Gunco Forums banner

Mauser project

10K views 99 replies 13 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
All the Mauser talk here lately motivated Me to dig out a project that got side tracked a couple of years ago. This is my 3rd Mauser project which in no way makes me an expert on the subject, but I have picked up a few things along the way.

I had already blueprinted the receiver before the project got shelved. It's a 1937 Czechoslovakian VZ-24 (large ring Mauser)

Attachments

See less See more
#31 ·
Bedding came out mint. Very tight fit now.

1) Receiver side (top) before bedding. You can see how big the front lug recess was and the elongated rear hole.

2) Top after bedding. Perfect fit on front lug recess and rear pillar bedded in place.

3) TG side (bottom) before.

4) Rear pillar bedded in place

5) Front TG hole. You can see how much larger the original hole was and how bedded hole is not even concentric to original.

This sucker is rock solid now.

Attachments

#33 ·
GREAT CAMERA WORK . WISH I COULD GET MINE TO FOCUSE DOWN LIKE THAT.

SO THEN A STEEL TUBE GOES IN THE STOCK AN A SCREW GOES THROUGHT THE TUBE???? DO i HAVE IT RIGHT ???

AGAIN HOW COME THEY DONT ADDA A RECOIL LIG LIKE A REMINGTON OR SAVAGE OR OTHER ?????? SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE EASY TO DO AON A CUSTOM BUILD.

I ORDERED A 6MM BRX REAMER TODAY AN I MIGHT HAVE TO BUILD A MAUSER SPORTER WITH A LIGHT BARREL ALSO. I THINK i CAN CUT OFF A REMINGTON 243 BARREL AN RETHREAD AN RE CHAMBER IT. MAKES A CHEAP BUILD ( WELL SORT OF ) .

#34 ·
SO THEN A STEEL TUBE GOES IN THE STOCK AN A SCREW GOES THROUGHT THE TUBE???? DO i HAVE IT RIGHT ???

AGAIN HOW COME THEY DONT ADDA A RECOIL LIG LIKE A REMINGTON OR SAVAGE OR OTHER ?????? SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE EASY TO DO AON A CUSTOM BUILD.
Yes, If you look at post #9 in this thread, you can see where I cut the pillar (tube) to the correct length. The proper length is critical to doing it right.
You want it to tighten up like a spacer, but if it's too long or too short it will not keep the receiver and TG perfectly parallel to one another.
The pillar then gets bedded in the stock.

The Mauser does have a recoil lug in the front, that's where the front bedding takes place.

#42 ·
Mausers use a built in recoil lug, that is meant to mate with a cross-bolt in the stock in original military dress. In most sporters, there is no cross-bolt, just a good bedding job that spreads out the recoil across the entire stock where the receiver mates into it. Take a look at the Reciever pics on the first page, where the front screw goes into the reciever is a "bar". That is the recoil lug.

#46 ·
Mausers are the absolute shit. I have built many. Some awesome, some less than awesome. All were excellent rifles. Just don't listen to JRS if he decides to post. He is a liar.

TWA has legitimate bitches on the Mauser I sold to him. I'll take his criticism happily.

Mr. Posthumus also likes my work.

There are about 12 others that like me too. JRS is not to be trusted....

BTW: I built two Mausers at the same time, one for me, and one for JRS. I did all of the machining, did not mark the bits, and then did not finish the job for two months. I installed the barrels on the wrong receivers, and JRS Mauser would start to wander after 4-6 rounds due to the locking shoulders being out of spec by 3 1/1000s of an inch or so. My bad. In my defence, I sent it out to a reputable gunsmith to correct at my cost. Since then, that Mauser has been perfect. JRS never lets me forget that issue. Never mind that the Springfield 03 that I sold him (full blueprint job) hits at 1000 Meters with Iron Sights 5 out of 5. One little mistake.

