Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Mauser project

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Bedding came out mint. Very tight fit now.

1) Receiver side (top) before bedding. You can see how big the front lug recess was and the elongated rear hole.

2) Top after bedding. Perfect fit on front lug recess and rear pillar bedded in place.

3) TG side (bottom) before.

4) Rear pillar bedded in place

5) Front TG hole. You can see how much larger the original hole was and how bedded hole is not even concentric to original.

This sucker is rock solid now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    ... All three of my sons and my brother hunt with a "mtdew" built mauser....
    Funny you should mention that. The very first one I built was done using the same exact stock as this one except it was brown (Boyd calls it nutmeg IIRC)

I took it, along with my Remington 742, to my buddy's place in Maine for deer season. The Mauser had only a handful of rounds through it for testing and dialing in the scope.
    My buddy really liked it right off the bat and wanted to take it out opening day.
    Son of a bitch, if he doesn't drop a fine 8 pointer about a half hour into deer season, with the first round that ever went though it in the woods.

He didn't want to give it back and drove me crazy for 3 days until I sold it to him. I never even got a chance to shoot it other than the test rounds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

GREAT CAMERA WORK . WISH I COULD GET MINE TO FOCUSE DOWN LIKE THAT.

SO THEN A STEEL TUBE GOES IN THE STOCK AN A SCREW GOES THROUGHT THE TUBE???? DO i HAVE IT RIGHT ???

AGAIN HOW COME THEY DONT ADDA A RECOIL LIG LIKE A REMINGTON OR SAVAGE OR OTHER ?????? SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE EASY TO DO AON A CUSTOM BUILD.

I ORDERED A 6MM BRX REAMER TODAY AN I MIGHT HAVE TO BUILD A MAUSER SPORTER WITH A LIGHT BARREL ALSO. I THINK i CAN CUT OFF A REMINGTON 243 BARREL AN RETHREAD AN RE CHAMBER IT. MAKES A CHEAP BUILD ( WELL SORT OF ) .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post

SO THEN A STEEL TUBE GOES IN THE STOCK AN A SCREW GOES THROUGHT THE TUBE???? DO i HAVE IT RIGHT ???

AGAIN HOW COME THEY DONT ADDA A RECOIL LIG LIKE A REMINGTON OR SAVAGE OR OTHER ?????? SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE EASY TO DO AON A CUSTOM BUILD.
    Yes, If you look at post #9 in this thread, you can see where I cut the pillar (tube) to the correct length. The proper length is critical to doing it right.
    You want it to tighten up like a spacer, but if it's too long or too short it will not keep the receiver and TG perfectly parallel to one another.
    The pillar then gets bedded in the stock.

The Mauser does have a recoil lug in the front, that's where the front bedding takes place.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    Funny you should mention that. The very first one I built was done using the same exact stock as this one except it was brown (Boyd calls it nutmeg IIRC)

I took it, along with my Remington 742, to my buddy's place in Maine for deer season. The Mauser had only a handful of rounds through it for testing and dialing in the scope.
    My buddy really liked it right off the bat and wanted to take it out opening day.
    Son of a bitch, if he doesn't drop a fine 8 pointer about a half hour into deer season, with the first round that ever went though it in the woods.

He didn't want to give it back and drove me crazy for 3 days until I sold it to him. I never even got a chance to shoot it other than the test rounds.
    I know what u mean! The first mauser I ever re-stocked and put a scope on was a 96 swede 6.5x55. I let my buddy shoot it, he aimed at a soda bottle cap about 50-60 yds away and hit it first try, offhand. He wanted to buy it real bad, so I quoted him what I thought was a stupid high price, $350. I only had about $150 in it,scope and all, this was when u could buy a nice one for about $60. I thought he would decline but 30 min later he returned with cash in hand. A deals a deal.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Meant to ask u what bbl u gonna use?
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I agree the 98 is a great platform, I kept mine in 8mm, they are great deer and hog rifles. I always wanted one in 308 some day

again great thread
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    Meant to ask u what bbl u gonna use?
    Shilen in .308
    FITTED BARRELS FOR LARGE RING MAUSER 98 - Brownells

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nice! U get the discount?
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the recoil lug is on the reciver then???/ i was thinking a lug like is sandwiched between the barrel an the recvier on a remington or savage. I have always wondered why guys didnt add them .

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.