Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: SMLE in 7.62x54R

  1. #11
    Gunco Veteran Viper Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,683
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Hello ztechnik,
    As I understand it the Ishapore Enfields were not conversions of older rifles but new manufacture of the early design made with modern steel, heat treat, and more roast beef in the receivers.

    VD

  2. #12
    Gunco Veteran [486]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MSP area, MN
    Posts
    1,631
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zteknik View Post
    hmm interesting-i wonder how its like for the ishapore ones in 308 then
    i mean is the pressure of 54r equivalent to .308?
    Pressure ain't everything, it also has that big case head, so it'd have more bolt thrust at the same pressures.

    Okay looked it up and it is only .015 bigger where it counts on .308, and .035 from .303, so it might be worth consideration, might not. Just throwing it out there.

  3. #13
    GuncoHolic zteknik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,416
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello ztechnik,
    As I understand it the Ishapore Enfields were not conversions of older rifles but new manufacture of the early design made with modern steel, heat treat, and more roast beef in the receivers.

    VD
    that makes more sense to me now
    i allways thought they were converted and beefed up somehow
    i put the 2 together and it did look like different recievers
    guess i shouldave read my enfield collecter book better
    thanks for clearing it up for me
    and thanks 486
    sounds like its possible to do it on the 308 one then
    but whats the availability on them now?
    they usta be around a lot in klintons time and fairly cheap too
    hate to butcher mine up without another

  4. #14
    Gunco Veteran Viper Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,683
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Hello zteknik,
    There is one Ishapore .308 Enfield on gb.com at about $300.oo now. Not same, same price as old days.

    At that price level I would likely customise a Mosin-Nagant into a "Russian Jungle Carbine". Hey, it's a jungle out there !!!

    VD

  5. #15
    GuncoHolic zteknik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,416
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello zteknik,
    There is one Ishapore .308 Enfield on gb.com at about $300.oo now. Not same, same price as old days.

    At that price level I would likely customise a Mosin-Nagant into a "Russian Jungle Carbine". Hey, it's a jungle out there !!!

    VD
    yea ill leave the ishapore alone-unlessif another one happens to come my way
    a russian jungle carbine-cool idea!now how to attatch the cone flash hider?

  6. #16
    Gunco Veteran Viper Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,683
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Hello zteknik,
    My 4 year old Numrich GPC catalog shows some Jungle Carbine front sight/flash cone assemblies (with and w/o bayo lug). They attach with two pins to the barrel. ITEM#254060 has bayo lug, the sight blade is extra...

    ITEM#852300 is same assembly less bayo lug for less $. These are cast steel items (not pot metal caca).

    Welcome to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. (customer service link)

    VD

  7. #17
    GuncoHolic zteknik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,416
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello zteknik,
    My 4 year old Numrich GPC catalog shows some Jungle Carbine front sight/flash cone assemblies (with and w/o bayo lug). They attach with two pins to the barrel. ITEM#254060 has bayo lug, the sight blade is extra...

    ITEM#852300 is same assembly less bayo lug for less $. These are cast steel items (not pot metal caca).

    Welcome to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. (customer service link)

    VD
    cool!
    thanks VD!
    there close to home too!be quicker to pick it up than wait for the mail!
    time to start measuring!
    i wonder if you could modify an enfield mag to fit a moisin?

  8. #18
    Gunco Veteran Viper Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,683
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Hello zteknik,
    The Enfield box mag is too wide for the Mosin-nagant receiver. The MN uses a single stack mag in that very narrow receiver. The MN mag perhaps could be re-shaped a bit to resemble the Brit profile.

    VD

  9. #19
    GuncoHolic zteknik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,416
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    hey vd
    you think its possible to make one of those 10 rond sks mags work?
    if i remember correctly there single stack
    but i think the leangth of the top is too long where it fits into the sks reciever
    and im not sure if you shorten it would it function properly
    id have to pull them out and compare
    anyway sorry to trx for hijacking your thread !
    well give it back to him and if i have anymore toughts on the "jungle naggant" ill post a new thread-and if ya have any more thoughts on it pm me so we dont tie up trxs thread
    thanks

    thanks

  10. #20
    TRX
    TRX is online now
    Gunco Irregular TRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    2,542
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    I got as far as buying a bolt assembly, then gave the receiver to a friend. He'll be sending a barrel and other parts for me to finish it up in .405 Winchester, and a second barrel for 7.62x54R. I've never done a switchbarrel job before; I'll probably cheat and use a nut like the Savage-based actions.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •