Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I D this rifle help

ak9
    Feedback Score

Default I D this rifle help

I could use a little help from the "pro's" to help me Id this rifle . The barrel length is ~28.5" long . A 7.62 ? seemed to fit in bolt and chamber .The stock /forend /top shroud ,are 3 pieces wood . The pic posted of the top of the chamber with C and a star this would lead me to think russia origin ??? the bolt has a safty thumb flip on the end ... Kinda looks like a Mosin or enfield .? but the research I've done does'nt match them exacly ... so what is it ?
    thanks
    ak9
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

some kind of turkish mauser?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

WW1 German Gew. 88 refurbished by Turkey. Can't read the remanufacture date in your picture.

Firstly, a lot of Commission 88 rifles were "Turked" (refurbished by the Turks, who put in a new, correct, 7,9x57 barrel ( one that has a .323 groove diameter).

Secondly, the use of the term "8x57" originally a German commercial sporting ammo nomenclature, wrongfully adopted by lazy Americans back in the early 1900s to denote any German Mauser (of the 7,9mm Variety), whether Military or Sporting) has led to many confused and ill informed statements regarding the Commission or M1888 rifle, its rifling, and suitability of ammo.

Thirdly, as an interim measure, the Germans themselves modified the barrels of the Gew88 rifle from .321 grooves to a long barrel lead (or throating) to accept .323 (1905 "S" Bullet); this was done at the same time that the Packet clip feed system was converted to a Stripper clip system, by a modification of the magazine, and addition of machined and brazed clip guides to the receiver walls.

More here: Turk Mauser - Gew. 88
    Karl

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

ak9
    Feedback Score

Cool

Thanks for your help... I think the manufacture date is 1910 on the reciever .On the bottom of the clip housing is a date 1914 . It is set up for stripper clip loading. There is a stamped 7.92 on top of the reciever under the wood. Can't really see any aribic script on it any where just some symbols here and there . The front site has regular # 's on it ... would this be a measure in meters? The bolt is a tear drop bend type. I bought some ammo today and cleaned and inspected it well .I'll see if it shoots tomorrow . One thing I did read about this gun is if you pull the trigger when the safety is on with a round chambered and then take the safety off it will fire... I also "dry"verified this and it does .thanks for the link karl .. so I'll see if its worth the 20$ Ipaid for it

ak9

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ak9 View Post
    v so I'll see if its worth the 20$ Ipaid for it

ak9
    So how'd that work out for ya?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

even if it stamped with a large "S" do not use modern surplus ammo, commercial 8mm mauser should work fine.
    sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Rifle testing... 101.

When you 100% not sure what it is, Karl did tell yah on this one though..
    Stable platform, 30 feet of rope.
    Then you have to yell, well legally, "Fire in the Hole" 3 times.
    Stay low, pull rope tied too trigger.
    Two or three test runs she don't blow, your good to go.
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 04-23-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What's with the sawhorse 4th? We all know ya just hand the gun to Mongo along with five rounds and tell him to fire it. If he comes back with all four fingers on each hand and all 7 toes on each foot, it's good to go! Same thing I do with mine, only his name is Jimmy.......

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

That is not a "C" it is a crescent moon & Ankara is the capitol of Turkey
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    What's with the sawhorse 4th? We all know ya just hand the gun to Mongo along with five rounds and tell him to fire it. If he comes back with all four fingers on each hand and all 7 toes on each foot, it's good to go! Same thing I do with mine, only his name is Jimmy.......
    Nice grab on that rifle ak9. Did you fire it yet?

Kernel. Mongo wont test fire anymore. I tried..
    He smashed into a Police road block on his Harley and needs a couple of knee replacements.
    He can still use his hands and one eye their not sure if they can get working again.
    Sadly he is out of testing for awhile.
    But the sawhorse works when your not sure of the round..
    We had too tie it down for the second round.
    Damn that thing flew.. Safety first.
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 04-23-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.