Gunco Forums banner

Scout Rifle SCOPE for Mosin

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
I'm getting my Mosin set up as a scout rifle. Can you guys point in a good direction for a scope? I'll be using this rifle for hunting. In western WA, most hunts will be at about 100 yards. Would like the scope to be able to go to 200-300 yards as well if needed. Would prefer a variable scope.
Looking to spend about $200 for a scope. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks In Advance.

#4 ·
railbuggy,

For a proper installation, that scope requires a) a "highwall" Mosin receiver (somewhat rare and what the PU mount really needs) and b) drilling, tapping and wood removal.

It also requires grinding and/or shimming to fit the mount to the Mosin receiver else you end up with either of not being able to sight in the scope or a really odd sight picture (assuming the reticle moves as windage/elevation is adjusted per the original PU scope design).

Not an easy scope to mount and not really a "scout" scope IMHO.

#8 ·
Take that thing out and let me know ASAP!!! :)
I was looking at a weaver pistol scope, it was $210, 3-9x I think. Though I was thinking for this set up, I need a 2-6x or 2-4x. Really don't need more with this rifle.

#6 ·
I wish I'd bought more M38's when they were $49.00 at Aztec in Florida.
I like Trickyricks gunshow find I'll see if there are any on Gunbroker. I don't see cool shit like that at gunshows around here.

#9 ·
Wish I could help, can only make a suggestion from your distance info you already gave.
I'd think the 3-9x power would work ok for the 100-300 yard ranges, 3-4x would be fine for the 100 yard stuff, though I think your right about 6x being the most you'd need.

#14 ·
On the scope just try to get at least a 32 mm other wise there a bit hader to use for hunting. Thats been my experiance with the "scout mounted" scopes. That and be sure it's a compact scope, a full size will occasionally drop the case back into the action from hitting the bottom of the scope on ejection. And that would suck with a "Rackasarous" standing in front of you!!! Those are the things I've run into before.

#16 ·
No prob. I'm not a huge fan of the scout mounts, but there OK. I had one or two before and with a 40mm your able to do a pretty good lead swing on running game with them, do stay away from the 28mm though, you just don't get enough of a good sight picture for my tastes. Might just be me,,, being an old geizzer and all, but the 40mm 3x7 compact I used on that one worked very well for me. I sold that one to a friend and he took his 4th deer with it in 2 years last year, that x54 will put a smack down on a deer!!! His brother got a beatuy of a moose in Maine last year weighinging in @ a bit over 1100 lbs, dumped it right in it's tracks from what I was told. Same gun.

#18 ·
Ya I thought it looked a bit far forwards, the mount looks a bit higher than the one I had too, any issues with cheek weld on the stock with it?? Some of the stick on neopreme will solve that if there is , and it's avalible in several thickness's, it can however damage a finer finish if it's left on forever. But I've used it on several guns before with decent results and on a milt stock it shouldn't be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.