Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Small Ring Mauser Bolt Face Mod for .223

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    IM DAMM TEMPTED TO TRY A MEXICAN MAUSER IN 444 RIMLESS MARLIN.

I HEAR ALL THE STORIES ABOUT THE OLDER PRE 98 MAUSERS NOT BEING SAFE WITH 308 WIN AN OTHER HIGH PRESSURE ROUNDS BUT i CAN FOND VERY LITTEL ON ANY THAT HAVE ACTUALY FAILED?????????

IS THERE A SAFE PRESSURE LIMIT TO BE FOLLOWED WITH THE EARLY MAUSERS????

The large bore straight walled cartridges drop their pressure much faster than bottleneck rounds do, and IMO are less stressful on gun shooting bottleneck cartridges of the same case head size. Of course I could be way off base too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    IM DAMM TEMPTED TO TRY A MEXICAN MAUSER IN 444 RIMLESS MARLIN.

I HEAR ALL THE STORIES ABOUT THE OLDER PRE 98 MAUSERS NOT BEING SAFE WITH 308 WIN AN OTHER HIGH PRESSURE ROUNDS BUT i CAN FOND VERY LITTEL ON ANY THAT HAVE ACTUALY FAILED?????????

IS THERE A SAFE PRESSURE LIMIT TO BE FOLLOWED WITH THE EARLY MAUSERS????
    There are several threads on surplusrifleforum.com on the subject, particularly regarding the 1916 Mauser in .308/7.62x51.

Surplusrifle Forum • View topic - Mauser in 308 Winchester?

The general consensus is that the original small ring Mausers produced prior to 1898 should be kept around 45,000 cup to be very safe. Consensus on the later produced Spanish 1916's seems to be that ~50-52,000 cup NATO spec 7.62x51 is safe but that it is prudent to avoid commercial spec .308 with max of ~62,000 cup. Lots of gunshop commandos have lots of opinions and many are sure they heard somebody say they heard from another source that a guy got his face blown off...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

here is another article along the same lines , I was going to buy one of these rifles till i saw this web page

1895 Chilean Mauser, Modelo Mauser Chileno 1895, 7.62 Nato conversion
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat1 View Post
    here is another article along the same lines , I was going to buy one of these rifles till i saw this web page

1895 Chilean Mauser, Modelo Mauser Chileno 1895, 7.62 Nato conversion
    I was aware of this regarding the Chileans, but I think this was only done on some early conversions, not certain. I know the Spanish 1916 conversions were not done this way, as they were shortened, re-bored to .308. and re-chambered. My 1916 came with a pristine bore, very tight headspace.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hello All,

Way back in the mid to late 1990's, I purchased a shitload of 1895 Mauser actions (barreled, complete) from an importer. All of these were Ludwig Lowe manufactured, so no FFL required. They were literally shipped to me, wrapped in brown oil paper.

Some were heavily used. Most were damn near new. All were converted to 7.62x51 NATO.

I have a lot of experience with these, including taking two to the range for a shootout. One was pristine, and the other was beat to shit. We put 2,000 rounds down range that day from each one. In those days, 1200 rounds of Portuguese NATO ammo cost about $85.00.
    Both rifles were then sectioned and destroyed to evaluate whether or not there were any significant issues. None were detected, and all of the parts were magnafluxed as well to detect any microfractures. Again, none detected.

Most of these rifles were then sporterized, blueprinted, and re-sold as common sporting arms. Even though they did not require FFL transfer, I did it anyway. Oops, my bad. Sorry.

My cost for the entire process was $92 per rifle, and that included the scope mounts. You can guess what I paid per rifle, and it was not much.

Bottom line. Most of the 1895 Chilean Mausers were converted by Styer, and those rifles did have that forward gap you see in the website listed above. There were a number of rifles done in Chile, and those were less professionally completed. There were markings on the barrel that you could use to determine if the conversion was done at Styer, but I can not find that info anymore... I had 9 of the ones that were NOT Styer converted, and those were rebarreled in 6.5 Swede. It should be noted that not all of the conversions to 7.62 NATO were done with existing barrels. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 22% were just rebarreled. Again, these were marked with very clean, very new markings and had no old proofs on the barrels.

This is now almost 18 years ago, so my memory is not terribly reliable. I decided to post this because there is a lot more to the story than what that website would have you believe.

The last of these that I owned was sold to Mr. Posthumus. He seems very satisfied with that rifles' performance. That rifle was one of the Styer converted barrels, and was a bit more "handled", displaying some pitting on the receiver below the wood line, and pitting on the outside of the barrel as well. The bore was nearly pristine, and that rifle would print 5 shots in a 6 inch circle at 600 yards (which is why I kept it for so long).

The 1895 Chilean Mausers were truly a work of art. If you find one marked as being made in Berlin, and made by Ludwig Lowe, BUT IT. It is a true 1895 manufactured rifle and worth it's weight in something.

Just passing on what I know. Comments welcome.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I bought a pristine, all matching Chilean barreled action from Samco when they had them, cost $80 about 2003 or so. It had loose head space, although I had shot it with no issues prior to getting gauges and testing. I wound up trading it along with a spare bolt body that corrected the head space. I figured, why not order another? So I get the box and it is not a barreled receiver, gut a complete stocked rifle, all matching, excellent shape! Apparently, someone had squirreled it away and it accidentally got sent to me. I also bought a 1916 .308 Spanish Mauser and three Swedes from them. I understand what they have left in small ring Mausers is below the quality of what I got back then, so I would check before buying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.