Gunco Forums banner

Heavy barrel AK 47

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  iloveaks 
#1 ·
Is there a AK 47 that was built with a heavy barrel? or a heavy barrel longer than 16 inches? I like the look of the heavy barrel AR 15's and was thinking of building a heavy barrel AK.

#9 ·
read all this an then go from there .

http://www.gunco.net/forums/ak-biy-forum/71889-accurizing-ak.html

In a nut shell its going to shoot good with a good barrel with a tight chamber , good ammo a good trigger an better sights or optics.

If you have a lathe the build is easy . If you dont I can help if you want to spend a few $$$$

a rpk GB an other barrel parts on a good barrel is a good start. the calibure is up to you . 7.62x39 drops like a rock after 200 yards to IMO it better go with some thing faster .

#12 ·
You can adjust the way a gun cycles with heaver loads with gas port size or an adjustibale GB but it has nothing to do with recoil .

the port needs to be big enough to cycle the action with the ammo your using . gneraly if you set the port to just cycle with he lowest power loads you will shoot its going to be ok with hot ammo .

you will not be affecting recoil .

perhaps you meant cycle rate ? event then the speed the gun cycles is going to only be affected slightly an it would have to be in full auto to ever notice it .

IMO on a accuracy build the smallest port you can run is the better . that means a smallet hole in the barrel . adjustbale ports need a big hole to be able to adjust doan big holes in barrel wll not help accuracy . the spring needs to be heavy enough to feed a round out of the mag an be able to close the bolt . If the spring is to light tehn round wont strip from the mag an the lock up might occure . i run a tiught chmaber wiht minimal head space Im willing to sacrafice a littel port size to run a heaver or standard spring an be sure the gun cycles properly an will lock up on a tight round .

#13 ·
You can adjust the way a gun cycles with heaver loads with gas port size or an adjustibale GB but it has nothing to do with recoil .

the port needs to be big enough to cycle the action with the ammo your using . gneraly if you set the port to just cycle with he lowest power loads you will shoot its going to be ok with hot ammo .

you will not be affecting recoil .
perhaps you meant cycle rate ? event then the speed the gun cycles is going to only be affected slightly an it would have to be in full auto to ever notice it .

IMO on a accuracy build the smallest port you can run is the better . that means a smallet hole in the barrel . adjustbale ports need a big hole to be able to adjust doan big holes in barrel wll not help accuracy . the spring needs to be heavy enough to feed a round out of the mag an be able to close the bolt . If the spring is to light tehn round wont strip from the mag an the lock up might occure . i run a tiught chmaber wiht minimal head space Im willing to sacrafice a littel port size to run a heaver or standard spring an be sure the gun cycles properly an will lock up on a tight round .
The round I'm thinking of is a 22-250 it looks like it will work in a stock AK magazine, the bolt may work with a little work on the bolt face. I just wonder about the cycle rate and it slamming the bolt back and maybe not stripping the empty case.

#14 ·
a 22-250 can be built . the pressure are really high for that round at around 65,000 VS the original 7.62x39 of about 45,000 , then the increased case head diameter increases the bolt thrust as well. THE 22-250 IS ONE OF THE HIGHEST PRESSURE ROUNDS OFFERED BY COMMERAIL MANUFACTURES .

I have done 308 win, 243, 300 savage as well as ohters but I keepthe pressures down with hand loads .

THE FORCE THE BOLT COMES BACK IS CONTOLED WITH THE GAS PORT SIZE . CYCLE RATE IS THE WRONG TERM FOR WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT . CYCLE RATE IS HOW MANY ROUNDS A MINUTE A WEAPON CAN FIRE AN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IF A GUN WILL CYLCLE AN FEED PROPERLY .

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE CALIBUR CONVERSION AREA. iF YOU REALLY WANT A 22-250 AK THEN BUY A SAGIA 308 WITH A THREE LUG BOLT AN REPLACE THE BARREL AN MAYBE MOD THE MAG AN YOUR DONE.

CHECK OUT MY 6MM BRX VARIANT IT WILL DO A LOT OF WHAT A 22-250 WILL DO . A 22 BR OR 22 BRX WOULD BE EASER TO BUILD ON A AK , THERE IS ALSO A 22 ppc THAT WOULD BE EVEN EASIER AS THE BOLT FACE IS CORRECT .

THE OTHER ISSUE WIHT A 22-250 IS ITS A BARREL BURNER SO IN A SEMI AUTO YOUR GOING TO BE BUYING BARRELS FAST AN THE AMMO IS DOUBLE WAHT A 223 CAN BE LOADED FOR .

i CONSIDERED A 22-250 FOR A VARMINT BUILD AN DECISDED OF SHOOTING PRAIRE DOGS THE GAIN WAS NOT WORTHT HE COST . i CAN PUSH 223 LOADS TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH AN SHOOT THE BARREL FOR 6000 ROUNDS OR MORE VS MAYBE 1500 .

iF YOU WANT TO GO REALLY FAST i HAVE A 22 CHETTAH ( NECKED DOWN 308 BR BRASS) THAT WOULD RUN OUT OF A SAIGA AT ABOUT 4300 FPS :)

#18 ·
[QUOTEWhat donor barrels?[/QUOTE]

i CAN PRETTY MUCH USE ANY BLANK IF GTHERE IS ENOUGH SHANK OFR THE THREADS .

THE ABOVE IS A gm BLANK IN 7.62X39 THE UNDER THAT IS A 6MM BRA VARIANT I DEVELOPED

T HE SECOND DOWN RECVIER HAS A FLUTED STAINLESS BARREL WITH THAT CURRENTLY 300 WIN MAG BUT WILL BE RECHAMBERED . BLEOW THAT IS A 260 REM AN A 7MM-08 i THINK .

ONE TRUNION IS THREAED 1 1/16"-16 SO IT TAKES REMINGTON 700 THREADS TUNREN BACK MORE THE OTHER IS 1"-16 AN WILL TAKE WINCHESTER AN RUGER BARRELS .

MOST OF MY BARREL WILL BE TURNED TO SIZE AN THREADED FROM SCRATCH .

SEE MY THREAD ON SWITH BARRELS FOR THE WHOLE THING

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.