Gunco Forums banner

1916 SPANISH MAUSER

11K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
WELL IM THE PROUD OWNER IF A 1916 SMALL RING MAUSER MADE IN 1931. THE BARREL IS ROUGH WITH MUCH OF THE THROAT AN BEGINING RIFLEING IN IN BAD SHAPE. THE STOCK IS CRACKED AN THE BARREL BAND IS WRONG WERE THE SLING GOES. ITS STILL IN 7MM MAUSER BUT WOTH THE BAD BARREL IT REALLY DOSENT MATTER. IT ALSO MISSING THE EJECTER . THE RECIVER IS FAIRLY DECEN WITH ONLY LIGHT PITTING UNDER THE WOOD LINE. I GAVE A GUY $70 FOR IT HOPING THE BARREL WOULD BE USABLE. ITS A SMALL RING SIMULAR A 94 IM READING BUT WITH A GAS PORT ON IN THE RECIVER SIDE A BENT BOLT ( WONT CLEAR A A SCOPE ) AN A CUT OUT FOR YOUR FINGERS ON THE LH SIDE. IT HAS A 22" BARREL FACTORY . IT A NEAT LITTEL GUN ID NOT MESS WITH IT IF IT WASENT IN SUCH BAD SHAPE.

IM THINKING OF REBARRELING IT TO A LOW PRESSURE ROUND FOR SAFTEY REASON AN MAKE A LIGHT WEIGHT SPORTER. 6MM-250 ( LOADED LIGHT) 6.5X55, 7MM MAUSER , 257 ROBERTS, 300 SAVAGE AN 35 REMINGTON ARE ON MY SHORT LIST OF IDEAS. IM THINKING MY SON CAN USE IT ON DEER FOR A FEW YEARS. THE 7MM MAUSER IT CURRENTLY IS WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT IF THE BARREL WAS NOT SO BAD.

ITS MY UNDERSTANDING A REMINGTON 700 TAKE OFF CAN BE TURNED AN RETHREADED WITH OUT RECHAMBERING. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE????

IF SO I HAVE A BUNCH OF BARRELS . ID LOVE TO DO A 243 OR 6MM REMINGTON AN LOAD LIGHT BUT ID BE AFRAID TO ACCIDENTALY SWAP IN A HOT ROUND. I HAVE A MINT SS 260 REMINGTON BARREL HERE I COULD MACHINE TO FIT AN MAYBE RECHAMBER IT TO 6.5X55 ITS A LIGHT WEIGHT PROFILE . IM BUILDING A LARGE RING 6.5X55 SO ID HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR MIXING ROUNDS.

I HAVE ALSO CONSIDERED A WILD CAT OF SOME SORT BUT I REALY DONT WANT TO GET TO CARRIED AWAY ON A $70 GUN. A RIMMLESS 444 MARLIN CAME TO MIND. MAYBE A 260 OR 243 REMINGTON WITH A SHORTENED CHAMBER AN THE DIES TRIMMED SO THE SHOULDER IS PUSHED BACK, THAT WAY A STANDARD ROUND WOULD NOT CHAMBER ONLY ISSUE IS THEN THEY WOULD HAVE EXCESSIVE HEAD SPACE IN A STANDARD CHAMBER. HMM MAYBE JUST SOME NICKLE PLATED BRASS TO MAKE IT EASY TO SEE. HMMMMM

IM THINKING NEW SPORTER STOCK , TRIGGER , SCOPE , BARREL AN A LOT OF POLISHING METAL AN BEING ABLE SHOOT OFF THE SHELF ROUNDS IF NEEDED WOULD BE THE KISS PLAN.

I DONT WANT A 7.62X39 ITS TO LIGHT FOR MY NEEDS.

ILL POST PICS SOON I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 6.5X55 SWEDE ACTION ALREADY TO SHOOT. I HOPE I CAN MAKE THESE BARREL THREADS ON MY LATHE. I SEE THERE ARE SOME ADAMS AN BENETTE BARRELS AT MID WAY FOR UNDER $100.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've got a couple of Winchesters chambered for .25-06. It seems to me that they perform better than a .243 and have plenty enough power for deer. Also, the price per round won't break the bank. The recoil won't break old worn out shoulders,either.
I know that I'm getting over my head if I get in a discussion like this but I really like that cartridge. I notice that not many folks deal with it and kind of wonder why not?

