Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jap Arisaka type 99 7.7

Feedback Score

Default Jap Arisaka type 99 7.7

Hey everyone so, my grandfather recently gave me a japanese arisaka type 99 chambered in 7.7. the problem is this arisaka has been sporterized (new and bent bolt handle, sport stock and scope added. I really want to convert it back to its original version which will include stock, bolt handle, no scope, original boyonet (if i can find it) original steel sights). my rifle does have some rare items the mum is in tact as it was captured during the war all the markings are clear as day the metal is in perfect condition, the safety is of the decorative type unlike the late war type. so my question for everyone is, is it possible to unbend the bolt handle? where to find original parts and what parts have numbers on them that need to match? thanks in advance for any and all advice and answers.

Feedback Score

Straightening the bolt handle could be tricky since the metal is likely strechted from being bent. Carefully heating it at the beginning of the bend and gradually bending it back straight might do the trick, but if the metal stretch is to much, it still may not look exactly right. If not it would have to be cut, rewelded and carefully polished to get the original look to retain the original bolt. Some of the more experienced members here may have a better idea though.

Feedback Score

thanks withers i hadnt thought about the stretching. by some miracle theres actually a gun shop in the tampa area that carries parts for arisakas and his website advertises original arisaka bolts and bolt handles. im just dissapointed that it wont have a matching serial number on the underside. so your idea or cutting and rewelding has made me wonder if this would be possible in order to retain the all matching serial number.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I understand you want to keep matching numbers, but the first thing I'd look into is the coat of the original parts, if they are about the same as a whole rifle you might be better off just buying another gun.
    Even if you find all the parts for a good price, it still has holes in it for the scope mount, that drops the value of it very much right there. I think one with the Mum scrubbed but unmolested would still be more collectable then one that was modified and converted back.

Just my $.02
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

thanks coils i appreciate your sound advice. although upping the value would be nice, its more a fairly heirloom that my great uncle captured on Iwo Jima. so i wanted to restore it and give it back to my grandfather.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

so i wanted to restore it and give it back to my grandfather.
    Ah, that changes it some then, thought it was yours now.
    I'll ask a couple people to see if they know of anyone that has parts.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by balls2elwall View Post
    thanks coils i appreciate your sound advice. although upping the value would be nice, its more a fairly heirloom that my great uncle captured on Iwo Jima. so i wanted to restore it and give it back to my grandfather.
    That is nice of yah too do that. Good man.
    I am no expert on the weapon.
    We have a captured one at our American Legion.
    Guess the originals with the "mum" have a bit higher value.
    End of the war, read where the japs took the mum off the weapons they had in stock, before turning them in.
    Had something?? too do with the emperor.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    End of the war, read where the japs took the mum off the weapons they had in stock, before turning them in.
    Had something?? too do with the emperor.
    Indeed, the mum was the mark of the emperor in Japan. Surrendered weapons had the mum scratched off so as not to dishonor him. Emperors in Japan have been, historically, god figures or at the very least divinely appointed.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by withers.45 View Post
    Indeed, the mum was the mark of the emperor in Japan. Surrendered weapons had the mum scratched off so as not to dishonor him. Emperors in Japan have been, historically, god figures or at the very least divinely appointed.
    Thank you. That is what I thought.
    Their is one at the American Legion I belong too. Captured and donated from the Island fighting in Alaska. Mum intact, bayo, all the extras.
    Guess like with the one balsl2elWall has. Troops brought them home.
    Hell the war is over. Time too go hunting. Conversion for comfort time.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

I picked one up at the local swap meet and did some reading. I guess back in the 50's 60's these things were pretty common like the nagants at big 5 sporting goods. (mum ground off). Seems the ammo is pretty expensive I think I saw norma makes them for 37 dollar a box of 20. jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.