Gunco Forums banner

US MODEL 1917 ENFILED

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Don 
#1 ·
HAD A US MODEL 1917 ENFIELD CRASS MY PATH YESTERDAY. IT WAS IN A VERY FANCY SPORTING STOCK . NICE BORE NO RUST. GUYS NOIT SURE WHAT HES GOING TO DO WITH IT YET. NO DRILLED FOR A SCOPE OR MOLESTED OTHJER THAN THE STOCK FROM THE LOOKS OF IT NOT SURE.

I LOOKED ON THE NET THERE A INTERESTING GUN.

ANY ONE EVERY HAVE ANY DEALINGS WITH THEM.

IF I CAN GET MY HANDS ON IT iM NOT SURE IF TO SCOPE IT OR JUST LEAVE IT OR RESTORE IT TO STOCK IF POSSABLE. ITS GOT REALY NICE SPORTING WOOD ON IT.

#2 ·
Get it & trade it to me for parts kits of your choice. I need one of those & a Krag also !

I should have got them from CMP a few years ago.
Or Sears Roebucks a bunch of years ago!!! Heh...Heh..

I don't mind at all if you come out ahead , as you should! Buy it cheap & think about it....please...

good luck in any case!!! Numrich had some new made Military stocks not too long ago . But I try to find nice originals because I swear I can feel the history in the wood.

#3 ·
Get it & trade it to me for parts kits of your choice. I need one of those & a Krag also !

I don't mind at all if you come out ahead , as you should! Buy it cheap & think about it....please...

good luck in any case!!! Numrich had some new made Military stocks not too long ago . But I try to find nice originals because I swear I can feel the history in the wood.

#4 ·

#8 ·
there are stocks around for that rifle a original P-17 can go for a good buck, this is the rifle sgt york used '(not the springfield) also the model for the remington 70. I own a P-14 in 303 its a real rifle and these are well made if its a winchester (W) or remmington (RE) they are collector pieces

sprat

#10 · (Edited)
They are great rifles.. I got's 3 all Eddy-stones (one from the CMP and two followed me home.. from my FFL after I heard the price was under $200, one was missing the mag follower. not a prob..($6) from GPC.. one had a cut down Sporter stock on it, I'll replace someday....if I find an original one Cheap.. but just make sure your rifles metal is all original and get the original wood put back on it if poss.. a lot of them have been butchered over the years.. rear sight ears ground off..etc.. B2B

#11 ·
Get it cheap and restore. These things go up in price everyday. I had an opportuity to get as many as I wanted for $89.99 in early '90s. Should have sprung. Didnt. Kicking myself. They are very expensive now.

#18 ·
hay willie

you got a problem, using a old quote of mine, be a man if you got problem with whatsay, say to me don't slide into one of your post to prop you up
better yet pm me
Went above and beyond and measured everything possible about 5.45x39 blank cases. I did the walk.

You retorted about hay and ass. No facts just whiner comments. Did a Google search and couldn't find any references to Rockwell testing being destructive to firearms. You did the talk and your still cryin.

You could have PM me but you chose to do this in open forum. Man up, admit you were wrong and tagline will disappear.

#15 ·
I have one. It's basically an improved Mauser design, stronger, that will take longer cartridges. Plenty of aftermarket support still. And it was produced as the Remington Model 30 for decades.

The rear sight and the bolt handle may not be pretty, but they work quite well. Like many people I planned to modify mine, but I'm leaving them the way they are now.

#16 ·
WITH THE WOOD SPORTING STOCK AS NICE AS IT IS I HONESLY WISH IT HAD SHAVED EARS AN WAS SCOPED THEN HTHERE WOULD BE NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT BEING COLLECTABLE.

I SAW THE STOCK LINK IM NOT SURE SPENDING $200 TO MAKE THIS ORIGINAL PLUS ALL THE OHTER NEEDED PARTS THAT ARE MISSSING IS REALLY A GOOD IDEA. IM SURE IF ITS FOR SALE HES GOING TO WANT OVER $200 AN THEN ANOITHER $250 TO MAKE IT STOCK AGAIN . IS IT WORTH $450 WITH A NON ORIGINAL BUT CORRECT STOCK???? IM NOT SURE ID BE UP TO THAT ESPECAILY WHEN I DONT HAVE A USE FOR IT IN STOCK TRIM.

