Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1916 SPANISH MAUSER

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 1916 SPANISH MAUSER

WELL IM THE PROUD OWNER IF A 1916 SMALL RING MAUSER MADE IN 1931. THE BARREL IS ROUGH WITH MUCH OF THE THROAT AN BEGINING RIFLEING IN IN BAD SHAPE. THE STOCK IS CRACKED AN THE BARREL BAND IS WRONG WERE THE SLING GOES. ITS STILL IN 7MM MAUSER BUT WOTH THE BAD BARREL IT REALLY DOSENT MATTER. IT ALSO MISSING THE EJECTER . THE RECIVER IS FAIRLY DECEN WITH ONLY LIGHT PITTING UNDER THE WOOD LINE. I GAVE A GUY $70 FOR IT HOPING THE BARREL WOULD BE USABLE. ITS A SMALL RING SIMULAR A 94 IM READING BUT WITH A GAS PORT ON IN THE RECIVER SIDE A BENT BOLT ( WONT CLEAR A A SCOPE ) AN A CUT OUT FOR YOUR FINGERS ON THE LH SIDE. IT HAS A 22" BARREL FACTORY . IT A NEAT LITTEL GUN ID NOT MESS WITH IT IF IT WASENT IN SUCH BAD SHAPE.

IM THINKING OF REBARRELING IT TO A LOW PRESSURE ROUND FOR SAFTEY REASON AN MAKE A LIGHT WEIGHT SPORTER. 6MM-250 ( LOADED LIGHT) 6.5X55, 7MM MAUSER , 257 ROBERTS, 300 SAVAGE AN 35 REMINGTON ARE ON MY SHORT LIST OF IDEAS. IM THINKING MY SON CAN USE IT ON DEER FOR A FEW YEARS. THE 7MM MAUSER IT CURRENTLY IS WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT IF THE BARREL WAS NOT SO BAD.

ITS MY UNDERSTANDING A REMINGTON 700 TAKE OFF CAN BE TURNED AN RETHREADED WITH OUT RECHAMBERING. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE????

IF SO I HAVE A BUNCH OF BARRELS . ID LOVE TO DO A 243 OR 6MM REMINGTON AN LOAD LIGHT BUT ID BE AFRAID TO ACCIDENTALY SWAP IN A HOT ROUND. I HAVE A MINT SS 260 REMINGTON BARREL HERE I COULD MACHINE TO FIT AN MAYBE RECHAMBER IT TO 6.5X55 ITS A LIGHT WEIGHT PROFILE . IM BUILDING A LARGE RING 6.5X55 SO ID HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR MIXING ROUNDS.

I HAVE ALSO CONSIDERED A WILD CAT OF SOME SORT BUT I REALY DONT WANT TO GET TO CARRIED AWAY ON A $70 GUN. A RIMMLESS 444 MARLIN CAME TO MIND. MAYBE A 260 OR 243 REMINGTON WITH A SHORTENED CHAMBER AN THE DIES TRIMMED SO THE SHOULDER IS PUSHED BACK, THAT WAY A STANDARD ROUND WOULD NOT CHAMBER ONLY ISSUE IS THEN THEY WOULD HAVE EXCESSIVE HEAD SPACE IN A STANDARD CHAMBER. HMM MAYBE JUST SOME NICKLE PLATED BRASS TO MAKE IT EASY TO SEE. HMMMMM

IM THINKING NEW SPORTER STOCK , TRIGGER , SCOPE , BARREL AN A LOT OF POLISHING METAL AN BEING ABLE SHOOT OFF THE SHELF ROUNDS IF NEEDED WOULD BE THE KISS PLAN.

I DONT WANT A 7.62X39 ITS TO LIGHT FOR MY NEEDS.

ILL POST PICS SOON I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 6.5X55 SWEDE ACTION ALREADY TO SHOOT. I HOPE I CAN MAKE THESE BARREL THREADS ON MY LATHE. I SEE THERE ARE SOME ADAMS AN BENETTE BARRELS AT MID WAY FOR UNDER $100.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Probably not a good choice if your son want's to hunt deer with it, But I have always wanted to build something in .22-250

Feedback Score

I've got a couple of Winchesters chambered for .25-06. It seems to me that they perform better than a .243 and have plenty enough power for deer. Also, the price per round won't break the bank. The recoil won't break old worn out shoulders,either.
    I know that I'm getting over my head if I get in a discussion like this but I really like that cartridge. I notice that not many folks deal with it and kind of wonder why not?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Good deal 1biggun, now ya got something to work with. It's getting so there harder to find now days. I'm glad I've got the 10 or so Mausers I do have. All of you already know I'm a huge Mauser fan anyhow.

Just careful on the pressures on the Spanish actions, there the weakest of the Mauser actions, seen a couple go up in smoke in my days by people pushing the limits to much with them.

I saw a SWEAT 6.5x55 Sweed the other day in a local gun shop that a guy was thinking about getting from one of his friends, he was there to get an idea what it was worth. This was a nice one too 98% original bluing, all matching, but the stock had been refinished,, the only down side.

I told him if he didn't buy it,,,, I SURE WOULD!!! It was a beatuy.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I've still got one more large ring receiver that I need to do something with. I just don't know what yet. I really hate to add another caliber to my collection, but how many .308 or 30-06 can I justify owning?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Brownells has some of their own brand large ring barrels for short money.

