Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trigger gaurd first or center support

Feedback Score

Red face trigger gaurd first or center support

ok guys I am just finishing up my trigger guard jig and I needed to know your opinions on what to rivit first the trigger guard or the center support. I would like some rational for the order as every body has different ways of doing things. I have just got my test receiver bent in the jig that I got from sprat(thanks again) and I am ready work on my heat treating procedure. I intend on using an acetylene torch set up at my grandfathers shop ( I also have a torch set up at my shop but only have propane/ O2 set up . same set up just different fuel gas. i was wondering if a slightly carborizing flame on the acetylene set up would help to add some extra carbon into the heat treating process? I have a few other questions for you guys after I get a little farther along and I have been saying I will put up some pics but haven't gotten around to it yet . (I will when I have all my jigs and rivet squeezers done) thanks again for all the great advice.

Feedback Score

I always install the center support before the trigger guard. I think that's the way most do it.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Me too, but I always did the center support first and then with the trunnion & stock tang held in with clamps or bolts to test fit the carrier so I can trim the rails if needed before I rivet anything else in. But that's just me.

I'm not a pro about the gas question for the torches, but I think you'll be fine with the propane/O2 mix. Hopefully someone with more experience can help.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

I m going to attempt to heat treat the FCG holes today or tomorrow so I can move on to the trigger guard. does any body out there do it in another order .trigger guard vs. center support. just looking to see the ups and downs of the order of operations.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Well If you don't want to rivet in the center support yet, how about just using a bolt / machine screw and some nuts (inside & out) to hold the receiver at the proper width while you heat treat it?
    This way you can pull the bolt when your ready to install the trigger guard and you won't have the center support in the way
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Coils is giving you good advice, I always use nuts and bolts to fit and test. but setting the center support will help the blank hold its form

glad the jig and flats are working for you
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I always bolt everything together first. I have whole box of various length 8-32, 10-32 and 4mm stove bolts for just this purpose. I have also always riveted the TG in first, it just seems easier without the CS in the way. I usually rivet the CS in last. I have it bolted in place while I do all the finish fitting of the carrier, but don't actually rivet it in place until the end.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Over the years there have been several Gunco members who crushed their receivers riviting the CS in their shop press. That's about the only reason I can think of to do it first. they were pissed that a bunch of work was allready done before ruining the receiver! Heh..Heh I think there might be a couple in a certain canal in Florida!

I hammer my center support rivits. Tap tap tap. No worries
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

I like to rivit the trigger guard first that way the center support is not in the way. After wards I'll do my center support and heat treat. Everything I do is done on a press using tools I have made from scrap metal. I start to mushroom the center support using a hammer than I use my press along with a tool I made to finish the head of the rivit.

Rgl
    Feedback Score

Just joined does anybody hot rivet there ak builds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.