Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P-17 Enfield build

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I have one that I got from the CMP.. so I have a stock military.. one already.. The barrel is a little rough on both as they are both original..tubes... just some minor pitting I bet they will shoot just fine... the new (to me) one is in good shape and if I found the parts cheap to referb back to mil spec I'd do so.. but I aind gonna spend a bunch of $$ on it as this will no longer be a bargin..I saw a good one in a pawn shop a few months ago.. for about $500 I thought about getting it but passed.. but I got this one because I felt $200 was a good price for a nice bolt gun in 30-06..I have way to many projects already to take on a rebuild but I will see if I can get the magazine spring and follower as that make the gun functional.. B2B

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I can't quite understand why the price on the P14/P17 has shot up so much. Yeah, SMLEs, Mausers, SKSs, etc. all went up in the last 20 years, but for 75 years you almost couldn't give a P17 away. Too many people were put off by the dogleg bolt handle and batwing sight ears, I guess.

Possibly it finally got around about what a fine rifle it is... if so, I wish someone hadn't clued the masses in on the secret.

Oh, I finally realized I can have my .30-06 and a wildcat too! On another board, someone posted about their newest wildcat, made by necking a .35 Whelen down to .30 caliber. He got dogpiled by a bunch of people who *should* have realized it was a joke - I mean, the message had everything but a laugh track mp3 - but it was one of those places where the "experts" are pompous and humorless, and they Were Not Amused when someone finally pointed the joke out to them.

Since my military barrel isn't marked, my main task before reassembling the rifle is to nicely mark it as ".30 Whelen."

Feedback Score

I ended up with 10 P-14 actions. So I made one in 6mm/303. This was due to the thousands of 6mm bullets i got for free. It is a fun and safe action to work with. Have fun with your project.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How did you like the 6mm/303? Which one did you chamber it for? I've seen at least one Canadian and two Australian variants with slightly different tapers and shoulder angles.

If you look over in my Ross thread, I'm doing an almost-wildcat, a rimmed 6.5 Mannlicher using a shortened Mannlicher die and .303 brass.

There was an earlier rimmed 6.5 Mannlicher, but it's very rare, and dies and reamers are expensive, and brass... if you have to ask... The Mannlicher case shape is very similar to .303, so I'm not expecting feed problems from the magazine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.