Gunco Forums banner

The Mauser from bellson

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
Well boys and girls here's the Mauser I got from bellson all ready to go. Put a 4x16x42 Nikon on it with side focus and have to go sight it in now, I think???? I'm not really sure I'm going to keep the scope though, I was very disapointed in it, no screw in lens caps, the power ring is very sloppy and loose, the side focus lock only sorta locks( puts it into a detent type mode w/clicks) but a bump would move it for sure. Philippienes manufacture too???? What happened to the japaneese quality optics of the past?? No sun shade included $35 extra. For $350+ shade I don't really think it's all THAT much better than one of the $130 Bushnells I've got, a little better but I don't have anything else comprible to compair it to, but it's only slightly better. The finish is weird too the slightest touch leaves a mark and it collects dirt like crazy, almost like an old, dry, rubber armored scope, durability?????. Pretty disapointed in it over all and I'm not sure I'll keep it, it might just might go back. A couple pics of my fancy shooting bench I built a couple years ago are in there too 4 ft long 3 ft wide, NICE. I hate those little scrunched up shooting benchs ya can't get commfy on and have no place for your ammo and such. Of course it weighs as much as the Queen Mary but it's a very stable shooting platform. 1 1/2" thick top, 1 3/4" black iron pipe legs with caps on the ground side and stainless hardware, pretty rugged and stable. As you can tell, I've never been accused of "under building" anything!!!! The only thing left to do on the Mauser is to do the engine turning/jeweling on the bolt and bolt relese face and to get the engraved scope rings here now I know the hight requirement and replace the floor plate with an ingraved one, there's a couple spots on the stock I don't care for so I'll redo that also, then she'll be done, done! PHEWWWW lots of fussing around for a new gun, I just can't leave things well enough alone I guess, YEA RIGHT, look who I'm talking to, you guys are as bad as me!!! I've seen that already with you all!! What makes us act so???

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Excuse me, I need to pound myself on the back really hard!!!

That Mauser is a real tack driver. I will defer to TWA to define how good or not that rifle is. I am told that I build really good rifles (although, TWA did gig me on some fit and finish points, which were probably well deserved). But I am not the best marksman....Bad eyes. But I try really hard!

#3 ·
Lengthy story, and pictures to go with it, but I don't think you said what caliber it was. It looks like a nice gun. I bought a Mauser action from my buddy the other day, but I havn't decided what to make out of it. I have shells, brass and dies for a 25.06, but I already have a 257 Ackley Imp. He wants me to make it into a 6.5-284. It will be a little while before it is time to decide anyway. Mausers are some slick actions. Good shooting.

#4 ·
That one was in a really tight .308 chamber. Since TWA is experienced, and has shown a proclivity for accuracy at distance exceeding 700 meters, that was the action that I sold to him. Maybe he will grace us with a recent range report. I read the last post yelling at the top of my lungs..."SO HOW DOES IT SHOOT FOR YOU????????

In truth, TWA already PM'd me to express all of that. I will let him post publicly if it meets his fancy. I have one of these stainless actions left. PM me if interested...

Regards,

#6 ·
OH YA, it's a tack driver all right!!!!! I'll wait for the REAL scope to get mounted before I do some long range stuff with it, most I've shot so far is 200 m and was bouncing cans around like it was nothing. I only have a 3-10.5x 45mm Bushnell on it right now and ended up sending back the Nikon pictured on it, for all the reasons i listed above. What ever gigs there were with this gun were just because of my persnickity nature, not because of the gun, or the build, what ever gigs there were, were miniscule. The only thing that needed attenntion was the safty needed a bit more stock relief to allow it to go fully into the safe detent, not a biggie,2 seconds with the dremel and done. I'm like the rest of you here, I just can't leave well enough alone and always have to add or tweak something!!! You know how it is. Otherwise I just did some polishing to get the bolt & bolt relese & follower ready for the jeweling, just cosmetic stuff. Once I do get the "Real scope" for it I'll lap the rings like you should, I didn't on the 3-10 and it still shoots great. This is the target I shot last week with it, it was only at 200 but all the 6 holes were one, I love being "one with the holes"!! So I' think this target say's it all. I got great expectations for this gun once it's broke in all the way, and I've found that "Sweet Load" for it, but for sure, IT SHOOTS as is!!!!! I was just using a load that I had developed for my Ruger M77 varmit gun. 168gr match kings. Now you've gone and done it bellson!!! I just might need to do some dickering with you on the other one sense you still got it, what ya got for barrels for the other one??? 06 Heavy barrel? HUMMMMM lets see heavy barrel 06, grade 3-4 manlicher stock, LOVE manlicer stocks and Mausers!!! Just what I need, Mauser about # 10 or so, make me a deal I can't refuse bellson!!!! PM me, full action other than stock, I'll build or find a stock. Just wish I still had dads replicator, that made inletting a stock real easy. I think Saterdays 6 round target will say it all when it comes to the way it shoots!!! What ya think boys? Just wait till I get it tweeked and a good scope on it!! Should be dime size by then. These are the size groups I normally shoot at around 5-600 with my other tweeked toys. I may be old and decrepid, but the old boy can still shoot!! Can't climb, walk ,work or f**k like I used to, but THANK GOD I can sill shoot!!! Some consolation anyways!!

