Gunco Forums banner

unknow 8mm Mauser ammo

5K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
Pictures up few box 8mm today , it was told as WWII 8mm ammos, however it has no marks on the back, box or anything . Does anyone know anything about it ?

See less See more
#2 ·
un-marked ammo is odd, usually un marked ammo is for clandistine shipping or unknown origin, well its brass and it has military crimped primers, and the nickel plated projectiles are eurpoean style
if you google or search the web there is a site for ammo collectors, those guy know the sh*t. the only ammo I have ever seen unmarked was chinese and they had plenty of pre-war 8mm's

sprat

#4 ·
#5 ·
That doesn't look like nickel plating, more like cupro-nickel clad bullets - common enough in the early 1900s.

A quick search using "8mm ammo no headstamp" brought up some threads indicating it might be sanitized Czech ammo.

Help ID 8mm ammo with no headstamp?
8x57mm.... No Headstamp???? Anybody???? [Archive] - Calguns.net
cupro-nickel clad bullets I agree I used the wrong term, but this what I was getting at ammo with out headstamps is for clandstine shipping
yes jap 7.7 is also not headstamped, so was a lot of chinese manuafactured 7.7 jap rimmed non rimmed

sprat

#12 · (Edited)
Let me run out to the reloading room and see if it's like some just after WW11 stuff I've got, it's curpro nickel too but I don't remember if it's stamped or not, I'll check for ya, see if it is the same. Doe's the box have any stencleing on it? That will help track it down, or is it just stencled 8x57,, Even if it's stamped 8x 92 or 8mm Mauser or a date code on the box, it may not look like one but there usually there somewhere sense not on the base ,,that could help too. What ever writing thats there can help, maybe not by me , but by those that are specification junkies,, they'll know if I can't help. Be right back Bluejack

PS,,,, Nope mine is headstamped, didn't bother to look with what, but the wooden box just has 7x92 , quanity and weight on it, sorry no help here. Didn't know if it might have been unstamped too as the box is unstamped and its in strippers and bandoliers and haven't used it in a bit,,, zombie ammo ya know. If there comming at me I won't worry bout shooting that real carrosive stuff through my nice Mausers then!!! But not now, all my mausers are beatueys and never shoot carrosive through all but 1 or 2 of them. Sorry couldn't help out bluejack. The kernnel will know I'll bet, he's amasing sometimes!!

#14 ·
Surplus 8mm mauser is getting harder to get, get what you can

last I looked on gunboards there where a few guys selling that steel case romanian stuff for hell of a lot more than it was going for last year

sprat

#15 ·
I noticed that too. I thought I'd get a case sense I haven't got that much blasting ammo, just nice fussy hand loads for hunting,, they work dandy on moose btw! But it was eaither,,really spendy,,,, carrosive,,, or just outa stock and hard to find, now 8mm's going there,, GEZZZZ here we go. Ya got to love it

#24 ·
I got a case comming,,, WOW last surplus stuff I'd bought was years ago from Century and the packing reciept was still in the crate and I paid $48 + 4.35 USPS shipping!!! Far cry from the 278.00 delivered I had to give for this case of Yugo ammo today!!!

Glad I got it though, It IS HARD to find 8mm surplus in stock most everywhere right now!! Coles, Samco, and gunbroker was the only places I found it out of maybe 35 places I looked. Well,, I did find a couple others but they were like 400+ then shipping,,, WTF???I generally get my ammo from Target Sports, there prices are competitive and free shipping on case lots, acessorys and other stuff is where they get ya shipping wise. But my "go to" for ammo lately.

Samco had the 1k loose packed crates of Persian(Iran) 50's stuff but I've never used that before and have had issues with ruptured cases with other mid eastern ammo before, how about you guys,,, ever used it?? There brass seems to be more brittle. If it's OK it's 219 there,+ whatever shipping??? 70+ lbs, so 55-60ish, a guess. And everything on gun broker was way higher, as it usually is and with only a couple bulk lots, single 400 rnd., I think it was, tins and some loose stuff. There was some turkish cupro nickle bullet ones in bandoleres but that stuff scares me, it's pretty hot and one of the ones that has the brittle cases. From my experiance. Better have a nice tight, strong gun for that stuff it's pretty hot stuff!!

