Gunco Forums banner

Steel vs Polymer AK Mags

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  nutznboltz 
#1 ·
[video=youtube;t-UfQJHcnbA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-UfQJHcnbA[/video]

#3 ·
when I see those 5.45 steel mags I think no thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! I will stick with my east german bakelites , for my 47s I will stick with the steel cause I got tons again EG

also should note they said polymer magazines and not bakelite vs steel

#4 ·
Those poor abused magazines...

I try to keep my mags for the 7.62 AKs Chinese steel and the 5.45 mags are polymer or bakelite. I had most of the steel mags before the 74s even became available here, so I stick with them.

Different materials is mainly so I don't grab the wrong mag, also the East German bakelites were the ones I initially stocked up on when I built my first 74 because they were about the only cheap mags available. When the $5 Circle 10 and 21 polymer mags at Ohio Rapid Fire came along later I grabbed them too!

Damn, I miss the old days.

#5 ·
Does anyone else mark their mags? I used to notch mine. Now I just wrap a narrow band of camo duct tape around the bottom of the body on the good ones. I too miss the good old days.
And sometimes it seems like we're going to miss these days also.

#6 ·
Since I have never have a bad AK mag I never bothered to mark them. AR mags, yeah I've had a few bad ones. Had. Back when the AW ban made them damn expensive I replaced springs and followers and got most of my old Vietnam era surplus ones running again. Now that new AL ones are $6.99 and Magpuls are $10, if I discover a bad magazine it gets tossed in the recycling bin!

These ARE the good old days again when it comes to ARs and it may get even better if Trump follows through on his 2A promises. Lowers are cheaper than even pre-'94 and parts kits are now about the same.

#8 ·
I use to visit this old school gun shop in Cincy every few months to check his inventory about ten years back. I would always see just one of those cute little steel 5rd AK47 magazines for $10.00. After looking at all the guns, I would buy that one 5 round mag. I now have like 8 of them. All Chinese with different stamps on the bottom plate. Never tried one yet. PS: they have the bolt hold open follower's.

#9 ·
Never had an issue with all the new Hungarian 20's I bought maybe two decades ago. A Euro 40 rd AK poly has hiccuped a time or two. Colt 20's I bought in bulk,used way back. Trashed some of them.
I keep some "iffy"mags for training and for me practicing swap out drills.
Sorry for the tangent.

Reactions: Tommo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.