#4 ·
Good deal 1biggun, now ya got something to work with. It's getting so there harder to find now days. I'm glad I've got the 10 or so Mausers I do have. All of you already know I'm a huge Mauser fan anyhow.

Just careful on the pressures on the Spanish actions, there the weakest of the Mauser actions, seen a couple go up in smoke in my days by people pushing the limits to much with them.

I saw a SWEAT 6.5x55 Sweed the other day in a local gun shop that a guy was thinking about getting from one of his friends, he was there to get an idea what it was worth. This was a nice one too 98% original bluing, all matching, but the stock had been refinished,, the only down side.

I told him if he didn't buy it,,,, I SURE WOULD!!! It was a beatuy.

#6 ·
Brownells has some of their own brand large ring barrels for short money.

High Quality, Value Priced, Ready To Install

At last! Factory grade, ready-to-install, 4140 chrome moly barrels in popular calibers at a price that puts a custom-built sporter on a Mauser 98 action within everyone’s reach. Compact, 24" length is great for fast-handling hunting rifles. Stress-relieved, button-rifled, right-hand twist barrels are short chambered, crowned, and fully threaded. All you have to do is finish chambering, set the headspace, and polish and blue the exterior.

SHORT CHAMBERED MAUSER BARREL | Brownells

#7 ·
7MM Mauser is a perfect caliber. It will bring down any game in the USA, and was used for elephant for many years in Africa.

I sold a 93 Mauser Carbine in 7MM to a fellow worker years ago. After the next deer season, I asked if he had any luck with it. Turns out he killed three deer as fast as he could pull the trigger and work the bolt.

When I asked if he would sale it back to me, he said "not a chance".

#8 ·
I ALREADY HAVE A 7MM MAUSER SPORTER WITH A SHILEN BARREL ON A 98 LARGE RING ACTION. ITS A REAT GUN THE MEDIUM SPORTER BARREL MAKES IT A LITTLE TO HEAVY FOR MY TASTES . ITS A GREAT SHOOTER WITH FULL PRESSURE LOADS. SIOME DAY IM GOING TO LOAD UP SOME VLDS AN SEE HOW IT WORKS AT LONG DISTANCE.

IM WORKING WITH A SMALL RING ACTION HERE HOW EVER AN THE 25-06 , 308, 30-06 , 243, 260, 7MM08 ARE REALLY ALL MUCH HIGHER PRESSURE ROUNDS.

I HAVE SEEN ALL KINDS OF TALK OF THE SPANISH AN OTHER SMALL RINGS BLOWING UP BUT I HARDLEY CAN FIND ANY ACTUAL PROOF . THERE A TON OF DISCUSSION ON THE 7.62 CONVERSIONS THAT A LOT OF THE 1916,S ENDED UP BEING BUT LITTLE PROOF OF A KABOM . LOTS OF TALK ABOUT BOLTS SETTING BACK.

MY KID IS GOING TO HAVE HIS FACE NECT TO THIS SO THE PRESSURES WILL AT OR BELOW WHAT EVER THE ORIGINAL 7MM MUASER ROUND IS SPECKED OUT.

YES I THINK THE 7 MAUSER IS A GREAT ROUND ITS BETTER ON DEER THAN A 243 AN EVEN A 260 REMINGTON AT CLOSE RANGE AN WILL BEAT A 7MM-08 IF LOADED UP IN A STRONG ACTION.

IM THINKING IN A GUN AS LIGHT AT I WANT TO BUILD THIS THAT 6.5X55 AN 7 MAUSER ARE LEADING THE LIST FOLLOWED BY A 257 ROBERTS

I NEED TO CHECK THE PRESSURE ON THE 257. THE 257 WAS AT ONE TIME IN THE TOP 5 BEST DEER RIFLES ACCORDING TO THE MAGAZINES . MY MOM AN AUNT HAVE KILLED A LOT OF DEER WITH HERS. A 300 SAVAGE IS A GOOD CHOICE AS WELL BUT THE RECOIL STARTS GOING UP AS WELL . I KIND OF WNAT TO KEEP IT SIMPLE AN BE ABLE TO SELL IT KNOWING A FACTORY LOAD WILL NO BLOW IT UP.

