Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PSL. adding a buffer?

Feedback Score

Default PSL. adding a buffer?

I went out and played with the psl this morning. Last time my magazine didnt feed consistantly. I polished the lips and it works 100% now. However...
    The bolt carrier would get stuck all the way back after the last round, this happened three times out of 6 mags shot. Only on the last shot, its not hanging up on the bolt hold open, Its almost like the bolt goes so far back the the lugs are lifting out of the reciever like when you dismantle the recoil spring guide. I have a old buffer I can install. Maybe it just a weak spring, but would a buffer hurt anything? it should keep the bolt carrier from slamming all the way back. Thanks. jim

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id add a thin buffer that will stop the carrier just short of the slot in the receiver. In not going ot get intothe whole buffer debate but this will fix the problem you have .

Im a little curious why its happening on the last round ?

Feedback Score

Im thinking maybe since the theres no resistance without any bullets in the magazine? Mayne the bullets is slowing the bolt just a little as it rides over the round. Just a guess. Jim

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah like Bob said... a buffer will fix it..

but as he also said... PSL's dont really need buffers they are designed to work without them.

you've got a little hitch in the giddy up... that exact thing happens on lots of PSL builds.

lots of times the front edge of the bolt is resting on the back edge of the hammer... next time it does this reach up and tap the bolt handle .. if it causes it to go forward.. look at that engagement point. YES this happens when theres no drag from the mag/rounds & the hammer has time to just come up a hair and get ran into by the bolt. easy fix... rounding/polishing that top edge of the hammer. if you need help or tips on doing that just yell.

the only other cause ive seen of this was a slight twist off center in the receiver..

if you want to check that? next time it hangs up, just hold the trunny area with one hand & give a little twist on the rear stock area... watch your fingers. LMAO
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Ill see if I can duplicate whats happening by c ycling it by hand. I was just happy the way it was working. Guy at the range thought I was nuts shooting the target at 10yds with a rifle. I was shooting my ruger mkI too. And for the psl I was there to see if the mags functioned. Next time out Ill use the 100yd lane. Jim

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Now I want to dust off my PSL and fire a few.
    Jim, is the carrier coming back far enough to be able to lift the carrier out of the receiver with the recoil spring assembly in place? I had one of my earlier bent blank AK builds that I cut the rear slots too far forward and the buffer did "fix" it.
    Man I love these PSL's. Cant believe how long its been since I took mine out. Let us know how it goes.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

JIm,

if you want to duplicate this by hand.. & it actually is the bolt engagement to the hammer... its real easy to do...

pull the bolt back all the way to the rear & ride it forward very slowly while you look in the side of the top cover to see if it hits that hammer top behind the roll over...

thats the quick way to see if thats whats going on.

if it is this problem you are just after polishing that top edge of the hammer up so that the RESTING spring pressure is enough to push it across.

to do this put the hammer in the fired position against the FP in battery... mark the top of the FP holder... now take your hammer out and round it from right above that line back towards the spot that its engaging at.. your just gonna change that slope angle a little bit.

s
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

one suggestion, if you do go the buffer route order two, then thin one down so it's just enough to keep the carrier from popping out. The second one is if you mess up the first one.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Yes the carrier can come out with the spring in it. The buffer I have seems awful thick, im going to thin it down a bit. Ill see how the hammer looks. Im just glad five of my mags all fed flawlessly.
    Now I have another PSL that was a kit built gun. I had ironclad armory build it for me just before all the issues they had. I really thoight ai would never get it back. I called the local atf and the agent made a call to georgia office and they were inspecting them and my psl was brought up. Fortunately the timing worked out and I got it sent before theyre doors closed. I just hope the build was done correctly. Fortunately it was a matching barreled kit on a tgi reciever. Jim

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I remember reading the early tgi built kits had issue's, yep as Coils suggested trial n error on thinning a buffer, mags can be tempermental
    plenty of good suggestions

and yes now wish I had mine out last monday, but it was .223 day
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.