Gunco Forums banner

Mauser 8mm..german?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 ·
Sorry, I dont know that much about classic /vintage firearms, but I see some Nazi markings on this inheirited 8mm...help me out. It almost looks too clean to be authentic...66555 stamped on the buttstock

thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The silver donut looking rivet in the buttstock is a tool to help remove the firing pin from the striker. Remove the striker assembly from the bolt, stick the firing pin into the rivet and push down on the bolt shroud until the sear body is clear of the shroud and twist it 90 degrees and remove. Or at least that's how I remember doing it many moons ago.

*******ZTEKNIK beat me to it!

#11 ·
I found a site back a while ago, I can't remember for the life of me what it was called, but it had all the mauser codes and how to decipher them. Try some searchs, thats how I found it. It helped me track down info on the several I have, I'll look later and see if I can find it again. It was an really helpfull site. It looks like a mitchells to me too, is it import stamped, most of the ones I have are not other than a few recent purchases from the last 3-4 years, I think I got about a half dozen Mausers, or more I've allways liked them very much.

#13 ·
Definitely looks like a Mitchell's Mausers refurb. I don't know about them faking marks, but the refurbs are beautifully done. I wish I had bought one when they were cheaper.

#17 ·
Mitchells are not collector piece in fact you try to sell this to a real collector and he will laugh at you
IMHO its junk a great shooter

never refinish a collectable

sprat
Very true Sprat. On the flip side of the coin though, some folks like the aesthetics of a beautifully done overhaul. It's only original once, and it loses that original value, but it's a beautiful shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.