Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1916 SPANISH MAUSER

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Keep the loads 15-20% lighter than SAAMI spec and it will be sweet and safe...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Keep the loads 15-20% lighter than SAAMI spec and it will be sweet and safe...
    YEAP iM GOING TO STICK AROUND 51,000 PSI OR UNDER .

I SEE THE 46,000 CUP IS THE SAMI MAX FOR THE 6.5 AN 7MM MAUSER . SO IM GOING TO SAY MY RECIVER IS SAFE FOR THE 51,000 PSI . THATS THE PSI NUMBER I FOUND FOR 6.5 SWEDE.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A 20" BARREL AN AS LIGHT AS I CAN MAKE IT WITH OUT SPENDING LOTS OF MONEY AN A KID WILL BE SHOOTING IT SO 2500 FPS OR SO WITH A 140 GRAIN WILL BE JUST FINE ON DEER AN ITS GOT ABOUT A 430 BC . IT WILL BE JUST FINE FOR WHITE TAIL AN THE RECIOL SHOULD BE LIGHT WITH A REDUCED LOAD

IM LOOKING AT THE BOLD TRIGGERS FOR ABOUT $38 FROM BOYDS WITH A SIDE SAFETY . ADJUSTABLE DOWN TO SOME THING LIKE 2.5 POUNDS . MORE WITH MODIFICATION .

IM LOOKING AT A DUAL CRIP THUMB HOLE ULTRA LIGHT LAMINATED WOOD STOCK FROM RICHARDS . ANY ONE EVER USE THEM ????????????

THERE ARE SOME TRADITIONAL MONTE CARLO TYPE STOCKS FROM THEM AS WELL AVALAIBLE AS SECONDS THAT MIGHT LOOK GOOD WITH A TEXURISED FINISH. I WAS THINKING COUNTER TOP PAINT MIGHT WORK GOOD. YOU CAN GET A STOCK FOR UNDER $50 IN A BLEM . I COULD LIKELY THIN IT AN SLOT THE FORE END AN DRILL IT OUR HERE AN THERE TO GET SOME WEIGHT OFF. WOOD WOULD MAKE BEDDING AN GETTING A NICE CLEAN BARREL CHANNEL EASIER. OT WOULD LOOK AN FEEL BETTER BUT IF I CAN FIND A CHOATE CHEAP I MIGHT GO PLATIC . THEY LOOK AN FEEL CHEAP BUT ARE LIGHT

BOYDS GOT A LAMINATED LIGHT WEIGHT TUMBHOLE WITH A STRAIGHT COMB WITH A PAD AN END CAP FOR AROUNG $90 THYE WEIGHT ABOUT 2,3 POUNDS

I HAVE BEEN THINKING A ALUMINUM FLOOR PLATE AN A ALLOY OR COMPOSITE TRIGGER GUARD .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I HAVE BEEN THINKING A SECOND LIKE THIS FOR ABOUT $50 MIGHT BE A GOOD WAY TO GO WITH A TEXURED PAINTED FINISH

Monte Carlo Style

THEN AGAIN FOR ANOTHER $50 THERE ARE A LOT OF CHOICES THAT DONT NEED TO BE PAINTED.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I like Boyds. I have used many. The thumbhole stocks are really handy, and they are comfortable too. The comb is pretty good for a variety of shooter sizes. Length of pull should work for a boy of the age / size you are talking about.

Don't worry too much about the SAMMI specs. The Mauser you have was made at La Coruna, and those are known good. A little healthy conservatism is always a good thing, so you are on the right track.

I am a big fan of these rifles. I was an even bigger fan when they were $65 and a 7.62x39 barrel was $45. Just sayin....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I like Boyds. I have used many. The thumbhole stocks are really handy, and they are comfortable too. The comb is pretty good for a variety of shooter sizes. Length of pull should work for a boy of the age / size you are talking about.
    GOOD TO KNOW. IM NOT REALL FOND OF THERE STRAIGHT COMB ON THERE TUMBHOLE STOCK BUT AS LONG AS IT PROVIDES A CHECK WELD THEN IM OK WITH IT.

