A good sized shop vise with steel bucking plates on both sides and a cheater bar will do the crush. If the rivet shank starts to fold., stop and use a steelbar and hammer to persuade it straight and dress the forming head with a file so it is straight etc.

Feedback Score

Please define cheater bar.

Also, with this method using vise, should I heat the rivets(shank-not head) to red hot for easier rivet head forming?

PS-These are more newb questions prob....thanks lol
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Default THANKS

Please define cheater bar.

Also, with this method using vise, should I heat the rivets(shank-not head) to red hot for easier rivet head forming?

PS-These are more newb questions prob....thanks lol
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

sorry bout double post....boss walked up.....had to close browser...lol
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

You can edit a post and/or add data to it. using the edit feature.
    A cheater bar is a pipe that slips over the vise hanle for additional torque in tightening the vise. A large, quality shop vise is needed.
    Do not heat the rivet(s).

Feedback Score

oh, ok. cheater bar is what i've always called a breaker bar.
    no heat.....to easy to mess them up that way? or does it weaken the integrity of the material?

Thanks for the edit feature tip and valueable advice.......good to know.
    cant wait to get started so i can post some pics.... good looking akblue!
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak63d

amd 65

amd 65 build riveting with barrel in

amd 65 rear trunnion

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.