Regards,

#47 ·
Just don't listen to JRS if he decides to post. He is a liar.
Bellson is the greatest person in the world. Never makes a mistake and gladly gives all his builds away free. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#48 ·
Don't want to hijack the thread, but let me just say I have some Mauser rifles and a few actions if somebody is interested in trading. I have a need for an AK74 kit to build a frankenstein .223, among other things. Everybody should have at least one Mauser...
ILL SEND YOU A PM. I DONT HAVE A COMPLETE KIT BUT I MAY HAVE A SPARE BULGY TRUNION , CARRIER & BOLT, RECOILS ASSEMPLY THAT MATCH

EDIT PM SENT .

#49 ·
LOOKING A ONE OF MANY REM 700 BARRELS I SEE THERE IS ENOUGH MATERIAL TO CUT OFF AN RE THREAD TO A MAUSER ACTION.

I JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE A 6MM BENCH REST VARIANT WILD CAT REAMER COMING IN THE MAIL.

A 19" LIGHT WIEGHT SPORTER WOULD BE SLICK A SNOT. ESPECIALY IF IT SHOT 1/2 INCH GROUPS. THE BARREL WOULD BE CHEAP FOR ME. ( IF I CAN CUT THE TREADS ON MY LATHE.

TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE SHORTER ACTIONS THAT ARE OUT THERE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO HANDEL HIGH PRESSURE. I KNOW TERE ARE SOME 98,S THAT ARE SMALL RING. I NEED TO STUDY UP.

HAS ANY ONE EVER SHORTENED A ACTION AN BOLT ON ONE OF THESE????

#50 ·
Here is a useful diagram from Boyd's gun stock site. The M-48 and 1903 Turks are both intermediate length actions and bolts (1/4" shorter than standard large ring Mausers) and all the large rings will handle the pressures. One difference between the M-48 and 1903 Turk is that the 1903 Turk has standard vs. intermediate length distance between action screws, and uses standard large ring stocks. M48 requires shorter length between action rings. There are more stocks and accessories for the large ring standard length, but a lot for the M-48 also. The 1903 Turk uses small ring barrel vs. large ring for M-48.

Attachments

#52 ·
LINK TO SOME BOLT SHORTENING PICTURES AN INFO . I COULD NOT GET TE RECIVER PAGE TO LOAD .

Mauser Bolt Conversion

I THINK SHORTENING A ACTION IS LIKELY NOT WORTH IT ID BE BETTER OFF JUST BUYING A REMINGTON OR MINI MAUSER ACTION. BUT ITS INTERESTING.

WAS CONSIDERING WELDING A REAR HALF OF A UNFINISHED REAR HALF (NON GUN) RECIVER CASING TO A DEMILLED CUT RECIVER FRONT END TO MAKE A PISTOL RECIVER . SO THE IDEA OF CUTTING AN REWELDING A BOLT ACTION RECIVER IS INTERESTING .

#55 ·
I saw a article a few years back on a mauser that was converted to 7.92 x33mm (8mm Kurz) the barrel was set back and the mag and follower were shortened

no reason a 308 barrel , plenty of those floating around , I also saw a company in brownells ( I think) that made mags and followers for shorter calibers, maybe a 7mm or 7.65 mm bolt would work for the 7.62 x 39mm conversion

the CZ plant is currently making mauser action rifles in 7.62 x 39mm so why could n't a talented builder

may thoughts

sprat

#59 ·
WELL I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO JUST REBARREL MY 308 INTO THE 6.5X55 I HAD NEVER SHOT IT OR EVEN REALLY LOOKED AT IT AFTER I GOT IT ON A TRADE, I FOUND OUT I HAVE A TURKISH MAUSER WITH A SMALL RING BOLT . ERRRRRRRR SEEMS EVERY THING IS IDENTICAL SIZE WISE TO A STANDARD 98 . THE RING ON THE FRON OF THE RECIVER HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.

ITS A NICE GUN SO IM GOING TO LEAVE IT ALONE FOR NOW.

THE SEARCH CONTINUES . IM IN NO HURRY LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.