22-250 IS A GREAT ROUND BUT WITH A 65,000 PSI SAMMI MAX AN GUYS OFTEN EXCEDING THAT ITS A POOR CHOICE FOR A SMALLR ING ACCORDING TO WHAT IM READING. ( UNDER STAND I NOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THESE BUT LEARNING FAST)

IM WORKING ON A 6MM BR VARIANT THAT WOULD BE FUN IN IT ALSO BUT AGAIN THAT ROUND NEEDS HIGH PRESSURE THE GET THE MOST OUT OF IT.

IM GOING TO COLLECT PARTS AN WHEN I GOT ALL OF THEM ILL BUILD IT . I STILL HAVE THE GERMAN GEW 98 TO PUT A SHULTS AN LARSEN BARREL ON FIRST AS WELL AS A STAINLESS RUGER 77 in 22-250 WITH A COMPLELTY SHOT OUT HEAVY BULL BARREL THATS AS ABOUT AS CLOST TO BENCH REST AS A RUGER CAN GET THAT NEEDS A BARREL. IM GOING TO DO A 6MM BRX ON IT AN TRY IT IN A MATCH OR TO MAYBE . THE GUN HAS WON A FEW EVENTS BUY THE PREVIOUS OWNER. ITS IS SUSPOSEDLY ONE OF THE MOST ACCURATE RUGERS EVER BUILD ( YEA IM DOUBT FULL EITHER BUT THERE IS SOME SERIOUS WORK DONE TO IT SO WE WILL SEE)

WAY TO MANY PROJECTS.

#9 ·
7x57 will be fine IMHO. I have heard the 1916 was weak and would blow up with 308 Winchester ammo. I could find no reports of failure on the net.

I would look for a new original barrel but it might be cheaper to just get an after market fitted. An after market might be best if you want to build a lightweight.

SAMCO in Miami FL used to sell these and may have barrels.

#11 ·
I had a 93 mauser sporter in 7x57 and it was a nice shooting rifle. I got it after watching a guy use an unmodified 1893 to shoot a running deer at about 200 yards with FMJ ammo (not the best for hunting). He fired 4 shots and hit the deer 3 times in the lungs. I could cover all three shots with my hand. He missed the 4th shot as the deer jumped a fence and collapsed on the other side. The deer probably would of dropped faster if he would of used expanding bullets. After that I shot the rifle and was suprized on the mild recoil. I ended up selling my 7x57 years later when I lived in a shotgun only state. Right now I'm debating putting a 7x57 on a 1891 mauser or putting on an octagon barrel in 250 savage. Can't seem to find a 7mm octagon barrel at a reasonable cost or I'd go that route in a heartbeat.

#12 ·
IF I CAN RETHREAD A REM 700 BARREL TO A SMALL RING THREAD ILL JUST DO THAT.

I COULD ALSO JUST RECHAMBER A 7MAG BARREL AFTER CUTTING HTE END OFF. THE MONEY ID SAVE ON USING A REM 700 OR SIMULER BARREL W OULD GO A LONG WYS TO A REAMER I COULD REUSE A FEW TIMES.

I HAVE A LOT OF WAYS TO GO FROM .17 THROUGH .458 WITH TAKE OFF BARRELS.
IF I CAN USE REMINGTON TAKE OFF BARREL WITH AN EXISTING CHAMBER AN JUST TURN AN THREAD I CAN DO A BARREL FOR ABOUT $20.

#13 ·
well here is what it looks like. from 5 feet away it looks great for $70 but the bore is crap the stock has a small crack starting at the wrist, its missing the ejector, the barrel band were the sling attaches is wrong.

