TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

PM sent!
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

And received,,

the mag will be out in the mail to ya this AM TRX,,glad you can use it.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This morning's mail delivery brought twa's package. I immediately ripped it open and stuffed the mag full of new Remington .45-70s. Oooh, perfect! The lips of the magazine hold the cartridge nearly horizontal instead of letting them flip up at over 45 degrees like the Gibbs magazines, and they slide cleanly out and forward. And it holds five, instead of four like the Gibbs.

Thanks, Les!

The magazine is both narrower and shorter front-to-back than an SMLE mag, so there's room for an adapter plate or adjustment of position. The latch bits aren't anywhere near the SMLE positions, though they look similar. I'll probably modify the rifle's mag latch and leave the magazine unmolested.

I may wind up with the only .45-70 SMLE that will hold a full five rounds of .45-70!

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

WHOA! I got home tonight and had a bit more time to play with the magazine. It DOES snick into place with the Enfield magazine catch. And, with just that, no trigger guard metal, and the front of the magazine touching the front of the receiver, there's a smooth ramp out of the magazine and into the chamber.

The bolt slides the cartridge forward, the nose lifts up into the chamber while the rim is still guided by the mag lips, once the first 3/4" or so of the cartridge is in the chamber, the back is guided up from the lips by the stamped-in side ramps, and the now-level cartridge slides straight into the chamber.

Excuse me, I feel a big "yee-HAW" coming on right now...

I knew it could be made to work; I wasn't expecting all it would need is a little filler in the magwell to keep it from rattling around...

[doing the happy dance]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Wow,,that sure got there fast!!! I can just imagine seeing ya dancing around like Peanuts right about now!

Glad it works well. The feed lips looked in pretty good shape and not molested so maybe just a quick bead blast and rebluing and ,,it will look good too sense you know it works now.

Do ya think,, you got your 6 bucks worth it cost to ship it ???

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Oh, most definitely! [evil overlord] bwa-ha-HAA! [/evil overlord]

What did you pick up that magazine for, anyway? Did you have some project like this in mind?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

No , actually It's been kicking around in a misc. box of parts for 40+ years and I had the original Rem/Lee it went to at one time,,ya,,I'm that old!!! Those were relatively common when I came up through in the late 50 early 60's. Wish they still were.

I'm glad it's helpful to you. Which model is the Rem / Lee you got? I'll pull up the exploded view of it on line and ,,,you never know,,,,

I just may have something else in that box for that particular gun,,ya just never know! Me and Pa did allot of old gun restorations up back in the day and I still got a big ol box of goodies kicking around I don't have a clue on,,,ya never know what just may be in there???? But If I have anything else for your particular model rifle,,it's yours too. I love to see old guns resurrected just for the history and love of shooting them!

I'm a huge old gun nut if you hadn't noticed!! Mausers especially, I have/ or have had, more of them than anything else, and still do!

Next question,,,why am I on a AK forum???? Just originally came on to get some info on a AK trigger issue i had, and I met some good folks, so I stayed on. I think most of us here are more than just AK fans and our likes go back to many of the guns from way back, in my case its true anyways.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It's an SMLE, not a Remington-Lee. Though I think a Lee would look very nice in my gun rack...

I have an 1891 Mauser in original condition, an 1895 action that I have some eventual plans for, a 1917 Enfield sporter, and a Type 99 Arisaka sporter. I figure anything a '98 Mauser can do, the P-17 can do better. <grin>

Which reminds me, in a few weeks my Remington Model 8 will be 100. I'm going to have to make the 50-mile drive to the Game & Fish range and have a little party...

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So, with the magazine issue under control, I looked at the trigger. Huber Concepts makes a "match" trigger for the SMLE. They sell for $100-ish, and that's just a trigger, not a fire control group. The cost on that is more than I can swallow.

The SMLE's trigger assembly is dirt-simple - trigger, a giant V-shaped sear, and the cocking piece. That's it. So your only places to play around are the engagement of the sear to the cocking piece (like the hammer and sear of a 1911) and the trigger-to-sear point.

The standard SMLE has a trigger with two humps on it, for a traditional military two-stage trigger. Though sportsmen and target shooters tend to hate that, I don't have any problems with it, since that's what I learned to shoot with.

The way the sear and trigger are pivoted, there's line contact at whichever trigger hump engages the sear. The hump is dragged slightly along the sear as the two parts swing in different directions, so there's a bit of friction there.

What Huber does is replace the humps with a round ball backed by an adjustment screw. On at least some of them, the ball is a loose part. The ball gives point contact, so it's a bit less sensitive to dirt and roughness on the sear than the standard bits. And that's what you get for your hundred bucks.

I looked at the pictures for a while, decided it would be easy enough to modify a stock $5 replacement trigger to match the Huber, but I'm not really persuaded it would get me much. The Voices suggested modifying the stock trigger to take a $1 sealed roller bearing off eBay, which was interesting... but I think Plan A will be to use some polishing compound and those little Dremel cloth drums and see if I can put a mirror polish on the original trigger and sear. I have several grades of polishing compound if I can remember where I put the containers, and I have a collection of those little Dremel buffs, some of which are at least 30 years old, that I've never had any use for.

While I'm at it I'll look at the trigger and sear pins and their holes and see if they can stand any polishing. If I think there's still room for improvement after I shoot it, I might go with the roller bearing, "just because I can." But I doubt it will be necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The Remington-Lee magazine also flawlessly feeds factory .405 Winchester. I have a friend who is nuts about that caliber. I don't have any .444 Marlin on hand, but since the diameter is between the .405 and .45-70 I expect it would also work.

The case length of the .45-90 is .300" longer than the .45-70. There's .305-.310" between the end of a factory Remington .45-70 and the inside of the magazine. A slight adjustment of bullet shape or OAL would be no trouble for a handloader; I doubt many .45-90 shooters buy factory ammunition anyway.

It's hard to describe how slickly the .45-70s slide forward and pop out of the magazine. A lot of it is due to the very light magazine spring so there's not much friction at the magazine lips; the .405s will fit in a Saiga-410 magazine, but it takes a thumb and some effort to move one. You can flick a .405 out of the Remington-Lee magazine with a fingernail, perfectly guided.

I love this magazine so much, I might build a dedicated web site for it. I will name the magazine My Preciousss...

Thanks again, Les!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.