High Quality, Value Priced, Ready To Install

At last! Factory grade, ready-to-install, 4140 chrome moly barrels in popular calibers at a price that puts a custom-built sporter on a Mauser 98 action within everyone’s reach. Compact, 24" length is great for fast-handling hunting rifles. Stress-relieved, button-rifled, right-hand twist barrels are short chambered, crowned, and fully threaded. All you have to do is finish chambering, set the headspace, and polish and blue the exterior.

SHORT CHAMBERED MAUSER BARREL | Brownells

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

7MM Mauser is a perfect caliber. It will bring down any game in the USA, and was used for elephant for many years in Africa.

I sold a 93 Mauser Carbine in 7MM to a fellow worker years ago. After the next deer season, I asked if he had any luck with it. Turns out he killed three deer as fast as he could pull the trigger and work the bolt.

When I asked if he would sale it back to me, he said "not a chance".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I ALREADY HAVE A 7MM MAUSER SPORTER WITH A SHILEN BARREL ON A 98 LARGE RING ACTION. ITS A REAT GUN THE MEDIUM SPORTER BARREL MAKES IT A LITTLE TO HEAVY FOR MY TASTES . ITS A GREAT SHOOTER WITH FULL PRESSURE LOADS. SIOME DAY IM GOING TO LOAD UP SOME VLDS AN SEE HOW IT WORKS AT LONG DISTANCE.

IM WORKING WITH A SMALL RING ACTION HERE HOW EVER AN THE 25-06 , 308, 30-06 , 243, 260, 7MM08 ARE REALLY ALL MUCH HIGHER PRESSURE ROUNDS.

I HAVE SEEN ALL KINDS OF TALK OF THE SPANISH AN OTHER SMALL RINGS BLOWING UP BUT I HARDLEY CAN FIND ANY ACTUAL PROOF . THERE A TON OF DISCUSSION ON THE 7.62 CONVERSIONS THAT A LOT OF THE 1916,S ENDED UP BEING BUT LITTLE PROOF OF A KABOM . LOTS OF TALK ABOUT BOLTS SETTING BACK.

MY KID IS GOING TO HAVE HIS FACE NECT TO THIS SO THE PRESSURES WILL AT OR BELOW WHAT EVER THE ORIGINAL 7MM MUASER ROUND IS SPECKED OUT.

YES I THINK THE 7 MAUSER IS A GREAT ROUND ITS BETTER ON DEER THAN A 243 AN EVEN A 260 REMINGTON AT CLOSE RANGE AN WILL BEAT A 7MM-08 IF LOADED UP IN A STRONG ACTION.

IM THINKING IN A GUN AS LIGHT AT I WANT TO BUILD THIS THAT 6.5X55 AN 7 MAUSER ARE LEADING THE LIST FOLLOWED BY A 257 ROBERTS

I NEED TO CHECK THE PRESSURE ON THE 257. THE 257 WAS AT ONE TIME IN THE TOP 5 BEST DEER RIFLES ACCORDING TO THE MAGAZINES . MY MOM AN AUNT HAVE KILLED A LOT OF DEER WITH HERS. A 300 SAVAGE IS A GOOD CHOICE AS WELL BUT THE RECOIL STARTS GOING UP AS WELL . I KIND OF WNAT TO KEEP IT SIMPLE AN BE ABLE TO SELL IT KNOWING A FACTORY LOAD WILL NO BLOW IT UP.

22-250 IS A GREAT ROUND BUT WITH A 65,000 PSI SAMMI MAX AN GUYS OFTEN EXCEDING THAT ITS A POOR CHOICE FOR A SMALLR ING ACCORDING TO WHAT IM READING. ( UNDER STAND I NOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THESE BUT LEARNING FAST)

IM WORKING ON A 6MM BR VARIANT THAT WOULD BE FUN IN IT ALSO BUT AGAIN THAT ROUND NEEDS HIGH PRESSURE THE GET THE MOST OUT OF IT.

IM GOING TO COLLECT PARTS AN WHEN I GOT ALL OF THEM ILL BUILD IT . I STILL HAVE THE GERMAN GEW 98 TO PUT A SHULTS AN LARSEN BARREL ON FIRST AS WELL AS A STAINLESS RUGER 77 in 22-250 WITH A COMPLELTY SHOT OUT HEAVY BULL BARREL THATS AS ABOUT AS CLOST TO BENCH REST AS A RUGER CAN GET THAT NEEDS A BARREL. IM GOING TO DO A 6MM BRX ON IT AN TRY IT IN A MATCH OR TO MAYBE . THE GUN HAS WON A FEW EVENTS BUY THE PREVIOUS OWNER. ITS IS SUSPOSEDLY ONE OF THE MOST ACCURATE RUGERS EVER BUILD ( YEA IM DOUBT FULL EITHER BUT THERE IS SOME SERIOUS WORK DONE TO IT SO WE WILL SEE)

WAY TO MANY PROJECTS.

Feedback Score

7x57 will be fine IMHO. I have heard the 1916 was weak and would blow up with 308 Winchester ammo. I could find no reports of failure on the net.

I would look for a new original barrel but it might be cheaper to just get an after market fitted. An after market might be best if you want to build a lightweight.

SAMCO in Miami FL used to sell these and may have barrels.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

springfield sporters may have barrels, sarco may also, but they always sell junk

nothing wrong with 7x57mm
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.