Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1916 SPANISH MAUSER

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

EJECTERS ARRIVED 5 FOR $5 AN I INSATLLED IT . $75 NOW IN THE GUN BUT IT WOULD BE USABLE IN A PINCH ALTHOUGH THE BARREL IS PRETTY BAD AT BREACH END. I HAVE NO PLANS TO FIRE IT.

ILL START LOOKING FOR STOCKS AN TRIGGERS NEXT.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

NICE EARINGS . WHATS IN THE MDDLE OF HIS CHIN A HOLE OR SOMETHING ???

WELL HERE HE IS

Suspect in Oregon mall shooting ID'd - CBS News

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HE WANTED TO BE A FIREMAN AN BUY A SANDWICH SHOP WTF??? STOLE THE RIFLE BTW IM SURE THE OWNER WILL GET BLAMED FOR SOMETHING,

Jacob Roberts: a perplexing path from big dreamer to mall shooter - Yahoo! News

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WTF HOW DID THOSE LAST POSTS GET THERE????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

ANY WAY THE SPANISH MAUSER WAS HANDED TO MY 12 YEAR OLD SON LAST NIGHT AN I TOLD HIM WE WILL BUILD IT TOGETER.

MY PLAN IS A VERY LIGHT WEIGHT SHORT BARREL SPORTER . WE WILL SLOWELY BUILD IT . IM THINKING 18 0R 19 INCH BARREL

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A STAINLESS LIGHT WEIGHT PROFILE REMINGTON BARREL I HAVE IN 260 REMINGTON. I MIGHT JUST LOAD IT LIGHT TO 6.5X55 PRESSURES AN LEAVE THE CHAMBER AS IS. IM ALSO LOOKING FOR LIGHT RECOAL AS WELL AN THE 6.5 WOULD BE A GOOD CALIBUR WIOTH BETTER THAN 243 ENERGY AN BETTTER BC. I HAVE A BUNCH OF 7.62X51 NATO LAKE CITY BRASS THAT CAN BE NECKED DOWN TO FIT THIS . MY MAIN FEAR IS GETTING A HOT LOAD IN IT BY ACCIDENT .

IM ALSO LOOKING AT 6.5X55 SWEDE WILD CAT THAT USES A SHORTEND 6.5X55 CHAMBER AN THEN SHORTEND DIES TO TO ALLOW YOU TO USE 308 PARRENT BRASS. I WOULD LIKE A CHAMBER THATR WILL NOT ALLOW HIGH PRESUSSURE FACTORY LOAD TO CHAMBER BUT WILL ALLOW ME TO USE 7.62 NATO BRASS AS THE PARRENT CASE. i HAVE 100 ROUNDS OF 7.62 PRIMED NATO BRASS SO ID LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USE IT IN THIS GUN. PROBLEM IS 243, 260, 7MM-08 308 , 588 WIN ARE ALL TO HOT IMO FOR THIS ACTION ESPECIALY WITH MY SON SHOOTING IT.

IM ALSO LOOKING AT POSSABLY USING TRIMMED 260 DIES AN A SHORTER CHAMBER OR MOVING THE NECK FORWARD OR BACK TO PREVENT MIX UPS THE PROBLEM IS THE AMMO THAT IS SHORT WOULD BE BAD IN A STANDARD CHAMBER DUE TO EXCESSIVE HEAD SPACE. THEN AGAIN I DONT HAVE 260 RIGHT NOW TO PUT THEM IN.

IS THERE A GOOD WAY TO DYE OR COLOR BRASS?????????????????????? THIS WOULD REDUCE THE RISK OF MIX UPS.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Well today I started looking at what I had for barrels. I realized I have a couple 260 Remington barrels off of model 7's . for those who don't know a model 7 is a light weight version of the model 700 they weight about 6.5 Pounds with a synthetic stock.

the barrels are stainless an a pretty thin profile. I know the 260 is SAMMI rated at about 61,000 like a 308 an 243 win psi an to much for the small ring supposedly. even though for the life of me I cant find much on small ring rilfes failing a little on lugs set back. I rather have a 6.5x55 swede or a 7mm mauser for safety sake but I don't have have the reamers an don't want o buy them yet even though im building a 6.5x55 large ring as well .
    my current thinking is use the 260 Remington chamber but off the breach face about
    .015" an set the barrel back a the same so a standard 260 round will not chamber an then trim a set o 260 dies to match it so they will bump back the shoulder an make ammo that will fit this gun only. Ill then neck down an size lace city 308 brass to fit. I bought a bunch of primed brass so this will be a better cheaper way to shoot it vs a 6.5x55 an also I don't have a 260 so the only ammo on hand will be my custom stuff any way.
    I realize I could still have a issue with my 260 short round finding its way into a standard 260 an chamber an have excsssive head space . Id rather have a light load on heavy NATO brass go off with a extra .010 head space stronger gun than a hot 65,000 psi load go off in the small ring gun. I also run the risk of my 6.5 x55 hot loads for my large ring build really doing some damage if they got swaped if I go with a swede chamber . So for know its going to be a 260 Remington with possably the shoulder pushed back. ill likely loose a 150-200 fps witht he lighter loads but it will still out do a 6.5 Grendel by a lot an work just fine on deer an will kick a little less so it will be more fun to shoot . also going with a 260 rem on a long action will allow me to seat high BC bullets all the way out I should be almost identical to commercial USA 6.5 swede loads in performance.

