Thread: Opinions on a rebarrel for this Type 56

Feedback Score

Cool Opinions on a rebarrel for this Type 56

I finally found a match for this interesting Type 56 after I stumbled across pics of Docwade's Type 56-S3 Unmarked early Chinese ak question

So now I'm thinking about restoring her but I'm not 100% sure about the direction I want to take, so I thought I'd throw some pics up and let the Forum throw out some ideas and opinions!

I've collected the correct parts to complete it from what-all was missing when the rifle came to me -- FSB, GB, and barrel. Now, the
    BIG question is:

1) Assemble it with the new-looking parts and leave it at that.
    2) Assemble and "distress" the parts to match the rest of the rifle (keeping the business part of the barrel sanitary, of course!)
    or
    3) Something different?

here she is:

type 56 (2).JPG

type 56 (19).JPG
    type 56 (7).JPG
    type 56 (23).JPG
    buttstock is upside down, but
    type 56 (15).JPG
    I hope you get a sense of how neatly the weathering is "split down the middle"!

type 56 (4).JPG

Some back-story on this rifle: A few years ago, a friend who isn't into AK's like he is crazy into other weaponry, literally handed this to me - including a barrel stub (I can't say for certain if it was spared from a de-mil....order). Regardless, as I looked her over - OK, I was ogling her! - I thought that given its peculiar 'finish' perhaps is was a "bring back" because
    a) Not every AK in the SandBox is FA,
    and b) The serial number was electro-pencilled onto the gas tube! That was not done to my MAK 90, and I could not find a reference stating civilian AK's were numbered as such, so it strengthened my idea this really was a "military" bring back because we all know electro-pencilled parts are found only on military (or other official) firearms for ident... blah, blah...you get the rest.
    Fast-forward to yesterday, when I found Docwade's post. She'd been stuffed away in a shoe box (the horror!) where I'd pull her out and play with her when the urge would strike, or found a part I needed to complete her. Now it's time to get to work, so---

Opinions, please!

BTW, isn't this is an enjoyable pastime? It beats watching bass fishing or bowling on the tube (both of which I enjoy doing - just not watching others do)

Wolff

P.S. Anyone want to see more pics???

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IMO it really diont matter what you do from a collect ability stand point . so decide if you want it to look like a abused ak or if you want to look more like a original.

If it were mine if fill the pits with something an use a spray on finish .

other wise build it as a beater with a good bore so it shoots well.

You can hurt it much so have fun

Feedback Score

1Biggun,

I thought about filling in the pits and defects. I'd be worried about there being more "bondo" than body - like those parking lot dent repairs - it looks really good, until the repair falls off at the first pothole ;-)

You're right about making it a good shooter - regardless of how I finish it, it'll have to run good. I didn't post a pic yet of the bolt, carrier or FCG - all look WAY better than the outside.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

It's all personal preference, me personally I'd build it as a battlefield pickup. But I wouldn't try to add pits to parts that don't have them, just rub some of the finish off to make it look worn.

If you want to fill the pits and refinish it, just fill them with primer. Spray on some primer on the pitted areas, them sand it so only the pits have primer in them. Then do it all over again and again until the pits are filled flush with the surrounding area, then paint it with what you like.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If it were mine I would sand blast the whole thing, bbl, parts, etc. Then parkerize, fill the pits, and then a bake on finish. On the other hand, after sandblasting you may find the pits are not very noticeable and maybe no filler would be needed. I have a chin .223 underfolder that had some pitting and it didn't need filler after blasting, parking and paint. Anyway you do it its gonna look good. I just like it when a gun is brought back to life.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

We have a company here that does chrome plating, I took some panhead parts in that were badly pitted and after they were dipped in the copper and nickel tanks and buffed they looked brand new. They have a black chrome now that looks great after they blast it with walnut shells or something like that, I'm going to use it on my M53 when we finish the barrel shroud. I always liked the polished finish on Chinese and Yugo AKs.

Feedback Score

MtDew: "I just like it when a gun is brought back to life." It is a good thing. And the before/after pics would be amazing!

kamf181: The local plating shop owner is a long-time poker playing buddy. He does about 50 or 60 finishes for faucet companies - I hadn't thought about black chrome (which could look awesome). I saw some crazy pics of fully chrome plated AK's confiscated by the Mexican feds - Cartel guns - some had "tasteful" gold appointments, looking a lot like the ones from Saddam's stash. IIRC, they were heavily engraved, too - not very tactical

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.