Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Canadian thing

Feedback Score

I welded a rail to a SVT 40 receiver so I could use a POSP scope with it. With the right ammo it's a minute of angle rifle now.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Man does that save me a bunch of experimenting and cobbled parts!!! Thanks for all the info and pics. Those really helped out,,,,A BUNCH!!!

That is exactly what I'm trying to get away from though,,,those big bulky side mounts.

I just may still experiment with a standard cover and weld tabs on to attach it to the receiver firmly , with just a standard weaver low base ,,long base, blank with the appropriate radius to fit good, I'll have to mill a couple groves in the base to accommodate for the stampings in the cover. No biggie there. Maybe if I can find a steel one I just may braze it in place and tig the tabs on, 2 wider ones should do with 4 nice countersunk holes for the Allen Head screws.

I think it would keep right along with the nice lines of those guns much better than going a side mount and will still come in less in weight than a bare AK platform, even with the scope. The scope has the base already, add 2 wide tabs with 4 holes to the top cover, the base and all that won't even add 1/2 -3/4 lb. It would be close. I really want to keep it sleek too, and not look like something that someone just put a bunch of brackets on that resembles an "Erector Set",,,,,I really don't like the look or bulk of the side mounts at all and they all just look cobbled to me even if done well.

I'm just talking out my ass right now and thinking up what I'm going for,,so,,,so far it hasn't been well thought out enough plan to have a fixed design yet. Just a thought in the back of my mind. It's basically what they do on the SKS's but it won't need to have a built in riser making it to high . I've taped a set of bases I had kicking around to the cover with the scope mounted on them and at first try it seems to be the right height to clear the front sight through the scope and have a good hold. But if I do a scope , the front sight will be removed anyhow and a 74 style break installed.

At least that's my,, ill thought out plan,, so far. What do you think of that idea? That should keep it sleek ,light, simple and secure with very little work.

Feedback Score

I think ( know ) the dust cover thing will not hold zero. Everything has been tried, there is no new ground to break, what works is what's important. The POSP scopes work and they go on and off in seconds. I love them, and although of little importance, how they look, they look like proper commie scopes, probably because that's what they are.

Have you ever seen a POSP scope up close ?

PS, I can understand different things being out of peoples comfort zone. I come across it a lot around here, I personally love trying out different things. Variety is the spice of life, but it's not for the insecure.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Drat !!!!

I've seen them on several guns on the wall at shops before but haven't really checked them out closely though to be honest. I just hate the bulk part of them, they look like an afterthought,,, actually that's exactly what,, any scope would be on that VZ anyhow!! No matter how it's mounted. It IS ONE!!

Next time to the fun shop I'll take a gander at one though. I do like that side rail though you reffered me to . Thanks again for all the info.

My tac cooled out folder just has the red dot on a Mako forearm assy. and that works OK for just bouncing jugs around from 25 - 100 yards but no target gun. It is more secure the way they have it designed than most though, it kinda wedges together with the lower hand guard so it doesn't shift all that much,,a minute of milk jug or so at 50 I'd call it!

Close enough for that one,, that's all I use that one for anyhow ,but the other fixed stock box stock one I'd like to tweak to make it shoot better at between 75-150ish, which is the furthest I'd be using it anyhow. I got old eyes now and most everything is scoped , I'm not any where's as good as I used to be with irons nowadays. Scopes rule now.

Feedback Score

With that little TRS-25 red dot I can hit a 12" gong at 400 yds once in every three shots. I've yet to try with a POSP scope but I know that with 6x magnification it will be much better.

Iron sights are a thing of the past for me now.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Not bad at all, You got to love that! I haven't really tried the folder at those ranges yet, it's hard to find a place to shoot that far close by that hasn't been built up with houses tucked just out of view in the woods. It's getting like that everywhere around here now.

Feedback Score

TWA, if the rear sight dismounts like a Mosin, you can put a scout-type scope right down on the barrel. When you take the rear sight off of a Mosin, there's a dovetail just like is found on most .22s so you don't need a mount, just rings. A real clean looking set-up.
    Hunter

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_02 View Post
    TWA, if the rear sight dismounts like a Mosin, you can put a scout-type scope right down on the barrel. When you take the rear sight off of a Mosin, there's a dovetail just like is found on most .22s so you don't need a mount, just rings. A real clean looking set-up.
    Hunter

You just reminded me of something https://www.wanstallsonline.com/bc-t...inny-rail.html These work really well with a small red dot. They don't wobble about, and don't need taking off to clean the gun. They just don't look as good as good as a side mount.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've seen the scout type mounts and tried a couple on different guns and I'm not all that much of a fan of that set up either.

I did a scout mount on a Mossin with the original sights removed and when it was pinned it stayed in place and worked pretty good, and one on a SKS that was the same type as the mount you refereed me to.

But for me when used for anything other than off a bench I seemed to have a hard time with them, the SKS was better sense it had the red dot but with a long eye relief scope I have issues getting a decent sight picture and can't seem to shoot all that well with them. And with the VZ I don't seem to have any issue with the red dot in the scout position, but that's the bigger 40mm Tasco. Must be the tired old eye thing again,,,,

Good Lord,,,pretty damn fussy old bugger,,now ain't I???

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post

Good Lord,,,pretty damn fussy old bugger,,now ain't I???
    You took those words right out my mouth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.