Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AMD65 Rear Trunnion Advice

Feedback Score

Default AMD65 Rear Trunnion Advice

Hello my fellow AK friends. Newb to the site, and the AK scene, please forgive me in advance if this topic has been answered previously. OK, hear it is.....

I have a AMD65 parts kit and a fixed stock AK receiver. Receiver is completely parkerized and ready for build, but it is for standard stock. I will use my drill press, and dremmel to mod the receiver to accept the AMD65 rear trunnion/stock. Also, it is a new US barrel installed and headspaced in front trunnion when I got it.

I need to know if it is 2 long rivets for rear trunnion, or 4 short? Also, was wondering about some ways OTHER than buying all the jigs to press the rivets...was thinking bout buying a 4x air rivet gun to use on everything, got an Arbor Press and some small scrap metal stock laying around...

And the front trunnion, since it has been demilled and repopulated and installed with new us barrel, if i take the barrel out to assemble, do i need gauges, or just press back in and put pin in(this kit is coming from some very good gunsmiths that demil and make barrels on site)....????
    Or shoot rivets off barrel(dont really want to)>>>it scares me, plus its the half ass way to do it....

Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Hello & Welcome

The AMD65 rear trunnion uses two long rivets just like a fixed stock, so if you didn't order rivets yet, get a set for an AKM fixed stock.
    You will still have two extra holes in the receiver (if it already has them), the front holes for the fixed stock mount won't be used.

It's hard to give you an answer about riveting since I don't know what tools you have or your skills.
    But people have made a simple plate with a rivet head dimple to rest the already formed head in, and used a punch that they modified with a dimple and just beat the new head into shape with a hammer and that modified punch.

If you can remove the barrel to rivet the trunnion into the receiver.
    Being careful and getting the pin notch in the barrel lined back up with the hole should keep you close to the set head space to be safe.

I'm not sure what a 4x air rivet gun is, so can't comment on that
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Default Thanks!

Hey, thanks for anwsering some of my questions that i was asking. Its nice to have access to info from knowledgeable folks. Hears another question.....

For the AMD65 rear trunnion, it being 2 long rivets, its the same process as the other rivets correct? You just put long rivets all the way thru the trunnion and then form a head on the side opposite factory head? any advice or cautionary info i should know about this process?

thanks again for the responses....this is my first build, im a pistol guy. But this AK building scene intrigues me, and with my mechanical ability, it should be pretty fun and turn out nice!

Feedback Score

Default Other helpful hints or tricks.....

Any other helpful info or things to be careful of when building would be cool. I really want this amd65 to turn out great!
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Have you perused the library yet? There are several AMD-65 related threads in there.
    Here's a couple to get you started.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f163/amd...ent-slot-1521/

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f163/bui...md-65-a-36013/

Feedback Score

Default Thanks

sometimes its hard to get the right info........but, i knew one of you would point me in the right direction. Thanks alot! i will check into these you referenced!
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

For crushing long., through rivets as an alternative to a jig., you can.

Use a heavy shop vise to squeeze the rivets
    create two bucking plates from 3/16 steel plate stock and a drill bit and Dremel burr.

For short rivets you mod a pair of $20 bolt cutters and use a bucking plate or form the jaw to act as the plate etc..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hell Id make it a fixed stock . I know that's not what your asking for .

all the info on the amd folder trunion is correct two long rivets .

make sure you get the recvier marked right before you cut an if the receiver is fully hardend its not a fun job to cut it . take your time an make sure its correct .

post pictures .

Feedback Score

curious, why a fixed stock? i like hearing other opinions......i was actually thinking about doing a bonesteel folding stock cause it will mate right up to a fixed trunnion which is what my receiver is made for.....but also wanted the originality of the classic amd stock. Plus, with amd65 stock, i dont have to buy anything!!!
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

+1., a standard fixed stock rear tang is more versatile.
    AMD stocks are a love-hate thing. If you love them., good to go. If you hate them you are pretty much stuck because there is virtually no alternative once the trunnion is installed.
    Cutting the receiver is not a big deal as a Dremel tool and cutting disc makes short work of the receiver. Drawing out the cut lines or using an old stub template is critical.

I did bubba an AMD kit and added a different stock by welding to the AMD pivot block.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/bubba-i-bubba-ii-72498/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak63d

amd 65 rear trunnion

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.