Damn Blue Jack if your getting better prices and that ammos good,,,maybe I can sweet talk ya into possibly gettin me some from your sources, if I can scrounge up the bucks and your willing that is. I don't really want to get more but if it's getting that damn hard to find, it might be a good call on my part. After all,, I do have 5,, 8mm Mausers + 2 ,,6.5x55 Sweeds, 1,, 7x57 Ven, and 2,, 308's , I'm Mauser Poor!!! Damn haven't got all that much x55 eaither, more ammo to be sure I have for the future before it's a $100 a box!!! GEZZZZZ!!!!

This hobbie is getting as expensive as my ex wifes for Christs Sake!!! DOWWWW!!!

#25 ·
I took a drive yesterday back to the ammo warehouse, I clean out all the 8mm ammo he got left, some rust some clean in 3 crate. went thought it today in my driving way. got 3000rd + clean , 300rd semi-rust ( just going to shoot it ), 200rds rust (now in the river) . all these for $100 . plus other 5000rds I got last week, should be good for now .

Yugo 8mm ? I remember these, still had 14 case there left. I will let you know when he may find more , PS, the has some yugo 7.62x54r cheap too

#26 ·
I took a drive yesterday back to the ammo warehouse, I clean out all the 8mm ammo he got left, some rust some clean in 3 crate. went thought it today in my driving way. got 3000rd + clean , 300rd semi-rust ( just going to shoot it ), 200rds rust (now in the river) . all these for $100 . plus other 5000rds I got last week, should be good for now .

Yugo 8mm ? I remember these, still had 14 case there left. I will let you know when he may find more , PS, the has some yugo 7.62x54r cheap too

Man I wish I could get a deal like that on 8mm. What's he asking on the x54r Bluejack???

#27 ·
Blue Jack if this guy is a dealer PM me the contact info and I can get in touch,, never know he might possibley have some surplus 6.5x55 Swead sitting on the shelf somewhere, sure could use some of that. I'm good on the x54 for now, thanks for the heads up.

#31 ·
Thanks Blue Jack, I didn't know if he was a dealer or a friend. Myself I'd rather do busness with a smaller guy and try to help them out as opposed to XYZ Corp. myself, and if I can get things I'm lookin for at a bit better prices,,,, I'm all good with that too,,, just me.
I'd really like to find a case of surplus 6.5x55 I don't have any blasting ammo for the 2 I got,, just fussy hand load hunting/ varmit rounds. And I really hate shooting them all up, those Noslers and V-max's are getting spendy now. I'M REALLY CHEAP,, and don't wan't to shoot them all up on a target. Fussy ain't I??

That's cool let me know if it's OK with him, I've got a FFL I've had for over 30 years so he won't be dealing with a crook if that will put his mind at ease. Thanks guy.

#33 ·
Thanks sprat1,,, I've got a couple unopened boxs of the wooden bullet ones for conversation peices. but those wooden bullet ones are no good for reloading, berdaned primed, necks peirced ,and that brass is rejects and very brittle, dangeriously so. Found out about that stuff years ago from some Camp Perry pro level shooters, positivly not good to reuse, OK for once sense the blanks are only about <1/3 the pressure of a regular load. But been told by the pro shooters not to reuse it,,, EVER,,,and a couple of these factory team guys were from Hornaday and Winchester, I think the other was. I'll take there word for it.

Ya never know though, someone might just stumble accros a case somewhere,,or know someone that does have one hidden on a back, dusty old shelf,ya never know,,,,, ain't going to find it if ya don't ask around!! Plus who to hell can afford to buy a Swiss x55 nowdays anyways, even finding a good one for that matter is a challange now, no matter what the price is. So maybe someone has some ammo to sell,, reasionable.

That Swiss surplus ammo is very nice stuff, N/C too. I'd just love to find some more of that. I sure could use some I'm pretty short of 6.5. The Privi stuff dosen't shoot all that great if you ask me and some of the different cal cases seem to have smaller than normal primer pocket holes,, 6.5x55 being one,,taking an extra step to reload them with a universal decapper die. GEZZZ!! That and some Hornaday ammo is pretty much all thats avalible loaded. Like ya said,,,, spendy too!!! I'll buy components and roll my own first. Still spendy but I've got 4-500 projectiles on stock already , so won't be quite as bad, but I need the most expensive thing,, brass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.