Ill stamp the barrel "6.5 x 51 BIGGUN 51,000 psi MAX. I can always rechamber to a 6.5x55 swede later if I get a reamer.

Any way Im thinking if a Remington can weight in at about 6.5 pounds a small ring mauser could do a little better with the right stock.

Im looking at the Choate synthetic with a the blind magazine that doesn't use a original floor plate or trigger guard. There pretty light. Im a little worried that there only made in a military step profile barrel an my super light profile barrel might not look good in it.

I don't know if you can bead these synthetic stock like a wood one an just fill in the gaps with bedding ????????????? if not im sure some thing can be found to fill in any gaps. like a rubber beading or something.

I think Ill mill my own scope bases at least the rear as there is not a lot of stuff that fits well on these with out work any way. ill mill off the hump for the stripper clip an ill just mill the rear of the reciver flat so a flat rail/base will just screw down on it. I haven't decide if I want a one or two piece base.

im looking into maybe trying a home made carbon fiber stock but I don't want to get to carried away on a $100 gun. an I don't have a lot of time as it is

the barrel is already bought an paid for I fact I have two. ill have to turn the old threads off an rethread to a small ring mauser .

I don't expect this to be a tack driver with such a light barrel but it should shoot as good as a Remington 7 I would think.

Im thinking a black stock an a deep blued action with a stainless barrel would look pretty good.

im planning on buying a good trigger with a side safety . is there any reason I could not just trim the original safety lever off a add a screw slot tot he orginal safety stem for allowing bolt dissembley an leave it functional but just off all the time???????? I really don't want to do a bunch of bolt shroud stuff. although I see were guys mod them to direct cases away from your face if a case should rupture or a primer blows.

After this Christmas my son is now the proud owner of this father son project rifle. an it will be his deer gun for the next few years. . The 6.5 caliber will also allow me to load some lighter load varmint rounds with light bullets . so it might see some light duty prairie dog shooting as well. I need to get this kid shooting more.

Im hoping my smith friend can get the barrel off this weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You might want to consider a popular wildcat 6.5x257 Roberts, the native 7x57 round necked down for 6.5. Reamers and dies available.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a 6x45 that I use nickle plated brass in so I don't confuse them with 223 cases. Even at a glance I know any nickled case is a 6x45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I considered nickel cases. However I have 1000 rounds of primed unfired lake city 7.62x54 here that ill be using.

Is there a way to die brass or stain It???????

I sort of see it like this I have a 243 that is not going to make much pressure if chambered , I have a 308 that wont chamber I currently don't have a 260 any more so it would be the only one in the house. an even if some how a factory 260 load made it into the chamber the the gun is not likely going to blow up. there are a lot of 308 barreled Spanish mauser were guys have shot factory as well as nato ammo. I have yet o see any proof of a kaboom. samco sent some of those guns to be tested an they all passed. I have seen some reports of lug setback. I have seen lots of 243 win small rings over the years as well. the 243 an 308 are about the same pressure as a 260 so I don't think there is a huge risk of a factory load blowing the gun apart .

ill be using heavy nato brass with harder nato primers loaded to around 50,000 psi the same level as a 7mm mauser or 6.5 swede. ill loose about 100 fps over maximum listed loads. if the gun is safe in 7mm mauser it will be safe with my loads. Id rather have a swede 96 action to work with but I have what I have. kimber sold swede 96,s in 22-250 an there pressure is 65,000 psi they also sold 308,s in 243,

the 1916 action I have is ported for gases should a nato case rupture . Im looking at bolt shroud mods to protect your eyes in the event of a case or primer failure .

my biggest concern is threading the barrel to the correct head space with a existing chamber. . I am seriously considering a barrel nut set up like a savage an that would allow for a switch barrel in a few different caliburs. I have 22 cheetah reamer that loaded light will still give 3,900 fps this would make a cool varmint coyote gun

I might also do a 6mm BRX wild cat reamer also an a barrel for that would be fun.

my main goal right now is a 6.5 pound or less hunter under around $250

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You might want to consider a popular wildcat 6.5x257 Roberts, the native 7x57 round necked down for 6.5. Reamers and dies available.
    that would certainly make a good round an would have more case capacity . Since I have 1000 primed lake city cases sitting here im going to keep it based on a .308 /7.62nato round as the parent brass. I want my kid to be able to shoot this a lot an this is the cheapest route. I have the barrel an the dies already so ill have no out of pocket costs

my biggest concern is cutting the threads with out screwing it up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

saw this reguarding the 6.5x55 swede

The CIP MAP for the 6.5 55 is 380 MPa (55000 PSI). SAAMI MAP for this cartridge is 46,000 CUP or 51000 PSI.[2] All Swedish Mauser actions were proof-tested with a single 6.5 55mm proof load developing approximately 55,000 CUP (66,000 psi).[3]

hmmm so if a 6.5 swede is safe on a Spanish mauser ( no proof it is ) then I should be safe with any loads in 260 reminton in the 51,000 range.

I have been looking at load data. it looks like the 260 at 51,000 psi gives up about 150 fps or more with 140 grain bullets. there is a ackely improved 260 rem that would give me back some case capacity on 308 parent brass but there would need to be a reamer bought .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.