Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saiga build back ALIVE!

Feedback Score

Postak Saiga build back ALIVE!

What's up Gunco!?!? Man it's been a long time...way too long. I started this build about 3 years ago but due to financial problems, losing my job, I had to put everything I was doing on the back burner. Luckily it did not get bad enough that I had to sell everything, just locked it away and forgot about it so I didn't! Lol. Anyhow I have been slowly getting back into building, I finally finished the parkerizing on her which came out BEAUTIFUL! I got the Russian Triangle folding stock all put together too. I am currently modifying a ultimak lower rail to get better fitment, waiting on the ultimak upper also. The last major thing I need to do is figure a way to make an extension for a Bulgarian 4 piece FH, I used a front sight/gas block combo w/threads and instead of cutting 3" or 4" off the barrel I want to just make a 4 1/2" extension for it so it really works. I bought a tap and die set for the 24mm threads and used a piece of black pipe, which looks awesome (heavy as hell though). But the inside threads were a tiny hair off so it's no good, I tried a few times but can't get the threading perfect. I am stumped as to what I should do now. I looked around and it seems no one makes a 24mm extension, any suggestions?

After I am done this Saiga I am already in the process of looking for another one for my fiance! It will be slightly different, going to use a m4 style collapsible stock because she has a much shorter LOP and it will be more comfortable for her. She also wants it pink and I think light blue.....I know I know but if it get's her into shooting I'm all for it!

BTW holy crap the prices of Saigas went up BIG time! If anyone knows anywhere that has a good deal on one I'd much appreciate it.

Glad to be back and look forward to hearing from everyone, Saigaist

P.S. In the morning I will take some pics and post them

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

What's the problem your having with the inside threads? Give more details type of thing

Yes the prices have gone up a lot in the last few years, the last big jump was after the Sandy Hook thing and they haven't come down much since.
    The best way to get one at a cheaper price is to watch for a trade-in at the shops & shows.

And there's no problem making it a color she wants, but I don't know if pink & light blue will work together though, better photo shop it first to get an idea
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    What's the problem your having with the inside threads? Give more details type of thing

Yes the prices have gone up a lot in the last few years, the last big jump was after the Sandy Hook thing and they haven't come down much since.
    The best way to get one at a cheaper price is to watch for a trade-in at the shops & shows.

And there's no problem making it a color she wants, but I don't know if pink & light blue will work together though, better photo shop it first to get an idea

The inside threads are slightly off, making the FH off. I had to thread the pipe by hand, and the threads are just a hair crooked. I used 3/4" black pipe. Turned it down just a hair more then 24mm so it would thread nice and easy, which it did, but it comes out crooked every time. The 24mm tap is a big tap and I try as best I can to level it while turning but just can't seem to get it perfect. The outside threads are easier because I can see the die is straight and make sure it stays that way.

I don't have access to a threading machine I know that would probably be best. Is there any way to make certain it's straight before threading? Also it seems as I start to thread the pipe the tap moves all around so it's hard to make perfectly straight, are there any sort of make shift jigs available? My only other thought was to find someone that could make it for me so it's 100% on point, not sure who I haven't been able to find anyone yet.

LOL good idea about the photo shop I'll have to give that a try and see what she thinks.

What do you guys think about ArmsList?? I recently got an AR lower on there for a steal, looking to build a 5.45 piston AR using an Adams Arms upper with the E3 milled lower I got. Beautiful brand new lower btw. But I have been looking on there for unconvertd Saiga's, had a guy email me a week or so ago that was a dealer with a really good price...$400 or $500 IIRC, I think $500 but I'd really like to pay no more then $400.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Do you have a drill press? I use one to start threads with a tap, that way I know it is straight to the bore of the hole I am threading. I just turn the drill chuck by hand (DO NOT TURN THE DRILL PRESS ON!!!!) until I have a couple threads or so started straight, then I take the tap out of the drill chuck (leaving it in the piece if possible) and put the tap handle on it, and continue by hand. I always try to go slow, and I put a small level across it repeatedly while I'm cutting the threads. Good luck with it.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Do you have a drill press? I use one to start threads with a tap, that way I know it is straight to the bore of the hole I am threading. I just turn the drill chuck by hand (DO NOT TURN THE DRILL PRESS ON!!!!) until I have a couple threads or so started straight, then I take the tap out of the drill chuck (leaving it in the piece if possible) and put the tap handle on it, and continue by hand. I always try to go slow, and I put a small level across it repeatedly while I'm cutting the threads. Good luck with it.

Yea that's a great way to do it and I do have a drill press but the 24mm tap is roughly an 1" wide so it won't fit....would have been the perfect solution though.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Saigaist View Post
    Yea that's a great way to do it and I do have a drill press but the 24mm tap is roughly an 1" wide so it won't fit....would have been the perfect solution though.
    Well crap!!! LOL. Oh well. Hope you get it figured out.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I used 3/4" black pipe. Turned it down just a hair more then 24mm so it would thread nice and easy
    How did you turn it down?

Yea that's a great way to do it and I do have a drill press but the 24mm tap is roughly an 1" wide so it won't fit....
    How big of a drill press do you have, or how big of a chuck?
    Can you make a holder for the tap that's stepped down to fit in the chuck?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

I turned the pipe down with a dremel...I know not the most precise tool in the world lol, but don't have a lathe.

The chuck is a 1/2" one. That's an awesome idea making a holder.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah I think a holder would be the easiest way to go, other then paying someone else to do it, since all you have is a drill press.

I think the hardest part would be making the hole for the tap, the stem piece for the chuck can be a bolt with the head cut off, or just a good piece of steel rod held in with a set screw(s) or small bolt(s) from the side(s), or even pinned like an AK barrel is.

Feedback Score

If you have a welder or a friend etc., who welds., a muzzle nut or chop the front off a BFD makes a good 24mm threaded base.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/Blank-Firing-Device
    http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-040BL.html

I did it with a 26mm PAP muzzle nut here for a M92B1 build.>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.