Gunco Forums banner

VEPR x54R Mags in a PSL??

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  dutigaf 
#1 ·
I haven't seen the VEPR mags and how they fit/lock-up. Are they much different than any other AK based mags, or are they like the Saiga mags? I see where Atlantic has 20 round 7.62x54R VEPR mags for sale. Says they're US made. Dutigaf, have you seen these? I know we were talking on another thread about trying to have someone manufacture some hi-cap PSL mags. I wonder if these would fit, or could fit with minor modification??

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...62x54r-20-round-magazine-detail.html?Itemid=0

#2 ·
I have the SGM 10-round VEPR mags and they work okay but are single stack. I hear that they are working on a 20-round double stack mag but that may be just a rumor. The VEPR mags I have are not compatible with a PSL however.

#3 ·
BB,

had several people say that they were'nt compatible with a PSLs....

but if they bring out a 20round double stacker.... could we "make" them work? (i dont have a vepr)

if so it would be better than trying to get the PSL mags made that ive had no luck with.

#5 ·
thank you very much for that picture & compare shot!

hmmmm would still like to see one of those... might be worth it to try and fit one up to a PSL upper/feedlip section....

#9 ·
Dew, I actually got into an email discussion with Tapco regarding a 20-25 round PSL mag, but they said they have no interest at all. Very frustration, as I think they would sell like hotcakes. I think someone here said something about a liability issue with the hi-cap. All their other mags are basically the same capacity of the factory mags for the respective platforms.

Thanks guys for the feedback, especially Zoom for the side by side comparo. Yeah that on the face of it doesn't look doable. Like Sean said, I'd still like to have one to play around with.

#8 ·
Vepr is single stack and very narrow. Will not work in a PSL and not much advantage as a plastic single stack.
I have a PSL front end on a M76 receiver., it headspaces, cycles, ejects and hand feeds OK. I have gotten a Vepr mag to feed that. But a great leap backwards for a low cap single stack plastic mag. The original 8mm mag will not feed rimmed 54r.
The problem is the milled M76 receiver is narrower than a PSL., so the leap of faith is to mill the M76 receiver to fit a PSL mag,. But if that is a no go on feed then I have a paper weight milled M76 receiver.:)

#13 ·
I answered your other post on this subject there was a post on ak forums last fall on attempting this modification appearently the Laithi ???? was also tried, could be wrong it happens occasionilly , these is no known mag to convert from I did see a post many moons ago about bren mags but they don't work either
I would be happy to get more orignal 10 rounders, I only have 5 for my rifle

#15 ·
the lahti mags were converted..

so were the ZB mags & we even did a drum...

all have specific things to deal with.

lahti mags: they worked perfect on 1 specific country's run of ammo which had a shorter OAL..... so when we showed the guns running on it & posted it up ... people tried it and then said "hey this dont work"... they were right..... it only worked on that 1 country's batch ( think it was hungarian)... it just so happened that some of us had all bought it by the crates at the same time & used it... so when people went to another longer made round... NO GO!

ZB mags work just fine but you have to alter the receiver to accept them & now the mags have all dried up... so thats a no go if you dont already have them.

DRUM: Both Pryotex & me have had the drums working. BUT like anything else there is always something to deal with. for me: i didnt like how far down away from teh gun i had to make the drum sit in order to have it tilt in & out. then i ruined the mag top on trying to shorten it up & i wont risk another PSL mag as a donor. Pryotex just needed some dummy rounds that stay in the very end of the drum as pushers to clear up the feed thru the tower.

there are others who have done their own version of a custom mag but you just have to search around here & WG to see them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.