THE RICHARDS MICROFIT DUAL GRIP IS A NICE LOOKING STOCK AS WELL AN THE PRICE IS PRETTY GOOD ALSO . MY MAIN CONCERN IS GETTING A SMALL ENOUGH BARREL CHANNEL FOR THE REMINGTON MODEL BARREL I HAVE . I GUESS IF I USE WOOD I CAN FILL IN ANY GAPS WITH BEDDING . IF I GOET A WOOD STOCK UP IM GOING TO THIN IT DOWN IN THE FORE GRIP AN THE HAND GRIP AREA AS WELL AS POSSABLY THE SIDES AROUND THE RECIVER. I HAVE A FEW BOLT ACTIONS THAT ARE HARD TO CARRY BECAUSE THE STOCK IS TO CHUNCKY. IM FAIRLY SHORT MY SELF SO WANT TO GET THE WHOLE GUN ON THE PETITE SIDE FOR WEIGHT AN EASE OF CARRY .

THE BARREL IS .570 ATT HE MUZZEL AN IS 22" LONG STAINLESS REMINGTON MODEL 7 IN 260. IM GLOING TO LOAD IT TO ABOUT 51,000 PSI AN CALL IT GOOD . THERE ARE PLEANTY OF GOOD LOADS IN THAT RANGE. SINCE THE 6.5 GRENDAL CAME OUT THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW NEW HUNTING BULLETS IN THE 125 GRAIN RANGE MADE TO EXPAND AT THE LOWER GRENDEL SPEEDS SO THEY SHOULD WORK REALLY GOOD AT LONGER RANGES WITH MY FASTER THAN GRENDAL LOADS. EVEN LOADED DOWN THE 260 WILL KICK THE GRENDELS ASS AN A LOT OF GUYS BEEN HUNTING DEER WITH THE GRENDEL SO ILL BE A HEAD OF THEM BALESTICALY SPEACKING AN I CAN STIIL GET DECENT SPEEDDS WITH 140 GRAIN STUFF. I THINK iLL LEAVE THE BARREL AT 22" IT WILL HELP THE VELOCITY SOME . ORIGIANLY I CONSIDERED CUTTNG IT DOWN TO 18 OR 19 INCH BUT ITS ONLY GOING TO LOOSE A FEW OUNCES A FROM WHAT I READ THE 260 NEEDS THE LONGER BARREL TO REALLY WORK WELL. WAS THINKING A BREAK ON IT MIGT BE COOL HAVENT DECIDED

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING REALLY HARD AT THIS STOCK

Dual Grip Thumbhole Style

A LAMAINTE IN A BLACK AN GREY WOULD GO NICE WITH A STANLESS BARREL ON A BLUED ACTION MAYBE WITH A SILVER SCOPE. A LITTLE OUT SIDEMY BUDGET BUT WOULD MAKE FOR A CLASSY LOOKING RIG .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Richards stocks are very good, but normally require significantly more fitting than Boyd's, which are also very good. Richards has a bigger selection by far, also a long wait unless they have what you are looking for in stock.

I have bought both, like both. A friend put a Boyd's thumb hole laminate on a Swede sporter and it came out really nice. Bold triggers are very good, Optima has safety.

I have a Spanish 1916 small ring in .308/7.62 NATO, and I stick to NATO spec ammo or loads in it. I have shot some commercial .308, and won't hesitate to do so on occasion, kinda like shooting a little +P ammo in a handgun not in spec for it, just not on a regular basis.

If you had wanted to go old school, you could have considered .300 Savage or .250 Savage. Another would be the 7.65x53 Argie, nearly identical ballistics to .308, at lower pressures, just slightly larger bullet (.310-.311).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

you could have considered .300 Savage
    I CONSIDERD IT PRETTY HARD AS I HAVE THE REAMER AN A FEW TAKE OFF BARRELS IN 30 CAL . AN THE BRASS CAN BE MADE FROM 308 WIN. I ALSO CONSIDERED 358 WIN AN 35 REMINGTON. I WAS DOWN TO 243, 260, 7MM-08, 300 SAVAGE, 308, 358 WIN AS THEY COULD ALL USE THE BRASS. I WOULD HAVE GONE 7MM-08 IF I HAD A BARREL AN I FELT 358WIN WOULD KICK TO MUCH FOR A 12 YEAR OLD. NOW IF I DE A BARREL NUT BUILD AN I MAY VERY WELL THERE WILL BE A FEW EXTRA BARREL MADE FOR THIS . IHAVE ACESS TO A 20-250 REAMER , 22-250 REAMER, OWN A 22 CHEETAH REAMER, AN 258 WIN REAMER AN 6MM BRX. I HAVE BARRELS IN BUNCH OF OTHER CALIBURS.