I happen to have about 20 remington 700 take off barrels in various caliburs. 22-250, 223, 243, 260, 7mm-08, 7mm mag 308, 30-06, 300 mag, 300 ultra mag, 300 WSSM.
ID LIKE TO BUILD A LIGHT WEIGHT SPORTER OUT OF IT AN I DONT WANT TO GEWT MORE THAN $125 MORE INTO IT. ILL HAVE TO SHOP WISELY AN DO A BARREL FROM SOMETHING i ALREADY HAVE HERE. NONE IF THE CALIBURES ABOVE ARE OK FOR THIS ACTION AS THERE ALL TO HIGH IN PRESSURE. I REALIZE I COULD LOAD LIGHT FOR SEVERAL OF THE ABOVE CALIBURS BUT ID BE REALLY AFRAID OF A MIX UP AS I HAVE OTHER GUNS IN MANY OF THEM.

im looking at maybe trimming off the back of the 7mag barrel an rechambering to
7mm mauser an rethreading it to fit the snmall ring. Unfortunatly I dont have the reamer. I could also do a 300 savage on a .30 cal barrel but I dont want to deal with feed issues if there are any. I have the reamer for it . Im sort of looking for a 257 roberts barrel maybe. The 260 Rem could become a 6,5x55 but again no reamer I have seen some really cheap plastic stocks that dont use the floor plate an trigger guard there really light. I have reamers for 17-233 bolt face to big, 22 cheatah ( necked down 308) 7.62x25( would make a awsome plinker) 6mm-284 (way to powerfull loaded up but would work great loaded lighter maybe ) 6mm BRX (to short to feed wel lan will have high pressure rounds layng around ) 300 savage pressure just right may not feed well with out tweaks ) 7.62x39 ( bolt face to small an the round is too weak IMO form my wants as a deer gun, to short to feed properly ) 358 Win ( hmmm might work if loaded with in limits no other guns in house shooting it, calibrure might be hard to feed, no barrel blanks great brush roiund deer drive no scoupe round ) ill just have to see what i come up with on the barrel

i have also looked at those 45acp conversiions ( not really good for any hting except plinking but it would be fun fo that. there $160 an out of the budget )

ill need a trigger, ill need to bend the bolt an ill need to get scope bases for it, make a barrel and buy a stock for under $125 or under, the trigger seems to be the most expsnive part a, id like like a side saftey version as well if im going to buy a new one. Im thinking this will be a father son project an he will get the gun at some point.

I have also considered leaving it iron sights as well an making it a light weight deer drive brush gun I would noe need to rework the already factory bent bolt that will hit a scope. not considering a scout mount at this time. its going to be some thing as its no good as is. LOL

Attachments

#14 ·
well here is what it looks like. from 5 feet away it looks great but the bore is crap the stock has a small crack starting at the wrist its missing the ejector, the barrel band were the sling attaches is wrong.

I happen to have about 20 remington 700 take off barrels in various caliburs. 22-250, 223, 243, 260, 7mm-08, 7mm mag 308, 30-06, 300 mag, 300 ultra mag, 300 WSSM.
ID LIKE TO BUILD A LIGHT WEIGHT SPORTER OUT OF IT AN I DONT WANT TO GEWT MORE THAN $125 MORE INTO IT. ILL HAVE TO SHOP WISELY AN DO A BARREL FROM SOMETHING i ALREADY HAVE HERE. NONE IF THE CALIBURES ABOVE ARE OK FOR THIS ACTION AS THERE ALL TO HIGH IN PRESSURE. I REALIZE I COULD LOAD LIGHT FOR SEVERAL OF THE ABOVE CALIBURS BUT ID BE REALLY AFRAID OF A MIX UP AS I HAVE OTHER GUNS IN MANY OF THEM.

im looking at maybe trimming off the back of the 7mag barrel an rechambering to
7mm mauser an rethreading it to fit the snmall ring. Unfortunatly I dont have the reamer. I could also do a 300 savage on a .30 cal barrel but I dont want to deal with feed issues if there are any. I have the reamer for it . Im sort of looking for a 257 roberts barrel maybe. The 260 Rem could become a 6,5x55 but again no reamer I have seen some really cheap plastic stocks that dont use the floor plate an trigger guard there really light. I have reamers for 17-233 bolt face to big, 22 cheatah ( necked down 308) 7.62x25( would make a awsome plinker) 6mm-284 (way to powerfull loaded up but would work great loaded lighter maybe ) 6mm BRX (to short to feed wel lan will have high pressure rounds layng around ) 300 savage pressure just right may not feed well with out tweaks ) 358 Win ( hmmm might work if loaded with in limits no other guns in house shooting it, calibrure might be hard to feed, no barrel blanks great brush roiund deer drive no scoupe round ) ill just have to see what i come up with on the barrel

ill need a trigger, ill need to bend the bolt an ill need to get scope bases for it, make a barrel and buy a stock for under $125 or under, the trigger seems to be the most expsnive part a, id like like a side saftey version as well. im thinking this will be a father son project an he will get the gun at some point.

