Gunco Forums banner

Need Opinions

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
Take a look at this Mauser bolt tutorial and tell me whether or not this would be considered butcher work. Aside from the plastic knob, do you think it will last?
Any and all comments and or other advice would be appreciated.

mauboltssolder

#2 ·
Yep, Bubba job at least. Note he says this is for the tinkerer without an oxy torch or welder, yet he is using a bolt heatsink and paste to protect the threads while heating. I would say 99.9% of the people with a welder lack that tool, how about the welderless? What would worry me about the longevity is the area where he soldered, if the heat got too high the grade 8 bolt would bend easily there.

#6 ·
I've tried this before on a Nagant, works, but a bit crude for my tastes if done as shown. I modified the tequnieque a bit before I did mine. I went to a 1/2" and cut a shoulder to go into the drilled bolt portion of the bolt and flattened it to a spoon type handle shape before installing and then welded it on with a mig and used a heat sink in the bolt as well as paste. I also case hardened it for the look of it. It worked well overall, I wanted to try it just for the experimentation value of it. I'd recomend it, if done the way I did, don't think I'd use the 1/4" though, to weak for those hard to chambering x54 rounds in my opinion. The basic idea is ok though, just needed to be stronger in my opinion, that's why I went the extra mile on mine and did it "my way". Worked fine for the 3 years I had it and is still going strong for the new owner 5 years down the road with tons of rounds through it. No issues if you do it correctly, and stronger. I'd be leary about doing it the way discribed in the original tutorial though. That's been my experiances with this method. My method was stronger and looked good too, so this method does have merrit if you don't have a bending jig. Next time I see my bud I'll try to remember to get a pic and post it.

#7 ·
Hello All,

I know Steve Wagner. He's an upstanding guy, and a decent hobby gunsmith. He like to tinker, and he has come up with some interesting things. Don't be too hard on him, he is not a bubba.

Read some of the other stuff he does on his site.

Just my $0.02

#10 ·
I agree with belson, I don't think it's a buba method at all, could just have been stronger. And the 1/4" hole is all your going to get on the bolt handle stub anyways. I just think by turning down the 1/2 to 1/4 and leaving a shoulder for the stub to rest on then weld the top where the hole comes through the stub, much stronger with minimal welding, one, 1/4" spot weld. Very little heat and simple. Win Win method to me and far from a last option!! Hell, I stold his method with my modifications to his idea, years ago, it really does work well. Try it out on an old Nagant some time like I did, it will surprise ya how easy it is and how well it realy works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.