Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Shall do, I'll get it out in the AM.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If anyone is thinking about following along:

BARRELED RECEIVERS AND RECEIVERS FOR #3 (& #4 ENFIELD & 308 2A)

BRITISH ENFIELD BUILDERS PROJECTS
    BUILD YOUR OWN GOODIE FROM YOUR OWN PARTS, STASH & “BUY INS”. BARRELED RECEIVERS AND RECEIVERS FOR #3 (& #4 ENFIELD & 308 2A) - JUST IN THE DOOR!
    1. Barreled receiver for #1 MKIII Enfield........................................... .......$75.00 GUN536
    2. Barreled receiver for #4 Enfield .................................................. ..........$75.00 GUN537
    3. Barreled receiver for model 2A .308 cal (762mm) Enfield........................$80.00 GUN538
    4. Enfield receiver milled for .45-70 conversion .........................................$47.50 GUN539

Looks like Sarco found another stash of Navy Arms inventory...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've been puttering, though no shop time yet.

The bolt I bought a few years back was badly worn; it had way too much "overturn" on the bolt head. The Enfield bolt head is threaded to the body, and when things get worn, the parts don't index right any more. I considered various methods of repair, and finally said "screw it" and ordered a brand new bolt and bolt head. They should be in next week.

I also ordered a bunch of the little bits and bobs I need to finish off the rifle - trigger guard screws, buttstock spring washer, etc. Remember, I started with a bare receiver I bought from a guy here on Gunco, not a complete rifle, or even an action. This is truly a Frankengun.

After Twa sent the Remington mag he also sent along a second box with some .45-70 brass and 500 grain bullets. (THANK YOU!) I didn't pay too much attention to the Coke-can-sized monster bullets until a few days ago, when I pressed one into an empty case and tried it in the Remington mag. Fits and feeds like a charm.

Well, Well, WELL...

Though the Army standardized on the 405 grain loading, they spent a LOT of time fiddling with the .45-70-500 grain variant. At the Sandy Hook trials they reported the 500 grain performance was "superior in every way" to the wimpy 405 grain version. And while WW Greener's "The Rifle and Its Development" mentions the 500, it doesn't mention the 405 at all... there's some kind of arsenal vs. procurement backstory on the 500, I'm sure.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I finally got off the stick and ordered the rest of the bits, other than the front sight, which I'm still sussing out. I went for a brand new bolt and bolt head. So... the receiver, extractor, trigger, sear, magazine, and wood are used. Everything else - screws, washers, trigger guard, cocking piece, bolt, firing pin, springs, barrel, etc. - is "new old stock."

Theoretically, I have to cut the extractor notch in the back of the barrel, open up the breech to feed the fat .45-70 cartridges, and make some shims to tack weld to the sides of the trigger guard to keep the magazine from wobbling side to side, and then it'll be shootable.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

yes I also look forward to your project,

I (as in me) personally I would load them down for the trials/testing, lesson I learned with my fnfal build, with a mace adapter I shoot 45-70 out of my martini-henry great round
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The Navy Arms .45-70 conversions were rated for modern high-pressure loads, but I shouldn't be anywhere near that even with compressed loads of black powder. I'll probably shoot some smokeless too, but I'm past the point of trying to see how much velocity I can get.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Search tags for this page

762x54r enfield rifle

smle conversions

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.