I have also considered leaving it iron sights as well. not considering a scout mount at this time. its going to be some thing as its no good as is. LOL

#15 ·
i have also been considering a lock ring set up like the savage uses. Id have to come up with a spaner nut thats thread with mauser threads or a second set of threads that are just for th nut somehow. the rine lander conversion uses a lock nut also in 45 acp.

#16 ·
The ejector shoud be easy to find. I wonder if they're specific to the model year or if they're all interchangeable? Since you're not pressed for time you can do some trolling on ebay to find the trigger and a stock. The savage type locknut is a good idea. There was an article on doing that in SGN a year or so ago. I've done it with a ar15 barrel and found it was a little more forgiving than standard chambering.

#17 ·
The ejector shoud be easy to find. I wonder if they're specific to the model year or if they're all interchangeable? Since you're not pressed for time you can do some trolling on ebay to find the trigger and a stock. The savage type locknut is a good idea. There was an article on doing that in SGN a year or so ago. I've done it with a ar15 barrel and found it was a little more forgiving than standard chambering.
I THINK THE EJECTOR IS THE SAME ON MANY OF THE SMALL RINGS BUT I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT WHAT WILL AN WONT FIT.

MAKING A BARREL NUT IS GOING TO BE A LITTLE CHALLANGING I GUESS ITS TIME TO BUY SOME MORE TOOLING FOR INIDE THREADS. THERE ARE TAPS TO FIT THE SMALL RING RECIVER I SUSPOSE i COULD USE THAT BUT THERE EXPENSIVE AN ILL HAVE THE LATHE SET UP FOR THE RIGHT PITCH ANY WAY.

LANCASTER ARMS USES A BARREL NUT ONHTERE 45ACP CONVERSION I WNDER IF THEY WOULD SELL A NUT SEPERATLY????????

AS FAR AS I CAN FIND OUIT ON A SMALL RING THE BARREL REGISTERS ON THE FACE OF THE RECIVER VS A INNER RING ON A 98. IS THIS CORRECT??????????????

IF I HAD REAMERS FOR EVERY THING ID JUST DO A TRADITION BARREL INSTALL AN THEN FINISH REAM WHEN DONE.

I DONT WANT TO MAKE A HUGE DEAL OVER THIS BUILD ILL LIKELY NEVER CHANGE BARRELS AROUND OR ANY OF THAT STUFF.

i JUST WANT TO MAKE IT A USBALE DECENT LOOKING HUNTING RIFLE THAT CAN HANDEL SO ABUSE. A CHEAP PLASTIC STOCK KEEPS GETTTING MORE APEALING NOT SURE HOW THEY WILL SHOOT IF NOT BEDDED IN AN ALL THAT THOUGH.

#18 ·
EJECTOR ON THE WAY FROM EBAY PACK OF 5 FOR $5 HOPE THEY FIT.

i HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT CHOATE STOCKS . THEY HAVE A BLIND MAGAZINE AN DONT USE THE FACTORY FLOOR PLATE OR TRIGGER GUARD SEEM PRETTY LIGHT BUT HAVE A SLIGHTLY CHEAP HOLLOW FEEL. I SAW A LARGE RING AT A SHOW TODAY THAT HAD ONE ON IT. FELST A LITTLE CHEAP BUT THE WEIGHT SEEMED GOOD. IM MORE ABOUT GETTING THIS GUNS WEIGHT DOWN FOR A KIT TO PACK.

ANY ONE EVER USE A CHOATE STOCK ON A MAUSER????? IM WONDERING IF IT CAN BE BEDDED ??????????

#19 · (Edited)
Hello 1biggun,
Sarco does list a couple interesting barrels.

MSR381 7x57 19" Large ring 98 new.
MSR110 7x57 19" w/outside pits but new bore. Lg ring.
MSR254 6.5x55 Swede for M-94 small ring.

I'd consider using the Swede 6.5x55 barrel and make the rifle into a Swede carbine clone with the early schnable end cap etc. I did this many years ago.

note: the large ring barrels will need to have the threads turned down and rethreaded back to 12 TPI.

