Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Ring Mauser Bolt Face Mod for .223

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I HAVEA 7.62X39 REAMER IF YOU NEED TO EVER HAVE A BARREL CHAMBERED.

IM GOING TO BE DOING MORE BARREL WORK IN THE NEAR FUTURE. ID LIKE A
    7.62X25 BOLT ACTION. IT WOULD BE COOL IF A GUY COULD SHORTNE THE HELL OUT OF A SMALL RING AN MAKE IT FEED FROM A MAG. EVEN A TOKAREV MAG WOULD BE OK.

WISH A 22MAG RIFLE WAS STRONG ENOUGH FOR A X25.

IM NOT A FAN OF WELDING ON BOLTS OR EVEN SILVER SOLDERING. IMO A BETTER BET IS THE CHEAPEST MARLIN OR SAVAGE 223 YOU CAN FIND FOR AROUND $300.

LIGHTLY LOADED 22-250 IS ANOTHER EASIER OPTION IN .22 CAL. BRASS IS NOIT AS CHEAP BUT IN A BOLT ACTION LOADED LIGHT IT WOULD LAST FOREVER.

IM CONSIDERING A 6MM BR LOADED LIGHT ON A SMALL RING ACTION MAYBE ON A M6.5X55 M96 SWEDE ACTION .

I SEE ALL KINDS OF RECIVERS FOR SMALL RING ON GUN BROKER DIRT CHEAP BUT VERY FEW BOLTS.. IS THERE A SOURCE FOR SMALL RING BOLTS ANY WERE ??
    the usual suspects Numrich, sarco and try Springfield sporters in Pa they carry along of that so american mauser parts

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I HAVEA 7.62X39 REAMER IF YOU NEED TO EVER HAVE A BARREL CHAMBERED.

IM GOING TO BE DOING MORE BARREL WORK IN THE NEAR FUTURE. ID LIKE A
    7.62X25 BOLT ACTION. IT WOULD BE COOL IF A GUY COULD SHORTNE THE HELL OUT OF A SMALL RING AN MAKE IT FEED FROM A MAG. EVEN A TOKAREV MAG WOULD BE OK.

WISH A 22MAG RIFLE WAS STRONG ENOUGH FOR A X25.

IM NOT A FAN OF WELDING ON BOLTS OR EVEN SILVER SOLDERING. IMO A BETTER BET IS THE CHEAPEST MARLIN OR SAVAGE 223 YOU CAN FIND FOR AROUND $300.

LIGHTLY LOADED 22-250 IS ANOTHER EASIER OPTION IN .22 CAL. BRASS IS NOIT AS CHEAP BUT IN A BOLT ACTION LOADED LIGHT IT WOULD LAST FOREVER.

IM CONSIDERING A 6MM BR LOADED LIGHT ON A SMALL RING ACTION MAYBE ON A M6.5X55 M96 SWEDE ACTION .

I SEE ALL KINDS OF RECIVERS FOR SMALL RING ON GUN BROKER DIRT CHEAP BUT VERY FEW BOLTS.. IS THERE A SOURCE FOR SMALL RING BOLTS ANY WERE ??
    As for a source on small ring bolts, it is slim pickings. Springfield Sporters has all the parts except the extractor and firing pin spring, and they only have the 1893 bolt (flat surface on bottom front). You can pick up a nearly complete 1893 bolt for about $34 in parts, pretty reasonable. For the 1895, you would be short the extractor, firing pin spring, and bolt body. You should be able get a spring that would work for the firing pin from one of the aftermarket companies, maybe Wolf.

Then there are a few old hoarders like me who can generally shake one from the tree for a good cause.

There have been several guys that converted Mausers and Enfields to .45ACP, as it is friendly to the extractor. They fit a pistol mag in the front and put a block to keep it forward. No reason it couldn't be made to work for 7.62x25.

I saw somewhere that some Aussies had used a No4 Enfield for a .223 in which they removed the bolt head completely and fabricated an extractor and plunger ejector to fit on the shortened bolt. I believe all the had to do with the bolt after that was to shorten the firing pin. Then they threaded the barrel to screw in past the normal spot and mating it up with the shorter bolt. The then had an AR orMini-14 mag fitted in the new shorter chamber.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I saw somewhere that some Aussies had used a No4 Enfield for a .223 in which they removed the bolt head completely and fabricated an extractor and plunger ejector to fit on the shortened bolt. I believe all the had to do with the bolt after that was to shorten the firing pin. Then they threaded the barrel to screw in past the normal spot and mating it up with the shorter bolt. The then had an AR orMini-14 mag fitted in the new shorter chamber.
    INTERESTING.
    I SHOULD JUST BUY A COMPLETE RIFLE THAT GOES ABNG AN GO FROM THERE. YOU SEE THME PRETTY CHEAP FROM TIME TO TIME.

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A PISTOL CALIBUR RIFLE I COULD SHOOT CAST LEAD IN. SOME THING THAT COULD BE LOADED DIRT CHEAP AN SHOT FOR FUN .

