Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Canadian thing

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The furniture looks really nice

Does that use standard AR mags?

It might be less hassle to get one from the Czech Republic or Canada,
    If it uses AR mags we can't have them imported, since it accepts high cap mags and has a pistol grip it doesn't fall into the "sporting" class, and nothing can come in from Canada.
    Now what would be nice is if we could get the 223/556 bolt, barrel and mag well, then we could make or convert our own.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    The furniture looks really nice

Does that use standard AR mags?

If it uses AR mags we can't have them imported, since it accepts high cap mags and has a pistol grip it doesn't fall into the "sporting" class, and nothing can come in from Canada.
    Now what would be nice is if we could get the 223/556 bolt, barrel and mag well, then we could make or convert our own.
    I much prefer wood over plastic. It's Czech army surplus wood. The rifle came as standard with plastic everything.

That one uses AR mags as it is fitted with an aftermarket AR mag adapter. The .223 versions come from the factory with a different mag.

Contact http://www.moviearms.com/ They do warranty work for Czech Small Arms. They have or can get all the parts you would need. Don't be put off by the website, they know their stuff.

Zahal in Israel carry the AR mag adapters and other bits an pieces. They ship world wide and are fast and reliable.

http://www.zahal.org/groups/shop-sa-vz-58-cz-858

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

fitted with an aftermarket AR mag adapter. The .223 versions come from the factory with a different mag.

And thanks for the links, I'll look them over more later today.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks, looks great.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Both My 58's are in x39 , the only thing different in the 223 version is the mag well adapter, barrel and a couple other minor things. All the earlier and non paratrooper versions had wood stocks originally , then they changed over to the composite ,wood chip/???,some kinda of material ?? ,, and folder stocks.

I like the VZ's much better than AK platforms myself,,so I'm not so sure it's a Canadian thing even though lots of Canadians do have them. It's cause the AK platform is "Verboden" there I believe,, that's the main reason many have them up there I gather. I sure like mine.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Both My 58's are in x39 , the only thing different in the 223 version is the mag well adapter, barrel and a couple other minor things. All the earlier and non paratrooper versions had wood stocks originally , then they changed over to the composite ,wood chip/???,some kinda of material ?? ,, and folder stocks.

I like the VZ's much better than AK platforms myself,,so I'm not so sure it's a Canadian thing even though lots of Canadians do have them. It's cause the AK platform is "Verboden" there I believe,, that's the main reason many have them up there I gather. I sure like mine.
    I don't know anywhere else where you can buy a VZ 58 in .223, that's what makes me think it's a Canadian thing. I could be wrong I suppose

It's true that the AK is verboten in Canada, and most would prefer an AK. Everyone wants what they can't have. I have experience with both the VZ 58 and the AK, I much prefer the Czech rifle.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/VZ58_Czech.html

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I believe there available at Czech Sports off and on, but last time I was on there site they were just about out of everything but some parts and a couple non VZ's that they sell.

I absolutely love mine and they both shoot great!! They ain't going , no where,,there keepers. And there both Century's. They made less than 1 million of them total so you don't really see them all that often. A couple places still have them though, but not wood stocks,,those are relatively hard to find.

Sense you into them too Mick, have you ever tried to mount a regular AK side mount to them? I've got one and I've set it on there and it fits perfectly flush and real nice between the gussets on the receiver, it would just need to have a small radius cut to allow access to a pin depending where it had to be mounted to allow for good eye relief, not a biggie by the looks. But I just don't know if it sits proud enough so the mount itself would clear the gussets on the sides of the receiver plus center the scope on the receiver with a standard AK type mount. I think the The Czech ones look a bit bulky to me, and there are some relatively compact mounts available now for AK platforms at way better prices.

Any idea's on that one Mick?? I don't really want to bugger it up, and find out later I didn't accommodate for something. And it just may be something that you may know about. I like them to much to screw it up.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post

Sense you into them too Mick, have you ever tried to mount a regular AK side mount to them? I've got one and I've set it on there and it fits perfectly flush and real nice between the gussets on the receiver, it would just need to have a small radius cut to allow access to a pin depending where it had to be mounted to allow for good eye relief, not a biggie by the looks. But I just don't know if it sits proud enough so the mount itself would clear the gussets on the sides of the receiver plus center the scope on the receiver with a standard AK type mount. I think the The Czech ones look a bit bulky to me, and there are some relatively compact mounts available now for AK platforms at way better prices.

Any idea's on that one Mick?? I don't really want to bugger it up, and find out later I didn't accommodate for something. And it just may be something that you may know about. I like them to much to screw it up.
    It will not clear the receiver sides, nor will it center the scope. I had the same dilemma several years ago before rails specifically for the VZ 58 were available in Canada. I welded a 1/4" block onto the back of an SVD rail in order to get it right.

I like the SVD mounts better than the AK mounts as they sit much lower. Nowadays you can buy them purpose made. You can buy the rails here....http://westrifle.com/wrstore/index.p...roducts_id=810 Once you have the rail you can put almost whatever you want on it.

PS, Don't worry about having an off center scope, they work fine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Oh Ya,,now that's what I'm talking a bout!! That was the issue I saw with the AK type mounts,, they'd be way high over the top of the receiver. It would be Hell to get agood cheek weld.

Are they normal Weaver type dovetails or something special? I didn't see where it said one way or the other,,don't know???? And I didn't see the intermediate section/mount on that site where you attach your scope rings too. Did I miss it? It looks as though that mounts low enough and is long enough so if you had a long enough scope mount/intermediate piece you could use most any type of scope. Ever see any issues with the scopes getting beat up from ejected brass with a regular size scope on the VZ's? The SKS's are famous for that without a deflector.

I'm going to pick your brain a bit sense you have probably have seen way more and have probibly seen lots of different set-up's.

VZ's are few and far between around here. So I haven't seen any set-up with a scope before other than in pictures.

Feedback Score

That mount above has a normal weaver type rail, but it's only good for red dot's as it sits directly over the receiver. If you want a proper scope get a POSP job. I think they are wonderful, and they are not expensive either. The quality is great, glass and all. Super dooper reticles with ranger finders etc etc. I can't say enough good things about them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.