Gunco Forums banner

Ishapore 303

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  dario541 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1950 Ishapore no 1 mk 303 fo $125. It is in pretty good original condition. The magazine that came with it says made in England and is 5 rd pos. I ordered an original no 1 mk 3 mag before I realized it was Indian made. Will the mag fit?

#4 ·
no they did make 303 rifles at that arsenal, and if its dated 1950 that was before they made the 308s they also made 410 shotguns out of those early 303, I would go through that rifle real good before I shot it, in fact when in doubt take it to a smith
I would also ask this question on this forum these a guys are good real good with enfield
The Lee-Enfield Forum
and for gods sake don't buy any POF 303 paki ammo its all junk

sprat

#5 ·
no they did make 303 rifles at that arsenal, and if its dated 1950 that was before they made the 308s they also made 410 shotguns out of those early 303, I would go through that rifle real good before I shot it, in fact when in doubt take it to a smith
I would also ask this question on this forum these a guys are good real good with enfield
The Lee-Enfield Forum
and for gods sake don't buy any POF 303 paki ammo its all junk

sprat
Thanks for your replies. I have looked pretty closely at it,its has cosmoline like it was not cleaned after import and the bore and rifling is good. Stamped CAI NO 1 MK 3 303 INDIA ,1950.

#6 ·
Some thoughts:

The Indians made some very good SMLE Rifles, and a 1950's vintage should be among the best in terms of steel, etc.

Take it all the way down, and detail clean every bit that you can reach with a toothpick or bamboo skewer. Let the stock sit out in the hot sun, and continue to wipe away the cosmoline as it sweats out. This might take several days. There are still NOS Stock sets available from Sarco and Numrich if yours is too far gone.

The Magazine you bought will fit, but may need some tweaking. Take your time.

I would hesitate to refinish the metal itself, if you decide that you want to do that then have it done professionally.

If accuracy is an issue, take to to a smith and have it blueprinted. This process includes removing the barrel, squaring everything up, reassembling, and finishing the chamber. Check for muzzle erosion, if that is an issue, counter-bore.

With good .303 and modern projectiles, a rifle that has been worked correctly will give you 10 good shots at 250 yards into a small pie plate with iron sights. I watch guys that can't do that with a new Remington 700 and a scope.

Nice find, Great Price! Find a bayonet for it. Once of the 16" ones from WWI. There are also sources of web gear to match.

Also, find some of the 5 round stripper clips. They are about $1.50 each, but they never wear out. Buy 20-40 and you are good to go.

Regards,

#8 ·
I have British, Aussie, and Indian SMLE's and the Indian's are very well made, In fact, they are often in much better condition than the others. I also have some Indian 2a Ishapores in 7.62x51 / .308 , one of them in scout rifle configuration in the pics thread.

Nice, quality rifles. Mine shoot very well.

#10 ·
I also have an Indian Enfield in .303; and have swapped magazines with a friend's British Enfield, so it should work. Does anyone else have a yellow stripe painted on their stock just above the magazine? Mine has one and I've been wondering what it's for.

#12 ·
Ishapore Arsenal was a British arsenal, just like the ones all over the world. When India became independent, the arsenal kept on making rifles, just like Australia and Canada. No "copying" was involved; they're real Enfields, off the real Enfield production lines.

The British Army used Ishapore-made .308 SMLEs well into the 1970s, alongside the FAL. Snipers felt the SMLE was more accurate than the FAL.

I *think* all the SMLEs have been phased out, but you can never be sure with the British Army. I expect some quartermaster probably has a stash of 1853 muskets and service parts in a cobwebbed closet somewhere, just in case someone puts in a requisition for one...

#13 ·
I also lucked out and saved one from a co-worker who is a star wars junky. He was going to cut it down into a jawa blaster. I bought it sight unseen for 50 bucks. Turned out to be a 1948 ishipore numbers matching with a grenade launcher cup and copper wire wrap on the stock. I am hesitant to unwrap it and recon the rifle and ruin the originality.

#15 ·
I just pulled two out of my safe for trade bait. I had not looked at them for so long I forgot what they were.
One is a 1931 & the other 1944. Just a quick once over shows several differances between the two even thru the cosmolene . I think I'll keep them now.
The bayonet lugs are differant & one has brass barrel bands.
Both have brass buttplates.

#17 ·
I just traded for an Ishapore in .308. It was manufactured in 1965. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I din't have much in it, but, I still hope it will work. The main thing I notcie handling here in the house is the weight! I might have to hire someone to carry it for me! Ha, Ha! Just a joke, son!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.