THAT BOLT FACE IS A ISSUE. ILL HAVE A LOT OF 308 BRASS SOON ONCE MY 6MM WILD CAT GETS UP AN RUNNING MAYBE A SHORTNED CASE OPENED UP TO 35 CAL WOULD BE DOABLE. THE 444?????? IDEA OR A 444 RIMLESS MARLIN WOULD BE A EASY CONVERSION ON ONE OF THESE JUST LOAD IT AT SPEEDS TO BE CAST LEAD FRIENDLY. HMMMMMMM EVEN A STRAIGHT 444 MARLIN WITH THE RIM MIGHT WORK OK JUST OPEN THE BOLT.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ONE OF THOSE SPANISH MAUSERS WOULD MAKE A GOOD PISTOL ROUND BUILD OR EVEN A 223 IF THE BOLT COULD BE DEALT WITH. SAMCO SHOWS THEM FOR ABOUT $165.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-1916.html

Feedback Score

Mauser bolts all measure .700 inch diameter shank. Lengths do vary. That also includes the Com 88 manlicher style bolt. Bunches of those single-stack-feed actions floating around for cheap... less bolts or bolt heads and no FFL. Perhaps a serious gunsmith guy might consider a radical mod of say a '91 Argentine or '89 Turk/Belgium bolt body for their pistol caliber Com '88 rifle conversion(s). Or carve a special Com 88 bolt head for their rare caliber project.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Mauser bolts all measure .700 inch diameter shank. Lengths do vary. That also includes the Com 88 manlicher style bolt. Bunches of those single-stack-feed actions floating around for cheap... less bolts or bolt heads and no FFL. Perhaps a serious gunsmith guy might consider a radical mod of say a '91 Argentine or '89 Turk/Belgium bolt body for their pistol caliber Com '88 rifle conversion(s). Or carve a special Com 88 bolt head for their rare caliber project.

VD in AZ
    there was a guy over at gunboards that was making bolt heads for the 88 commission rifles, as lots of cheap non-ffl rifles were missing them
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Thanks Sprat,
    I have the drawings for that bolt head saved. I think that they are also posted here on gunco. My thoughts are that a simplified version for a smaller case head diameter can be machined. That "bolt head is actually an insert plug for the bolt face. It uses a pistol-like extractor.

Speaking of Mannlicher type rifles... The Italian Mannlicher-Carcano rifles have a bolt face recess the same size as the 7.62x39mm AK case head. The AK ammo fits the Italian clip nicely too.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IM DAMM TEMPTED TO TRY A MEXICAN MAUSER IN 444 RIMLESS MARLIN.

I HEAR ALL THE STORIES ABOUT THE OLDER PRE 98 MAUSERS NOT BEING SAFE WITH 308 WIN AN OTHER HIGH PRESSURE ROUNDS BUT i CAN FOND VERY LITTEL ON ANY THAT HAVE ACTUALY FAILED?????????

IS THERE A SAFE PRESSURE LIMIT TO BE FOLLOWED WITH THE EARLY MAUSERS????

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

IM DAMM TEMPTED TO TRY A MEXICAN MAUSER IN 444 RIMLESS MARLIN.

I HEAR ALL THE STORIES ABOUT THE OLDER PRE 98 MAUSERS NOT BEING SAFE WITH 308 WIN AN OTHER HIGH PRESSURE ROUNDS BUT i CAN FOND VERY LITTEL ON ANY THAT HAVE ACTUALY FAILED?????????

IS THERE A SAFE PRESSURE LIMIT TO BE FOLLOWED WITH THE EARLY MAUSERS????
    First of all, if you have a Mexican Mauser, don't do anything to it. It has some unique parts are really rare, the bolt in particular.

The pre-98 mausers are a mixed bag as far as safety goes. Some of the early ones' heat treating was suspect. Swedish Mausers are the best, as the Swedes insisted that their superior steel be used. The model 1893 Turkish Mausers were nearly all re-arsenaled and converted to 8x57 Mauser, a high pressure cartridge for sure. The were re-heat treated as part of the process, and a notch was taken out of the receiver to allow for loading the longer cartridge. Also, there were many small ring Mausers manufactured post-1898 to mor stringent specs, such as the 1916 Spanish Mauser, an 1893 based rifle.

Assuming heat treat is not an issue, the biggest issues comparing the small ring Mausers is that (1) they have only two locking lugs vs. three in the 1898, and (2) the bolt desaign in the small ring lacks the bolt shroud in the 1898 protecting better from gasses in a failure.

I have a Spanish 1916 in 7.62x51, and feel comfortable shooting NATO spec ammo in it.

Feedback Score

Years ago I bought a 45-70 British Enfield remade by Golden State Armory in Calif, as I remember the only thing they did was put on peep sights & change the bolt head. It was a very nice bear brush gun and I wish I never traded it off. I'm sorry I got off topic.
    Last edited by Frogman; 09-30-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: I'm sorry I got off topic.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.