Attachments

#9 ·
Just to throw my $0.02 in -- My avatar is a 400 yard target from the mauser Bellson build for me years ago. Same stock, different barrel, etc etc etc. You can find the thread on this if you search on "Hole punch"

#10 ·
NICE jrs, can't wait for a decent scope so I can see that far, don't really want to pull one from anouther gun, even though it would give me an excuse to sight in two guns, instead of just one, HUMMMMMMM, well maybe???? No, No, new scope!! I'll just shoot it twice as long, same effect. Ya that works!!

#11 ·
New Millett 4x16x50 side focus on the way. Can't wait till next Tues/ Wed, then maybe we can put her through here paces and see what she's got then. Have any of you other guys gotten a Nikon lately? Just wondering, don't know if I just got a bumb scope or what??? I've never had issues with any other thing made by them before, you??

#12 ·
Had some experience a couple of months ago with one on a Savage day at the Range. Nice, clear, liked it for the most part. I know what you mean about the side focus. After using it, I decided that Nikon was not what I wanted. A few of the Savage Nazis really like them and swear by the brand, and that holds a lot of weight with me...Those guys are pretty serious about their gear.....But I was not really that impressed by the overall package.

Please do me a favor, please take some time and give us a clear and concise range report on the Millett. Exact model, how it looks, how it works. I am especially interested in changes in focus and magnification, so; shoot at 300M, change focus for 600M without changing anything else, and then go back to original focus at 300M and tell me if the scope stays consistent. Same thing for elevation and windage....Can you dial in 25 clicks of elevation, and then dial it back and get a consistent impact point....

That is my gold standard of a good scope beyond the obvious like clarity, etc....

Regards,

#14 ·
Millett came and I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but ya, it looks pretty respectible for a $300 scope, I'm very impressed so far. I was worried about the "mil dot" x hairs, but there nice and fine and won't be an issue on those 300-400 yard chucks that I want this for. Thats what I was worried about most with it, most are to heavy, these are nice. The optics on mine are real good, better than the new Nikons for sure, but man it is huge!!!!! I'll bet its close to 2 lbs and big, no biggie for the Mauser though. I had to send back the rings, the ones they sent for it were 1", not 30mm , and they were in a 30mm package, DOWWWWWW!!! And the only ones I could find or had around here were too high for a proper cheek weld. More delays to keep me from shooting it DAMN!!! WTF!!!! Got our last fishing tourny this week-end due to iffy ice conditions and a pretty a good storm that will hit tonight, been dusting for the last 3 hours or so, suposed to get about a foot or so when all's said and done in the valleys and 2 days worth , never know could be 3 feet for all they know. I'll keep ya posted bellson on the box drills when I get a chance to shoot again. I really hate sighting in and evaluating something under adverse conditions, like a frigging blizzard!!!!!To many distractions. I really feel bad for you guys that live in the sun belt, you don't have to put up with this kinda weather, and have to plan everything around it, you all must be very disapointed, 4th knows all about it I'll bet. Shit when he was here he was shoveling snow too, now he's shooting gators in his back yard, what to hell?? Do I have to move South too, just to get some shoot time in?? Possibly, snows getting old, 5 months outa the year!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.