Gunco Forums banner

mosin revamp for the 13 y/o

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  smartbomb 
#1 · (Edited)
mosin revamp for the 13 y/o (GETS HIS 1ST BAMBI)

well the little shit tells me that he needs a rifle to hunt with. all i have are ak's and a few mosins. he likes the mosin but is not too thrilled with the original stock. got crafty today.

the rear section is obvious, the mid is pure mosin and the front is from a chinese air rifle. it aint perfect but what can i expect in a few hours.

See less See more
#6 ·
Viper, he and the 16 y/o both have a mosin and shoot them regularly. this was "his". i showed him another sporterzed mosin (i think it was here--the heavy barrel one). he liked what was done so i was inspired by the grafted stock idea. the urban tiger stripe was all his idea. it must have come from some video game.

i will tear it apart tonite and install the scope mount and bent bolt handle.

#7 ·
looks dam nice and was cheap to do. these are great guns to mess with. a 7.62x25 insert is a valiable or was from sports amn guide I have one it works. if you reload then just do a some lowere recaol loads with 125 grain bullets if recoil is a issue.
about 8 grains of red dot should make a good plinker load as well. I dod that so my kid could shoot my 30-06 in the back yard. damm accurate to. researche "the load" on the net.

funny you mention video games inspiring the stock but I have heard my kid name off all kindfs of guns I have never heard of from some damm video game he plays. LOL

did you take any pictures of building it???

#8 ·
did you take any pictures of building it???
no! i didnt even think about it until i was done. got in the grove and just started cutting away.

1bg, i have a mosin receiver and one of those monster mg barrels that classic sells. i ended up with it, along with a rock solid scope mount and bent bolt body. got all this stuff in a trade locally. i need to get a friend to turn down the upper part of the barrel. i am thinking i will use this stock as a mold. i have about 100 sq ft of carbon fiber and about 500 sq ft of carbon/kevlar. i have never hand laid a stock, but have done other things......

#9 ·
Looking good Smart!!!! I think that bull barrel Mosin was over at Saiga12 forum. That was one wicked Mosin. I hope he's happy with it now. Sure looks cool.

#14 ·
did it this way

where the psl stock grafts to the mosin, i used a counersunk bolt thru and a 3/8"x1"x3/4" spline joint. used lots of gorilla glue and clamped the crap out of every joint. fiberglass filler to conceal the joints and sand like crazy

#19 ·
1bg the bolt is from rock solid. I ground the ball end flat just for kicks. I accidently spilled some of the instant blue on it and be damned if it didn't turn. Went ahead and tried the rest and was shocked. I had the same thought on a mold. I have 3-400 sq/ft of carbon/kevlar that is begging to be used.

#23 ·
I have no idea how I missed this post earlier.

That is some really nice Shade-Tree Gunsmithing! This is the kind of work that just gets me all kinds of excited!!!

I really liked the earlier tigger-stripes. The latter paint was nice as well. I won't ask about accuracy because it is obvious that this is Minute of Buck capable....

Really nice job, and very inventive! I am in awe of the finished product.

If you do decide to go with a removable mag setup, go with a centerfeed or single stack mag and build to suit the mag that you choose. The narrow top-end of the mag will drastically reduce the amount of meat you will need to remove (and the amount of inherent strength of the receiver). I have done this kind of mod to a Mauser in the past using M-14 and FN-FAL mags, and the result compromises the weapon IMHO. Using an AI style mag was a vast improvement in both reliability and in the weapon remaining sound and safe in operation.....

Mosin's are nice rifles, but they do depend on that fixed mag for some of their inherent strength.

Just my $0.02.

If you do decide to do that mod, POST A LOT OF PICS!!!!

Please.

BTW: This trigger has been recommended to me in the past. I have not tried one yet, but I figured I would pass it on...

Mosin-Nagant

And then there is Timney:

https://timneytriggers.com/timneystore/index.php?l=product_list&c=21

Regards,

#25 ·
belson my brother in law came to get my kid and asked if we had the scope zeroed. i said yes. he asked, and i quote, "so are you grouping a paper plate at 50?" his jaw dropped when it told him that my kid was about 1/4th that at a 100. conner consistently shoots this rifle with a 2-3" spread off of sandbags.

my grafted stock did come apart 3 days before he went out. we made one last range trip and the spline joint at the receiver/butt failed. overnited an ati monte carlo stock and had him ready to shoot the next day.

coils funny you said war paint. my brother in law is a hardcore fsu seminole and thats exactly what he said.

#26 ·
[quote=smartbomb;
"my grafted stock did come apart 3 days before he went out. we made one last range trip and the spline joint at the receiver/butt failed. overnited an ati monte carlo stock and had him ready to shoot the next day."

The high stressed areas could be thinned of wood and beefed up with fiberglass... I have done this with WW-II Jap rifle stocks and chicom SKS stocks made of soft jungle junkwood.

VD

#27 ·
VD i used a spline joint and "thought" it was stout enough. i think it was 1/4" wide x 1/2" long but only went a bit over 1/4" deep. it snapped. i will most likely hog it out and use a piece of aluminum bar stock. in hind sight i should had mortised the joint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.