Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ishapore 303

Feedback Score

Default Ishapore 303

I just bought a 1950 Ishapore no 1 mk 303 fo $125. It is in pretty good original condition. The magazine that came with it says made in England and is 5 rd pos. I ordered an original no 1 mk 3 mag before I realized it was Indian made. Will the mag fit?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Not sure about the mag, but I thought those were .308 not .303

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

yep it sounds like u have a 308, this is mine

a pic of the mag

buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

no they did make 303 rifles at that arsenal, and if its dated 1950 that was before they made the 308s they also made 410 shotguns out of those early 303, I would go through that rifle real good before I shot it, in fact when in doubt take it to a smith
    I would also ask this question on this forum these a guys are good real good with enfield
    The Lee-Enfield Forum
    and for gods sake don't buy any POF 303 paki ammo its all junk

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    no they did make 303 rifles at that arsenal, and if its dated 1950 that was before they made the 308s they also made 410 shotguns out of those early 303, I would go through that rifle real good before I shot it, in fact when in doubt take it to a smith
    I would also ask this question on this forum these a guys are good real good with enfield
    The Lee-Enfield Forum
    and for gods sake don't buy any POF 303 paki ammo its all junk

sprat
    Thanks for your replies. I have looked pretty closely at it,its has cosmoline like it was not cleaned after import and the bore and rifling is good. Stamped CAI NO 1 MK 3 303 INDIA ,1950.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Some thoughts:

The Indians made some very good SMLE Rifles, and a 1950's vintage should be among the best in terms of steel, etc.

Take it all the way down, and detail clean every bit that you can reach with a toothpick or bamboo skewer. Let the stock sit out in the hot sun, and continue to wipe away the cosmoline as it sweats out. This might take several days. There are still NOS Stock sets available from Sarco and Numrich if yours is too far gone.

The Magazine you bought will fit, but may need some tweaking. Take your time.

I would hesitate to refinish the metal itself, if you decide that you want to do that then have it done professionally.

If accuracy is an issue, take to to a smith and have it blueprinted. This process includes removing the barrel, squaring everything up, reassembling, and finishing the chamber. Check for muzzle erosion, if that is an issue, counter-bore.

With good .303 and modern projectiles, a rifle that has been worked correctly will give you 10 good shots at 250 yards into a small pie plate with iron sights. I watch guys that can't do that with a new Remington 700 and a scope.

Nice find, Great Price! Find a bayonet for it. Once of the 16" ones from WWI. There are also sources of web gear to match.

Also, find some of the 5 round stripper clips. They are about $1.50 each, but they never wear out. Buy 20-40 and you are good to go.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I passed up 1 of those the other day for 250 bucks and 308.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have British, Aussie, and Indian SMLE's and the Indian's are very well made, In fact, they are often in much better condition than the others. I also have some Indian 2a Ishapores in 7.62x51 / .308 , one of them in scout rifle configuration in the pics thread.

Nice, quality rifles. Mine shoot very well.

Feedback Score

I have an Ishapore SMLE rifle and love it. Very nice shooting rifle.
    Chris Stoesen
    Perpetual Rookie

pcl
    Feedback Score

I also have an Indian Enfield in .303; and have swapped magazines with a friend's British Enfield, so it should work. Does anyone else have a yellow stripe painted on their stock just above the magazine? Mine has one and I've been wondering what it's for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.