Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ishapore 303

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Mine is .303.

The INDIANS copied everything then took credit for it like they do today at work.
    M U S I B I K E

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ishapore Arsenal was a British arsenal, just like the ones all over the world. When India became independent, the arsenal kept on making rifles, just like Australia and Canada. No "copying" was involved; they're real Enfields, off the real Enfield production lines.

The British Army used Ishapore-made .308 SMLEs well into the 1970s, alongside the FAL. Snipers felt the SMLE was more accurate than the FAL.

I *think* all the SMLEs have been phased out, but you can never be sure with the British Army. I expect some quartermaster probably has a stash of 1853 muskets and service parts in a cobwebbed closet somewhere, just in case someone puts in a requisition for one...

Feedback Score

I also lucked out and saved one from a co-worker who is a star wars junky. He was going to cut it down into a jawa blaster. I bought it sight unseen for 50 bucks. Turned out to be a 1948 ishipore numbers matching with a grenade launcher cup and copper wire wrap on the stock. I am hesitant to unwrap it and recon the rifle and ruin the originality.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I have 5 boxes of .303 on the way here for mine.
    M U S I B I K E

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I just pulled two out of my safe for trade bait. I had not looked at them for so long I forgot what they were.
    One is a 1931 & the other 1944. Just a quick once over shows several differances between the two even thru the cosmolene . I think I'll keep them now.
    The bayonet lugs are differant & one has brass barrel bands.
    Both have brass buttplates.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

I have a 1943 Lithgow SMLE. It was dad's deer-getter for many years. He bought it himself when he was about 14 from a barrel at the KMart. He had it sportered by an old gunsmith, but it is reversible (barrel still full length).

The Aussies knew how to make 'em right, too.

Feedback Score

I just traded for an Ishapore in .308. It was manufactured in 1965. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I din't have much in it, but, I still hope it will work. The main thing I notcie handling here in the house is the weight! I might have to hire someone to carry it for me! Ha, Ha! Just a joke, son!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.