HES ALSO GOT A 1931 SPANISH MAUSER THTS GOT SOME RUST UNDER THE WOOD LINE. I THINK ITS A 7MM MAUSER . HE GOT THEM FROM A FAIMLY MEAMBER.

#17 ·
If the barrel is good, .300 H&H was a popular conversion back in the day. That was my original plan, before deciding to make a D-reamer to open the .30-06 chamber up to .30 Gibbs.

On the other hand, there ain't nuthin' wrong with the .30-06. There's no reason to stay with SAAMI factory loadings, either. The primers and brass will start looking really funky long before the big Enfield notices.

I'm probably going to go for a Boyd's stock. The original plan was to try to clean up the brutally hacked stocked the rifle came with, but the $97 "Prairie Hunter" in prairie laminate looks so good on my Mosin, why not?

#19 ·
HMMM ID SEE NO REAON TO CHANGE TI FROM 30-06 TO A DIFFERANT 30 CALIBUR CHOICE. IF YOU CANT KILL IT WITH A 30-06 YOU LIKEY SHOULD NOT BE SHOOTING AT IT. AS MENTIONED YOU CAN LIKELY LOAD PRETTY HOT FOR THE 30-06 IN THIS GUN BUT ITS NOT REALLY NESSACARY. IVE MADE A COUPE 500 YARDS SHOTS WITH MY 06 BACK IN THE DAY ON DEER.

YEA ID LOVE A 300 MAG BUT IF I WAS CARRING A 300 MAG ITS GOING TO NEED TO BE A LOT LIGHTER THAN THIS ENFILED IS. ITS TO HEAVY IMO FOR A LONG TIME CARRY RIFLE FOR HUNTING.

IF I GET IT ILL LIKELY SCOPE IT AN KEEP IT IN EPORTING TRIM. THE STOCK ON ITS GOT TO BE WORTH OVER $200 ( WISH I TOOK A PICTURE) . ID HATE TO WRECK A ORIGINAL BUT THIS WOULD BE ONE VERY NICE LOOKING DEER RIFLE WITH THE EARS MILLED OFF AN A HIGH QUALITY SCOPE RAIL AN SOME BLUING TO REPALCE THE PARKED FINISH. ITS SCREAMS I NEED ENGRAVING !

IM SUSPOED TO TALK TO THE GUY AFTER DEER SEASON IS OVER IN A COUPLE WEEKS.
I HAVE A MARLIN 308 WITH A SCOPE IM GOING TO OFFER HIM IN TRADE. HE WANTS A DEER RIFLE OR TO SCOPE HIS.

IM THINKING OF TRYING TO GET HIS SPANISH MAUSER AS WELL FOR A 444 RIMELSS MARLIN PROJECT I HAVE IN MIND. THINKING 18" BARREL SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT STOCK AN A LOW PROFILE SCOPE OR RED DOT. SORT OF A FAST HANDELING DEER DRIVE GUN.

#20 ·
Had one once. New sport stock, not a cut down. It had a scope and the bolt handle had a professional job done on it to change the knob. It had more rifling than my 03-A3. The rifle cocks on the down stroke, opposite the 03. The headspacing was a little different than the 03. I reloaded some 30-06 for the 03 and it stuck in the barrel of the 1917. It was a mighty fine shooter.

#21 ·
My father bought one from Ye Ald Hunter in the American Rifleman back in the 50's. He sporterized it with a new good stock and put a scope one it. I had the pleasure to hunt with it until my younger brother got ahold of it. It is one fine shooting rifle. It has I believe a four groove barrel and was a long range shooter in the .30-06. The only thing I found "different" was it cocked on the down bolt instead of like the 03-A3 on the opening of the bolt. And, the way it shot that was no problem. If my brother asked if I wanted it back, I would jerk it right out of his hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.