Gunco Forums banner

Mauser project

10K views 99 replies 13 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
All the Mauser talk here lately motivated Me to dig out a project that got side tracked a couple of years ago. This is my 3rd Mauser project which in no way makes me an expert on the subject, but I have picked up a few things along the way.

I had already blueprinted the receiver before the project got shelved. It's a 1937 Czechoslovakian VZ-24 (large ring Mauser)

Attachments

See less See more
#69 ·
Firing pin assembly, ready to go into the bolt.

Left) Original Mauser firing pin, spring, bolt shroud with the military 3 position safety and cocking piece.

Right) Assembled unit with titanium FP, extra power spring and sporter style bolt shroud with no safety mechanism (which I moved to the trigger)

The FP/spring change makes a huge difference in the lock time on a mauser. The factory FP on these things is freakin heavy. Lock time is cut by over a third by going to the light weight pin and heavier spring.

Attachments

#74 ·
I reamed one of my Turk large rings to 8mm-06 wildcat. It had excess head space so I figured why not. A few guys on surplusrifleforum.com went in with me to buy a reamer, and pass it around. It gets you halfway between 30-06 and .338-06, and looks promising. I need to take it out and give it some love, see what it will do...

#79 ·
Most folks pass on the turkish mausers but they really do make great sporters. The only thing is its a large ring that takes a small ring bbl, so getting a bbl in a decent calibur is not as easy as getting one for a true large ring. E.R. Shaw will make you a bbl in one of the longer, higher pressure chamberings, i.e. 30-06,270 win, 308 win,etc that costs no more than their standard bbls, or at least they used to. So dont pass up a mauser simply because its a "crappy" turk. I dont know why they got such a bad rap. edit: I would like to see a bolt gun forum here.

#80 ·
i HAVE A SPORTERISED TURK MAUSER K KALE . ITS HAS A REALLY LIGHT WEIGHT PLASTIC STOCK WITH THAT USES NO FLOOR PLATE ITS A REALLY NICELY BALANCED GUN HAS A LIGHT WEIGHT 308 WIN SPORTER BARREL.

FROM WHAT IVE BEEN READING THE M96 6.5X55 SWEDE BARREL WILL SCREW RIGHT ON A TURK . I SEE YOU NEED TO TURN OF THE EXTENSION ON THE RECIVER OR TURN THE BARREL SPECIAL.

CAN A REMINGTON TAKE OFF BARREL HAVE THE EXISTING TREADS TURNED OFF AN BE THREADED FOR A SMALL RING??????? I THINK I SAW THAT IT CAN SOME WERE. IF SO THEN A BARREL CAN BE HAD CHEAP IF YOU GOT A LATHE OR KNOW SOME ONE.

#97 ·
I will weld anything for anyone..
Cost is determined by the amount of aggrivation..

7.62x39 owns a auto parts store..
I do the "Barter" thing with him..

He gets what he wants.. I get what I want.

It's too bad that the barter system has fallen out of favor in recent years..
All everyone is interested in now is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

...zap!

#91 ·
#92 ·
I hope the range report is a good as the build looks. Really nice work

I have this custom 6mm br based reamer here an it would be a great round for a light weight sporter on a mauser action.

I wnoder how hard a switch barrel build would be with a barrel nut on like a savage ??

I have lots of barrel blanks an take offs but few actions.

one of those 98,s that use a small ring barrel would be ideal for a build with multipul barrels. I was thinking of making my son a gun with light hunting barrl an a heavy target.varmint barrel. with my 6mmbr??????? the barrels could be the same calibur just differant weights an twists.

#93 ·
I'll get back to you guys with a range report after this weekend.

