Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: A Canadian thing

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I WAS RIGHT,,,,,YOU ARE A SMART ASS MICK,,,,Man You'll fit right in Here then !!!

I may pull the Sig scope I'd mentioned and see if I can get a decent sight picture and if it's a long enough eye relief to work right, if so I may try that scout type mount out ,actually I've see 2-3 different one's of those. Seriously Mick you have been a HUGE help on this though.

Just to bad I'm so set in my ways in my old age ,,,Mr Fussy !!!! That's why all the boaters wanted me to work on there 1/2 3/4 million dollar boats,,just because I am so damn fussy about things.

Might also be because I'm a hot rodder that goes to shows all the time ,,, every one says my car is so spotless and whats been done is perfect and my paint work is so nice it Glows !! I take trophy's all the time too, so I must be doing something right I guess,,,,,

fussy is good, IMO!

Feedback Score

Yes fussy is good, but class is better.....IMO!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Well, now that you've given me so much good advice on that VZ platform Mick,, do you have any experience building PPS43's?

I've got a IO built x25 coming tomorrow plus a kit I'm going to do up in 9mm,, a unissued de-milled Polish,, if you do have any experience with those do you have any suggestions,or advice on any pit falls to watch for with them?

After all,, some of the guys here that know you seem to all say good thing about you're skills, so possibly I could pick you're brain on those too if you do.

Feedback Score

Sorry, can't help with that one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Shit,,, that's to bad. You gave me plenty of first hand advice on the VZ that saved me a bunch of time and wasted efforts and I hoped you might have been able to help out on the 43 too. Thanks anyways.

Time to do some research I guess. Looks pretty simple from what I've seen and read so far though. No bolt mods, just fit and pin the barrel, a few misc pieces parts, and minor work. There must be a difference in the recoil spring too sense the x25 runs at about 42-43 CUP, and the 9mm runs at about 35CUP, so I'm guessing I may have to tweak that some too for the 9mm conversion, not sure, but I'd think so.

I got hurt bad in 06 in a fall and I don't have much access to the shop now sense I'm forcibly retired. They still let me come down and do minor things, but no one else there knew how to use the equipment, so it's just kinda gone to Hell now and hasn't been used sense I left. It's a wicked mess with junk all stacked in front of it now. It takes more time to clean up and move junk away than it would take to complete a major project,,hardly worth it sometimes for small projects. Hell last time I used the mill and lath, it took more time to clean up than it took to build the entire shaft I was doing with a couple key ways ,several different diameter steps in it for bearings, seals and a gear, and a 1/2" LH thread on one end and a splined end on the other. Sad to see it all go to Hell like that.

So just simple stuff to build from now on that doesn't require major machine work. I may get a decent small drill press/mill combo and lathe though, nothing to fancy, just quality bench top type stuff mostly.

But,, NOT HARBOR FRIGHT JUNK ,,, decent quality ones. I hate poor quality tools,,it reflects in the quality of the finished product sometimes! I hate chatter marks! GERRRR!

There I go getting all fussy again!!

Feedback Score

I think the PPS43 is pretty basic, the only thing that will complicate it is the closed bolt BS.

What puts me off from building something different nowadays is that a like new Russian SKS can be had for $200. How can anyone compete with that ? I have a good Sten thing going, but it's only because people can't buy them anywhere else.

I have quite a few ideas for new things, I get bored with the same old, but it's really not worth my while to start another fight with TPTB. In any case I can't build Stens fast enough.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

From what little research I've done so far ,a different trigger group assy and mill a slot in the housing for the safety is pretty much all that's required there to allow it to fire from a closed bolt. Like I said ,,still in research mode right now to get all the details, I don't even have kit in hand yet or all the parts. Just got ups conformation that it's on the truck for delivery today, should be here by 4-5ish.

Man that's amassing you can get SKS's up there for a couple hundred,, not here, there at least double that here,, my costs,, and not even for Russian ones either, then there only in what I'd call average condition. It's crazy what AK kits run now,,more than you used to be able to get a completed one for just 8 months ago,,its just nuts! IMO 500+ for a kit,,they can keep um for that!

Hell I'm more of a Springfield and Mauser builder anyhow,those have always been my thing for the most part. And honestly I can't really figure out what all the Hub- Bub is about with the AK platform anyway ,,myself.

I'd much rather have the VZ's in that style of firearm,,,Any day!! Ak's remind me of the old Checker Cabs in many respects,,big, bulky but reliable and bullet proof, a definite throwback to the 50's and 60's!

The only thing missing with them is a set of fins!!
    Like the late 50's early 60's Plymouth's and Cadi's,,,,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Most of the PPs43 home builds I've seen have used Remington trigger housings added to the lower instead of a proprietary FCG like the commercial models have. Also, many folks have reported blown cases with X25 surplus ammo in the American made semis. I believe the problem is the original used advanced primer ignition, so the bolt was still slamming forward when the round went off. The mass of the bolt and recoil spring were aided by the forward momentum, once ya convert to closed bolt the mass of the bolt and recoil spring are the only factors. Now mill away some bolt weight to allow the closed bolt operation with hammer fired FCG, and there ya go, bolt opens too soon. Which means 9mm should function fine with no mods other than bbl and bolt conversion. The KP44 receiver repair sections have a denial bar already pressed into them, the PPs43 sections do not so ya gotta weld in a bar or press in something to keep a FA open bolt from fitting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Holly crap I looked up parts to build the PPs43 in 9mm and just parts alone to rebuild the parts kit I got would be over a hundred bucks more than the one I bought, Built,why bother??? That rather surprised me.

Perhaps I'll just get the SBR lic and make the folder on the built one functional instead,, probably more cost effective than building the kit up. Kit will stay on the back burner for now till the prices on the 9mm parts drop some,,and I'm sure they eventually will. If not,,,what to hey,, I got brand new spare parts and pieces and a FA trigger group too. Surplus ammo is getting tough and expensive though in X25,,cheapest I've found is 37 cents per round shipped,,pretty steep for surplus corrosive ammo !!!!

I am happy with both the kit and the finished gun though, and true to Classic's advertising,, the kit was a de-milled, unissued gun,,amassing,,who'd a thunk it ??? I believe the finished one was built from the same type of kit too, unissued,it's nice indeed, I think this is going to be a fun,,,,"fun gun".

I'm kinda dumb though 299 with free shipping for the gun and spent about 13-1400 on ammo,,,WTF was I thinking ????

Oh well I was almost out of X25 ammo to feed my CZ52 and a T33 that takes X25, so I needed some anyhow I guess. Hard shit to find now and looks like that caliber is drying up.

Here's the new 43 at any rate and when it stops ,,pouring rain,, I'll get out to try it out.

Those mags for it are a bear to load BTW, Thumb Busters,,,,you bet !!! I got to check through my mag loaders to see what might help,, most are hard to load but those last few rounds are killer!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by twa2471; 01-14-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.