Thread: American AK74 Barrels?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default American AK74 Barrels?

Which is the best American made chrome-lined AK74 barrel? I have read Green Mountain are best but what about EES and Interarms barrels? Thank you very much in advance for any information.

Feedback Score

What's wrong with ak-builders barrels?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I dont think any of those $100 or so barrels of of any great quality. you got to figure your getting a $45 blank when you buy one.

with barrel syou get what you pay for . Now does any one make a high end barrel IN 5.45 ? I dont know . I do know packnor makes blanks if you got the csh you can have one made .

Im sure AK builder barrels are as good as any of the others .

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

my guess would be that most 4140 barrels that are the correct bore and twist rate will do a good job on the 5.45 chromed or not. where people run into problems is when they use a 5.56 bore barrel that is chambered for 5.45, the 5.56 barrel bore is slightly bigger making the 5.45 bullet unstable--

my thinking is military/sportsman grade accuracy which is about all your going to get out of the surplus 5.44x39 with the steel jacket bullets anyway.

my wilson barreled ar-15 can do 1.5" @ 100m all day long with the dirty surplus , a bad batch will open up to a little over 2" --still pretty good for what the ammo is.

i suspect i could dip down to about 1" with the hornady ammo with the match bullets.

it is a lot less difficult to get below 1" groups with the 5.56 or other western round simply because there are a lot more match bullets and you can then get a bullet length/weight your barrel likes and dial it on down.

the limiting factor in the 5.45x39 ain't the barrel anyway=== it is the ammo. any decent barrel of the correct bore will do about all the mil-surp ammo will do.

i suspect the green mountain is a fine barrel but i haven't used one yet.

i have used a few ESS ar-15/5.56 barrels and so far for a cheap barrel the shoot way better than their price would suggest.
    if the ESS is the correct bore/twist rate and chamber it COULD be a good deal.

AKbuilders barrels may also be good enough --as would any properly made barrel in 5.45

like bigun said if you looking for sub-sub MOA accuracy you going to have to get a quality blank and then load your own ammo too. generally it would be like doing a wildcat -- a wild cat might even be better as you could do the round up into whatever quality bullets you came across rather than hunting for that odd sized 5.45-- lots of good 6mm, 223 and ect types out there --very few if any 5.45s of match quality.

Feedback Score

Arms of America offers chrome, non-chrome and nitride barrels.
    I have inly used the earlier non-chrome and it works fine for accuracy etc. It seems the US manufacturers have stepped it up a bit.

http://armsofamerica.com/barrels-2.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks very much for the information.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

It seems the US manufacturers have stepped it up a bit

They need to it costs around $500 to build a AK these days . IMO sticking a barrel on a $500 gun made from a $30 blank sort of lame . I think AK owners are startig to expect a little more for there money .

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.