VD in AZ

#20 ·
NOT A BAD DEAL ON THE 6.5 BARREL ( TOOK ME A WHILE TO FIND THEM)

I THINK IM GOING FOR A MORE SPORTER TYPE PROFILE.

IM GOING TO TRY RETHREADING A REMINGTON TAKE OFF BARREL IF i SCREW IT UP ILL JUST USE IT ON A AK BUILD.

I HAVE A COUPLE STAINLESS 260 REMINGTON BARRELS IN A SUPER LIGHT SPORTER PROFILE. IM THINKING OF RETHREADING ONE OF THOSE AN THEN EITHER LOADING IT LIGHT IN 260 OR RECHAMBERING IT TO 6.5X55. iM STILL GOING TO HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR HOT AMMO GETTING SWAPPED IN AS IM BUILDING A LARGE RING 6.5 SWEDE AN IT WILL BE LOADED TO 65,000 PSI.

IM THINKING MAYBE NICKEL PLATED BRASS FOR THE SMALL RING AN LEAVING IT A 260 REMINGTON IF IT FEEDS OK AN LOADING IN THE 48,000 PSI RANGE. ILL BE COLLECTING PARTS FOR A WHILE . I MAY NEEED TO BUY A 6.5 SWEDE REAMER FOR MY 98 ACTON BUILD DO IF i DO THEN ILL JUST BUILD A 6.5X55.

I JUST WATCHED SOME IDIOTS BID A CHOATE STOCK ON EBAY UP $25 OVER A NEW PRICE FROM MIDWAY LOL . I WAS HOPING FOR A $35 DEAL BUT IT SKY ROCKETED.

THERE ARE SOME REALLY NICE LOOKIG LAMINATED STOCKS OUT THERE BUT I WANT LIGHT WEIGHT FOR THIS BUILD .

MY FIRST STEP IS TO SEE IF i CAN GET THE BARREL OFF WITH OUT WRECKING THE RECIVER.

#24 ·
WTF HOW DID THOSE LAST POSTS GET THERE?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ANY WAY THE SPANISH MAUSER WAS HANDED TO MY 12 YEAR OLD SON LAST NIGHT AN I TOLD HIM WE WILL BUILD IT TOGETER.

MY PLAN IS A VERY LIGHT WEIGHT SHORT BARREL SPORTER . WE WILL SLOWELY BUILD IT . IM THINKING 18 0R 19 INCH BARREL

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A STAINLESS LIGHT WEIGHT PROFILE REMINGTON BARREL I HAVE IN 260 REMINGTON. I MIGHT JUST LOAD IT LIGHT TO 6.5X55 PRESSURES AN LEAVE THE CHAMBER AS IS. IM ALSO LOOKING FOR LIGHT RECOAL AS WELL AN THE 6.5 WOULD BE A GOOD CALIBUR WIOTH BETTER THAN 243 ENERGY AN BETTTER BC. I HAVE A BUNCH OF 7.62X51 NATO LAKE CITY BRASS THAT CAN BE NECKED DOWN TO FIT THIS . MY MAIN FEAR IS GETTING A HOT LOAD IN IT BY ACCIDENT .

IM ALSO LOOKING AT 6.5X55 SWEDE WILD CAT THAT USES A SHORTEND 6.5X55 CHAMBER AN THEN SHORTEND DIES TO TO ALLOW YOU TO USE 308 PARRENT BRASS. I WOULD LIKE A CHAMBER THATR WILL NOT ALLOW HIGH PRESUSSURE FACTORY LOAD TO CHAMBER BUT WILL ALLOW ME TO USE 7.62 NATO BRASS AS THE PARRENT CASE. i HAVE 100 ROUNDS OF 7.62 PRIMED NATO BRASS SO ID LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USE IT IN THIS GUN. PROBLEM IS 243, 260, 7MM-08 308 , 588 WIN ARE ALL TO HOT IMO FOR THIS ACTION ESPECIALY WITH MY SON SHOOTING IT.