Summery of this build

Starting out with a well used 1937 Czechoslovakian VZ-24 (Large ring Mauser)

I blueprinted the bolt and receiver and mated it to a Numrich trapdoor trigger guard assembly. Then I inlet it and pillar bedded it into a Boyd's laminate stock.
I re-chambered it to .308 Win. using a 22" Shilen #5 contour barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I cut off the straight bolt handle and fabricated one of my own, which Zap welded on for Me
I drilled, tapped and installed a one piece scope rail, then assembled it using a Bold Optimal trigger, a Titanium firing pin with a speedlock spring and a sporter bolt shroud.
I finished it off by adding a grip cap, recoil pad and swivels to the stock. Topping it off is a Simmons 4-12X44 scope and a Harris bi-pod. I fully expect this rifle to shoot MOA.

Attachments

#94 ·
7.62, I edited my last post to read "the shnit" instead of "shnit". BIG difference in meaning! I like it is what I'm saying. I have seen those "tactical" bolt knobs in Brownells but didnt know if I wanted one but now I do.

#95 ·
WELL I BOUGT A VERY BUBBAFED GERMAN GEW98 SPORTER . NO PITTING MISMATCHING BENT BOLT THAT LIKELY WILL NOT WORK WITH A SCOPE. CUT DOWN 8MM BARREL . REALLY BAD SPORTERISED ORIGINAL STOCK WITH REALLY BAD HAND CHECKERING LIKELY DONE WITH A POCKET KNIFE. . NOT DRILLED FOR RINGS. IN SPITE ALL OF THAT ITS GOT A GREAT BORE A AFTER MARKET SITE ON THE BARREL AT THE SET ATR ABOUT 23 INCHES. IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT OPEN SITE DEER RIFLE. NEEDS THE HACK SAW AN BENCH GRINDER DRESSED BARREL LIKELY RECROWNED. SAFETY GOES TO FIRE ONT HE LH SIDE FOR SOME REASON ???? GOT SOME SORT OF PAINT OR EPOXY FINISH ON IT .

ITS A SPANDAU 1917 GEW98 OR SOMETHING CLOSE ON THE SIDE .
I GAVE $190 OUT THE DOOR WITH TAX. i DIDNT HAVE TO PAY FOR A TRANSFER SINCE IT WAS OFF HIS RACK.

i FIGURED IT WAS WORTH IT TO SEE UNDER THE WOOD LINE AN KNOW EXACTLY WHAT i WAS GETTING VS ORDERING ONE. AN A $150 RECIVER WOULD HAVE BEEN THE SAME MONEY WITH SHIPPING AN A FFL TRANSFER. I REALLY WANTED A GERMAN ACTION FOR SOME REASON .

TO THOSE WHO OFFERED ME STUFF FOR SALE OR TRADE IM STILL VERY INTERESTED BECASUE IF IM GOING TO GET INTO THESE ILL WANT TO DO A COUPLE. IM THINKING MY SON MIGHT DESERVE A REALLY NICE GUN INTHE FUTURE AS WELL.

ILL POST SOME PICS OF IT ON A NEW THREAD. IM GOING TO HAVE TO BEG BORROW BUY OR STEAL SOME TOOLING TO DO THIS. ONE OF OUT SPORTING CLUB MEAMBERS IS A RETIRED NOW HOME GUNSMITH AN VERY WELL RESPECTED IM GOING TO SEE WHAT HE CAN DO FOR ME. HE DOES MY EXPENSIVE SHOT GUN WORK THAT IM AFRAID ILL SCREW UP.

#96 ·
I have one of those that I got from a guy in Michigan a few years back, nice bore and cut down stock. Mine looks to have been shortened possibly by the armory. Many WWI GEW's were converted similar to the K98's and used in WWII. Mine still has the half ring hand guard retainer, but no pocket knife checkering...

#98 ·
I finally got a chance to get to the range with this thing. I didn't have a lot of time so I went to the club closest to me. Unfortunately they only have a 50 yard range there, but it was enough to leave me feeling really good. I put three rounds through it and was rewarded with 3 touching holes, using Australian milsurp no less. At least I think it was Australian, It was the stuff that came in a bandoleer of 5 round stripper clips.
I can't wait to get it to a longer range with good ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.