Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AK Safety Malfunction

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ken3030 View Post
    Good info guys. I've been inadvertently fixing that safety problem since my first build and I couldn't get the selector lever installed after installing the FCG. I noticed then that one of the selectors I had was cut away as shown and have been doing that since.
    Yep., as noted in the link above the install or removal of the FCG can be obstructed depending on how it is done or if a retainer plate vs wire is used. Some folks removed material from the rear of the disconnector to clear the selector vs trimming the paddle left side etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow 2.5 minutes of not relevance. And no I'm not going to another forum to read the issue there... which is why I'm reading it HERE

I have to agree with biggun on this. This is NOT an issue if you make sure to disassemble your firearm UNLOADED. Which, I think, is how you are supposed to do it... just like a Glock!

This is NOT an accidental discharge condition. There is no way to force a properly assembled, properly functioning firearm to malfunction into an accidental discharge by forcing the safety into a vertical position like that. If your top cover is not to spec and doesn't catch the safety then you have other considerations. But I digress.

And who removes the safety without first setting the hammer to the "fired" position during disassembly? Let's see... remove carrier, release hammer, remove safety. Anyone who has been around AK's long enough has "AK thumb" due to accidentally snapping their finger by that hammer and will know by pain alone not to do that! This appears to me as well to be an answer looking for a question.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Information is where you find it. Though I agree there are procedures that a knowledgeable person should follow when handling any firearm including an AK type that will avoid any such discharge. Unfortunately not everyone who handles a firearm is well versed in all of the operating procedures.
    Some AK's like the older versions do not have a stop on the receiver cover and an uninformed individual could do something unexpected. Likewise the early M70AB1 Century builds used an AKM receiver that did not mate properly to a Zastava selector and this condition was evident in selector overtravel. They later switched receivers for their builds.

I have not nor would I have such an issue. But it is a condition that should be known by AK owners etc. just for the unlikely safety sake of handling the firearm. Not arguing the point., just information is the purpose of the post I think.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, just thought it might be useful information did not mean to start an argument.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I thought it was interesting, even though the video showed it in an extreme way that makes it sound like every AK is unsafe, then it went down hill from there
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

LOL well if you decide to take your gun a part loaded your likely going to get a discharge you don't want . I guess if it makes you feel good grind on the selecter other than possibly softening the selector an maybe wearing out sooner some day an not being a safety its not really going to hurt much .

ID be more worried by the fact that you cant load or unload the gun with the safety on . Im more careful in how much trigger creep there is in a AK with the selector on safe . IMO there should be none . The AK safety only stops you from pulling the trigger an there is no hammer block on them . zero creep trigger set ups need to be extra careful . Many AKs will go bang If you smack them with a mallet on the bottom even if the selector is on safe .

I need to see a older AK were the selecter can go past the cover to comment . Can someone be more specific ? I may be missing something

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It is semi FCG specific.Look at a Yugo or T3 top cover.I became aware of the problem after building my Tabuk sniper clone.
    My brother who is not an AK guy was shooting it freehand and was going to move back to the 100 yd bench.The selector was kinda stiff on it (just built).Holding the front handguards in the left hand he tried the safety and when it didn't just slide he gave it a jerk and it rode over the top cover and BOOM.Well that selector got milled so it wouldn't hit the disco the next day.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pupwag View Post
    It is semi FCG specific.Look at a Yugo or T3 top cover.I became aware of the problem after building my Tabuk sniper clone.
    My brother who is not an AK guy was shooting it freehand and was going to move back to the 100 yd bench.The selector was kinda stiff on it (just built).Holding the front handguards in the left hand he tried the safety and when it didn't just slide he gave it a jerk and it rode over the top cover and BOOM.Well that selector got milled so it wouldn't hit the disco the next day.
    +1., exactly the scenario for an unintended discharge.
    As noted earlier., out of spec selectors that bypass the cover, early non flared receiver covers on AKM and AK47 TYPES, Yugo types, early Century Yugo slabsides in particular with AKM receivers.
    In particular folks who do not know anything about an AK other than trying to rotate the selector upward is "safe" if rotated too far on a loaded AK it can drop the hammer on a chambered round. Just that simple. Not common but.., $hit happens

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well if nothing else its good its being discussed . I cant get my selecter past the cover on ayofmy stuff but Ill be looking for guns were you can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.