IM ALSO LOOKING AT POSSABLY USING TRIMMED 260 DIES AN A SHORTER CHAMBER OR MOVING THE NECK FORWARD OR BACK TO PREVENT MIX UPS THE PROBLEM IS THE AMMO THAT IS SHORT WOULD BE BAD IN A STANDARD CHAMBER DUE TO EXCESSIVE HEAD SPACE. THEN AGAIN I DONT HAVE 260 RIGHT NOW TO PUT THEM IN.

IS THERE A GOOD WAY TO DYE OR COLOR BRASS?????????????????????? THIS WOULD REDUCE THE RISK OF MIX UPS.

#25 ·
Well today I started looking at what I had for barrels. I realized I have a couple 260 Remington barrels off of model 7's . for those who don't know a model 7 is a light weight version of the model 700 they weight about 6.5 Pounds with a synthetic stock.

the barrels are stainless an a pretty thin profile. I know the 260 is SAMMI rated at about 61,000 like a 308 an 243 win psi an to much for the small ring supposedly. even though for the life of me I cant find much on small ring rilfes failing a little on lugs set back. I rather have a 6.5x55 swede or a 7mm mauser for safety sake but I don't have have the reamers an don't want o buy them yet even though im building a 6.5x55 large ring as well .
my current thinking is use the 260 Remington chamber but off the breach face about
.015" an set the barrel back a the same so a standard 260 round will not chamber an then trim a set o 260 dies to match it so they will bump back the shoulder an make ammo that will fit this gun only. Ill then neck down an size lace city 308 brass to fit. I bought a bunch of primed brass so this will be a better cheaper way to shoot it vs a 6.5x55 an also I don't have a 260 so the only ammo on hand will be my custom stuff any way.
I realize I could still have a issue with my 260 short round finding its way into a standard 260 an chamber an have excsssive head space . Id rather have a light load on heavy NATO brass go off with a extra .010 head space stronger gun than a hot 65,000 psi load go off in the small ring gun. I also run the risk of my 6.5 x55 hot loads for my large ring build really doing some damage if they got swaped if I go with a swede chamber . So for know its going to be a 260 Remington with possably the shoulder pushed back. ill likely loose a 150-200 fps witht he lighter loads but it will still out do a 6.5 Grendel by a lot an work just fine on deer an will kick a little less so it will be more fun to shoot . also going with a 260 rem on a long action will allow me to seat high BC bullets all the way out I should be almost identical to commercial USA 6.5 swede loads in performance.

Ill stamp the barrel "6.5 x 51 BIGGUN 51,000 psi MAX. I can always rechamber to a 6.5x55 swede later if I get a reamer.

Any way Im thinking if a Remington can weight in at about 6.5 pounds a small ring mauser could do a little better with the right stock.

Im looking at the Choate synthetic with a the blind magazine that doesn't use a original floor plate or trigger guard. There pretty light. Im a little worried that there only made in a military step profile barrel an my super light profile barrel might not look good in it.

I don't know if you can bead these synthetic stock like a wood one an just fill in the gaps with bedding ????????????? if not im sure some thing can be found to fill in any gaps. like a rubber beading or something.

I think Ill mill my own scope bases at least the rear as there is not a lot of stuff that fits well on these with out work any way. ill mill off the hump for the stripper clip an ill just mill the rear of the reciver flat so a flat rail/base will just screw down on it. I haven't decide if I want a one or two piece base.

im looking into maybe trying a home made carbon fiber stock but I don't want to get to carried away on a $100 gun. an I don't have a lot of time as it is

the barrel is already bought an paid for I fact I have two. ill have to turn the old threads off an rethread to a small ring mauser .

I don't expect this to be a tack driver with such a light barrel but it should shoot as good as a Remington 7 I would think.

Im thinking a black stock an a deep blued action with a stainless barrel would look pretty good.

im planning on buying a good trigger with a side safety . is there any reason I could not just trim the original safety lever off a add a screw slot tot he orginal safety stem for allowing bolt dissembley an leave it functional but just off all the time???????? I really don't want to do a bunch of bolt shroud stuff. although I see were guys mod them to direct cases away from your face if a case should rupture or a primer blows.

After this Christmas my son is now the proud owner of this father son project rifle. an it will be his deer gun for the next few years. . The 6.5 caliber will also allow me to load some lighter load varmint rounds with light bullets . so it might see some light duty prairie dog shooting as well. I need to get this kid shooting more.

Im hoping my smith friend can get the barrel off this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.