Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heavy barrel AK 47

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kamf181 View Post
    I wonder if you can control the recoil rate of a hotter cartridge with the gas port size or the recoil spring.
    Not really. The amount of gas used in the gas system is very small and is limited in how much is bled into the system as too much or too little will create Short cycling or over gassed situation. The recoil spring is he same thing. Needs to be strong enough to prevent carrier striking the receiver rear and strong enough tio cycle and feed ammunition.
    Muzzle devices can control muzzle movement to some degree. Generally a heavier firearm creates less "felt" recoil.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You can adjust the way a gun cycles with heaver loads with gas port size or an adjustibale GB but it has nothing to do with recoil .

the port needs to be big enough to cycle the action with the ammo your using . gneraly if you set the port to just cycle with he lowest power loads you will shoot its going to be ok with hot ammo .

you will not be affecting recoil .

perhaps you meant cycle rate ? event then the speed the gun cycles is going to only be affected slightly an it would have to be in full auto to ever notice it .

IMO on a accuracy build the smallest port you can run is the better . that means a smallet hole in the barrel . adjustbale ports need a big hole to be able to adjust doan big holes in barrel wll not help accuracy . the spring needs to be heavy enough to feed a round out of the mag an be able to close the bolt . If the spring is to light tehn round wont strip from the mag an the lock up might occure . i run a tiught chmaber wiht minimal head space Im willing to sacrafice a littel port size to run a heaver or standard spring an be sure the gun cycles properly an will lock up on a tight round .

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    You can adjust the way a gun cycles with heaver loads with gas port size or an adjustibale GB but it has nothing to do with recoil .

the port needs to be big enough to cycle the action with the ammo your using . gneraly if you set the port to just cycle with he lowest power loads you will shoot its going to be ok with hot ammo .

you will not be affecting recoil .
    perhaps you meant cycle rate ? event then the speed the gun cycles is going to only be affected slightly an it would have to be in full auto to ever notice it .

IMO on a accuracy build the smallest port you can run is the better . that means a smallet hole in the barrel . adjustbale ports need a big hole to be able to adjust doan big holes in barrel wll not help accuracy . the spring needs to be heavy enough to feed a round out of the mag an be able to close the bolt . If the spring is to light tehn round wont strip from the mag an the lock up might occure . i run a tiught chmaber wiht minimal head space Im willing to sacrafice a littel port size to run a heaver or standard spring an be sure the gun cycles properly an will lock up on a tight round .
    The round I'm thinking of is a 22-250 it looks like it will work in a stock AK magazine, the bolt may work with a little work on the bolt face. I just wonder about the cycle rate and it slamming the bolt back and maybe not stripping the empty case.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a 22-250 can be built . the pressure are really high for that round at around 65,000 VS the original 7.62x39 of about 45,000 , then the increased case head diameter increases the bolt thrust as well. THE 22-250 IS ONE OF THE HIGHEST PRESSURE ROUNDS OFFERED BY COMMERAIL MANUFACTURES .

I have done 308 win, 243, 300 savage as well as ohters but I keepthe pressures down with hand loads .

THE FORCE THE BOLT COMES BACK IS CONTOLED WITH THE GAS PORT SIZE . CYCLE RATE IS THE WRONG TERM FOR WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT . CYCLE RATE IS HOW MANY ROUNDS A MINUTE A WEAPON CAN FIRE AN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IF A GUN WILL CYLCLE AN FEED PROPERLY .

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE CALIBUR CONVERSION AREA. iF YOU REALLY WANT A 22-250 AK THEN BUY A SAGIA 308 WITH A THREE LUG BOLT AN REPLACE THE BARREL AN MAYBE MOD THE MAG AN YOUR DONE.

CHECK OUT MY 6MM BRX VARIANT IT WILL DO A LOT OF WHAT A 22-250 WILL DO . A 22 BR OR 22 BRX WOULD BE EASER TO BUILD ON A AK , THERE IS ALSO A 22 ppc THAT WOULD BE EVEN EASIER AS THE BOLT FACE IS CORRECT .

THE OTHER ISSUE WIHT A 22-250 IS ITS A BARREL BURNER SO IN A SEMI AUTO YOUR GOING TO BE BUYING BARRELS FAST AN THE AMMO IS DOUBLE WAHT A 223 CAN BE LOADED FOR .

i CONSIDERED A 22-250 FOR A VARMINT BUILD AN DECISDED OF SHOOTING PRAIRE DOGS THE GAIN WAS NOT WORTHT HE COST . i CAN PUSH 223 LOADS TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH AN SHOOT THE BARREL FOR 6000 ROUNDS OR MORE VS MAYBE 1500 .

iF YOU WANT TO GO REALLY FAST i HAVE A 22 CHETTAH ( NECKED DOWN 308 BR BRASS) THAT WOULD RUN OUT OF A SAIGA AT ABOUT 4300 FPS

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kamf181 View Post
    Is there a AK 47 that was built with a heavy barrel? or a heavy barrel longer than 16 inches? I like the look of the heavy barrel AR 15's and was thinking of building a heavy barrel AK.
    www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32677

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

doing a couple now . threaded trunions an any size barrel I want

one shown it just under 1" Od tot he muzzle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

What donor barrels?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

[QUOTEWhat donor barrels?[/QUOTE]

i CAN PRETTY MUCH USE ANY BLANK IF GTHERE IS ENOUGH SHANK OFR THE THREADS .

THE ABOVE IS A gm BLANK IN 7.62X39 THE UNDER THAT IS A 6MM BRA VARIANT I DEVELOPED

T HE SECOND DOWN RECVIER HAS A FLUTED STAINLESS BARREL WITH THAT CURRENTLY 300 WIN MAG BUT WILL BE RECHAMBERED . BLEOW THAT IS A 260 REM AN A 7MM-08 i THINK .

ONE TRUNION IS THREAED 1 1/16"-16 SO IT TAKES REMINGTON 700 THREADS TUNREN BACK MORE THE OTHER IS 1"-16 AN WILL TAKE WINCHESTER AN RUGER BARRELS .

MOST OF MY BARREL WILL BE TURNED TO SIZE AN THREADED FROM SCRATCH .

SEE MY THREAD ON SWITH BARRELS FOR THE WHOLE THING

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

more info an pics on the screw in barrel build .

MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS

Feedback Score

I have an DDR heavy RPK barrel with attached bipod from long time ago...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

ak 47 heavy barrels
ak 47 with heavy barrel
ak-47 heavy barrel
heavy barrel ak 47
heavy barrel ak-47
heavy barrel al47
heavy replacement barrel for ak 47
new ak-47 heavy barrels

polish ak 47 16 heavy barrel import

will the aes10b heavy barrel fit a ak 47
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.