Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OOPS! I DID IT AGAIN!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default OOPS! I DID IT AGAIN!

Went by a local pawn shop today(mistake). They had a very nice byf 43 98k mauser for $350. I already have a dot 44 so I passed on it. Got back to work, checked on the interweb and found that all matching guns in simular condition are going for much higher. This one has a non-matching bolt,but everything else matches. So, long story short, I slapped a down payment on it to put it on layaway, without asking the wifes permission. Better to ask for forgivness than permission. I have an illness, a weakness if you will. I cannot pass on an old warhorse that needs a home when the price is so good.
    Last edited by mtdew; 09-18-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    Went by a local pawn shop today(mistake). They had a very nice byf 43 98k mauser for $350. I already have a DOT 44 so I passed on it. Got back to work, checked on the interweb and found that all matching guns in simular condition are going for much higher. This one has a non-matching bolt,but everything else matches. So, long story short, I slapped a down payment on it to put it on layaway, without asking the wifes permission. Better to ask for forgivness than permission. I have an illness, a weakness if you will. I cannot pass on an old warhorse that needs a home when the price is so good.
    Assuming good or better condition, a '43 byf is worth $475.00 easy. Excellent, even with a non-matched bolt (kind of an oxymoron, I know) can go as high as $650.

Nice find. It's not like they are going down in value....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The blueing is exellent, the wood has some friggen thick laquer on it that will be the first thing that gets removed. But I could tell the stock had not been severly sanded. Faint cartouches were still visable under the laquer. They only real bad thing, besides the mis- matched bolt is some idiot took the bolt disassembly disks out of the stock and replaced them with half dollars! I need bolt disassembly disks. Anybody got a spare? Here's a pic of the disk on my dot 44.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtdew; 09-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    Went by a local pawn shop today(mistake). They had a very nice byf 43 98k mauser for $350. I already have a dot 44 so I passed on it. Got back to work, checked on the interweb and found that all matching guns in simular condition are going for much higher. This one has a non-matching bolt,but everything else matches. So, long story short, I slapped a down payment on it to put it on layaway, without asking the wifes permission. Better to ask for forgivness than permission. I have an illness, a weakness if you will. I cannot pass on an old warhorse that needs a home when the price is so good.
    I feel you brother whenever I make a new purchse I throw it in to normal conversation even if it doesn't make sense. It usually sounds like this "Hey baby I was thinking maybe we should go see your family this Christmas, oh yeah I just bought a gun" lol. It usually lightens the blow

Good purchase though it sucks that the previous owner apparently made bad choices. I hope all works well with it.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

yes i did see a few disks for sale they are originals taken from destoryed stocks give me a few days to track them down and get back to you
    can't go wrong with a 98 mauser personnally I prefer matching bolts but THATS me, nothing wrong with mis-matched bolts

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Sprat. I looked around, found some on ebay, rather not use paypal if I can help it though. Would be great if you found some.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thank God I'm single and don't have to go through that anymore, cause those damn orphans just always seem to keep ending up at the door for some reason,,,, dunno why???

These,,,, POOR LOST SOULS,,, just seemed to turned up at the door step last week, some guy this brown truck keeps dropping them off here,,, whats up with that?? Must be he knows I'll give um a good home or something!!

I was quite surprised to find both Nagants were 100% matching #,,, right down to the floor plates and butt plates, very unusual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Excellent score mtdew! Cant wait to see pics of it!

Sprat, if you dont mind, i would like the same. The Mauser I recently liberated from a Pawn Shop in Oregon had the same, sans half dollars. Just blank holes where the bolt take down discs should be. If you locate some extras, After mtdew gets what he is looking for of course, id like some info!!

Again, awesome!!! Post pics once its safe and sound, and thanks sprat!

and Bellson my friend, i have read that PM from you about 90 times now, and am very much wanting to put a .308 barrel on mine, just working up the courage to buy the barrel and take on the task!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ah bro your spending all your Knob Creek money!! save some bud!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    ah bro your spending all your Knob Creek money!! save some bud!
    Sean, Denise is still hem-hawing about going or not. I may have to fire up the vtx and 2 wheel it up there if she doesnt want to go. You know its really not that expensive to go, gas is the major expense. But 10 hours of driving, or riding in the passenger side is alot for her these days. But I'm still buggin' her about it. Hope I can make it.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.