I RULLED OUT THE 6MM BRX DUE TO IT NEEDING REALLY HIGH PRESSURES TO GET WHAT I WANT IN A HUNTING RIFLE AN IT WONT LIKELY FEED WELL AS ITS SO SHORT BUT A SPARE BARREL AN A SINGEL SHOT FOLLOWER AN IT WOULD BE A GREAT VARMITN RIG. I COULD HAVE FOUND A MODEL 7 REM IN 20" L IGHT WEIGHT I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH IT OVER THE 260 AS ITD BETTER ON DEER OUT TO 300 YDS IMO

I DECIDED ON THIS BARREL IN 260 REM FOR SEVERAL REASONS

1, I HAVE TWO MINT SAINLESS STEEL MODEL 7 VERY THIN PROFILE BARRELS HERE AN PAID FOR.

2 THERE REALLY LIGHT AN THERE PAID FOR

3. I HAVE THE DIES AN THE HEADSPACE GUAGE AN THERE PAID FOR

4 I HAVE 1000 ROUNDS OF PRIMED NATO BRASS THAT WILL SIZE DOWN .AN ITS PAID FOR.

5 THE RECOIL WILL BE LESS AN THE GUN WILL BE MORE FUN TO SHOOT BY ME AN MORE MANAGBLE BUY MY 12 YEAR OLD. IT WILL SHOOT MUCH FLATTER OUT PAST 300 YARDS MAKING RANGE ESTIMATION LESS CRITCASL FOR A KID. IT IS A BETTER CHOICE THEN A 243 ON DEER BUT IS ALSO GOOD FOR LIMITED VARMIT SHOOTING. WITH LIGHT LOADS AN BULLETS THIS GUN WILL MAKE A GREAT PLINKER AS WELL.
    IF THE LIGHT BARRELIS ACCURATE ENOUGH THE 260 WILL OUT DO THE 260 AT LONG RANGE AN THE GUN COULD BE SUTIABLE FOR LONG RANGE HUNTING . BUT THATS NOT MY INITAL REASON . if IT SHOOTS 1.5" AT 100 ILL BE HAPPY WITH IT FOR A LIGHT WEIGTH UNDER 250 YRAD DEER RIFLE. IF ITS BETTER THEN ILL THING ABOUT CROSS CANYON STUFF .

6 I HAVE 3 BOXES OF BULLETS AN THERE PAID FOR.

7 IF I DECIDE I WANT A 6.5 X 55 SWEDE ALL I NEED TO DO IS BUY OR RENT THE REAMER AN RECHAMBER IT. AN THERE IS A GOOD POSSABILITY THAT ILL NEED A REAMER FOR MY LARGE RING 6.5 SWEDE SHULTS AN LARSEN TARGET BARREL PROJECT .

IM WATING ON MY SMITH BUDDY BUT HE GOT BUSY .

I MIGHT MAKE UP A ACTION WRENCH AN TRY TO PULL THE BARREL MY SELF . THE OLD BARREL IS JUNK SO IM SURE A BIG PIPE WRENCH WILL WORK FOR THAT PART.

IM THINKING I MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE THE OLD BARREL STUB TO MAKE A BOLT FACING/TRUING TOOL JUST BORE IT OUT TO TAKE A TOOL TO TRUE THE BOLT FACE. ????????????????????/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Bold triggers are very good, Optima has safety.
    IM THINKING OF GOING WITH THE OPTIMA .
    I WAS THINKING IG JUST TRIMMING THE TANG OFF THE OLD SAFETY AN THEN SLOTING IT FOR A SCREW DRIVER SO IT CAN BE TURNED FOR BOLT DISSASEMBLY.

BASICALY JUST LEAVING THE GUTS THERE AN LEAVING IT IN THE OFF POSITION WITH THE ABILITY TO ROTATE IT WITH A SCREE DRIVER. NOT SURE IF ITS A GOOD IDEA OR NOT . I HAVENT REALLY LOOKID INTO BOLT MODS YET I DO WANT SAFTEY ;LIKE THE OPTIMA OR POSSABLY A PUSH BUTTON TRIGGER BAR SET UP . IN SURE THEO OPTIMA SET UP WOULD BE FINE .

IM A LONG WAYS FROM NEEDING A STOCK YET lol

Feedback Score

I have owned 3 1916's in 7x57. I sporterised and refinished them. They all shot 4" groups at 100 yds. Not bad for a military rifle. I love the 7mm and wish I had kept one of them. I would stay the 7x57 for my self. As has been saied, you can take anything in the lower 48 with one.
    I had one Spanish Mil. convirson in .308. It was backing out primers so I sold it. I read later that they had a problem with over pressure, so Spain down loaded their ammo.
    Good luck no matter what you choose.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.