Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Ring Mauser Bolt Face Mod for .223

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Small Ring Mauser Bolt Face Mod for .223

Has anyone here modified a small ring Mauser bolt to cycle and extract .223? I have a couple of small ring actions, one will be used for a 7.62x39 project and the other I would like to build a .223 backup bolt gun.

I saw a guy on another forum silver soldered a piece of steel to the bolt face, but would prefer something a little sturdier.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

a old gunsmith buddy always told me to use a carcano action for 223,

but sure I guess if you silver soldered a ring inside the bolt face it should in theory work

hopefully others will chime in
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat1 View Post
    a old gunsmith buddy always told me to use a carcano action for 223,

but sure I guess if you silver soldered a ring inside the bolt face it should in theory work

hopefully others will chime in
    As fate would have it, I do happen to have a bubba'd 7.35 Carcano that is in decent shape with no collector value. I will have to get it out of storage and take a look at the bolt face...

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Biggest issue is the extractor. You are going to have to do some real work there. Ask me how I know...
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Biggest issue is the extractor. You are going to have to do some real work there. Ask me how I know...
    OK, I'm askin'...

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I used an 1895 Chilean Mauser as the donor rifle. They had extractors that turned absolutely brittle after welding an extension on the extractor tip. I went through three of them before I gave up and took #4 to a knife maker for a proper heat-treat and temper job. That one held just fine. Also had to fabricate an ejector, and modify the bolt a bit to get everything to work correctly.

Just sayin. It was a pain in the ass. I also converted it to cock on open....That was a pain as well. But, when I was done it was a great rifle and shot very well out to 600 Meters. I went with a 1 in 8 twist on mine, 22 Inch barrel.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a similar issue with a mauser I own as well too. It is an 1891 mauser that some did a sporter job on long ago. They screwed up several key areas on this build. The 1891 has a longer threaded barrel shank than other small ring mausers and this idiot just screwed in a standard length 6.5 blank and chambered it in 6.5 carcano. Initially I thought it would be neat to get a deer with a 100+ year old rifle, but after firing it I found it was really unsafe to do so unless I remove the barrel and set it back to where it should be. I'm not real fond of the 6.5 carcano anyways and figured it would be a good canidate for a 7.62x39 barrel. The only problem is the action just barely will keep a 6.5 (which has a slightly larger case head) on the bolt long enough to eject it 90% of the time. The extractor is set up similar to a KP31 suomi and not like a standard mauser. I am also interested in having a thin ring welded in the bolt face to support the casehead and let the extractor keep a grip on the smaller case to eject it well. The other cool Idea I had was to put one of Green mountain octagon 257 blanks on it and chamber it in 250 savage or 257 roberts and keep and eye on chamber pressure. I know a few tricks to help with cases falling off of the extractor on a KP31 build, but the didtances here are much greater.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    I have a similar issue with a mauser I own as well too. It is an 1891 mauser that some did a sporter job on long ago. They screwed up several key areas on this build. The 1891 has a longer threaded barrel shank than other small ring mausers and this idiot just screwed in a standard length 6.5 blank and chambered it in 6.5 carcano. Initially I thought it would be neat to get a deer with a 100+ year old rifle, but after firing it I found it was really unsafe to do so unless I remove the barrel and set it back to where it should be. I'm not real fond of the 6.5 carcano anyways and figured it would be a good canidate for a 7.62x39 barrel. The only problem is the action just barely will keep a 6.5 (which has a slightly larger case head) on the bolt long enough to eject it 90% of the time. The extractor is set up similar to a KP31 suomi and not like a standard mauser. I am also interested in having a thin ring welded in the bolt face to support the casehead and let the extractor keep a grip on the smaller case to eject it well. The other cool Idea I had was to put one of Green mountain octagon 257 blanks on it and chamber it in 250 savage or 257 roberts and keep and eye on chamber pressure. I know a few tricks to help with cases falling off of the extractor on a KP31 build, but the didtances here are much greater.
    I checked the 7.62x39 round in my 1891 Argie and it fits pretty well, feeds well. Can't check extraction completely, but extractor locks on the rim tight. I ordered a 7.62x39 chamber insert that I will be installing. It is kept in place with loctite and can be removed with a broken shell extractor. It controls and cycles well, just need to solve the overly long magwell issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have another option to consider as well. I have one of those Golden State Armory modified Enfield No4's that has been permanently altered, and the thing keyholes, so it is a candidate for transformation. I understand there is someone who makes a replacement bolt head for the .223 round, complete with plunger extractor, have seen a pic and read a little. Don't know where to get one. The Aussies have done this fairly frequently, as I understand it, and it supposedly works well. OPf course, silver solder mods on the bolt head are a possibility as well. Anybody got info on this option?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I HAVEA 7.62X39 REAMER IF YOU NEED TO EVER HAVE A BARREL CHAMBERED.

IM GOING TO BE DOING MORE BARREL WORK IN THE NEAR FUTURE. ID LIKE A
    7.62X25 BOLT ACTION. IT WOULD BE COOL IF A GUY COULD SHORTNE THE HELL OUT OF A SMALL RING AN MAKE IT FEED FROM A MAG. EVEN A TOKAREV MAG WOULD BE OK.

WISH A 22MAG RIFLE WAS STRONG ENOUGH FOR A X25.

IM NOT A FAN OF WELDING ON BOLTS OR EVEN SILVER SOLDERING. IMO A BETTER BET IS THE CHEAPEST MARLIN OR SAVAGE 223 YOU CAN FIND FOR AROUND $300.

LIGHTLY LOADED 22-250 IS ANOTHER EASIER OPTION IN .22 CAL. BRASS IS NOIT AS CHEAP BUT IN A BOLT ACTION LOADED LIGHT IT WOULD LAST FOREVER.

IM CONSIDERING A 6MM BR LOADED LIGHT ON A SMALL RING ACTION MAYBE ON A M6.5X55 M96 SWEDE ACTION .

I SEE ALL KINDS OF RECIVERS FOR SMALL RING ON GUN BROKER DIRT CHEAP BUT VERY FEW BOLTS.. IS THERE A SOURCE FOR SMALL RING BOLTS ANY WERE ??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.