Gunco Forums banner

mosin nagant 91/30 with russian PU scope. is $400 worth it?

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
this dude at the gun shop i work at wants to sell me a russian mosin nagant 91/30 with a russian PU scope. the scope is bought of gun broker by some russian dude and machine mounted by the guy selling it. The gun simply isnt original with the scope but he insists $400 for it. i want to talk him down to $300 cause he is a pushover about some guns. what do you guys think? is it worth $400 for a frigin mosin? or even $300 when i can get a mosin for 90 bucks without a scope. i can understand if the gun came originaly as a sniper rifle or something from russia, but it is not and the mosin is in fair condition. the gun metal is fine but stock is old and surplus worn. i just dont wanna buy this thing and regret i spent so much on one of the most abundant rifles in the world. the scope runs 200 or so but it is alil worn. decisions, decisions!

#2 ·
my advice never buy junk

standard mosin and machined for the scope!!!! don't walk run

its not worth the is not worth $90, though the scope maybe worth $200 is the scope original is the mount original, if not its all junk
save your money

#4 ·
$300-400 is the basic price range for a fake Mosin sniper, as mentioned the rifles are about 100, the scope & mount is about 200, so your also paying for the labor to mount it, so that explains the price range.
But the main thing is the bore, if it looks rough or is counter bored don't even make an offer, just walk away.

If the scope is mark "made in russia" it's a repro scope, but that's not a bad thing, it's just a newer made scope and they are supposed to be made on old Russian tooling.

Also the rifle year range makes it look better if the rifle fits in that style
PE - 1932-1936 (PE is focus adjustable)
PEM 1936-1940, 1942 for a short time
PU - 1942-1947

#8 ·
he won't he is looking for someone who doesn't know any better, and hoping that was you

repro scope!!! machined receiver!! this is not worth it at any price no resale value

there are so many nice rifles out there heck allans armoury has east german marked mosins for $200 or get a stock rifle mis-matching triggerguard for shooter for $ 90 plus

#9 ·
YOUR INTENDED USE SHOULD DICTATE WHAT YOU BUY. DO YOU HAVE A NEED FOR A MOSIN WITH A VERY OLD DESIGN SCOPE????? IF ITS FOR COLLECTING ITS NOT CORRECT. IF ITS FOR HUNING ITS NOT VERY GOOD FOR IT . IF ITS FOR TARGET THERE ARE A LOT BETTER CHOICES . THE GUNS NOT GREAT AT ANY THING AN ITS NOT A COLLECTIABLE PIECE. THE SCOPE AN MOUNT ARE NOT THAT GREAT EITHER. IF YOU GOING TO BUY A MOSIN TO SHOT OR ACTUALY USE BUT A GOOD SCOPE ON IT AN BUY A MOSIN THAT IN GOOD SHAPE TO START WITH.

PERSONALY THE M44 AN THE OTHER SHORT BARRELD VARIANTS ARE THE WAY TO GO. THEY HANDEL WELL AN ARE NOT 10 FEET LONG.

#11 ·
dude sprat, it looks identical to those rgun mosins haha and hes including 2 bolts, the angled down one and a straight one, id NEVER spend 800 on a mosin, even if it was legit.

this dude can get talked down so easy tho he sold me an amd 65 parts kit with nodak reciever for $300 a couple months ago. he knows me quite well and knows i love aks and russian crap its worth a try tho. if not ill buy a new mosin for 100 bucks. i sold my russian m44 for $200 so i could buy his mosin with scope. honestly guys i just want it to have it. i love the pu scopes and that look. you dont come across stuff like this all the time in Cali. thats the thing, guys in other states are like wtf is this guy thinking? wanting to buy a mosin with pu scope, but seriously....we dont come across very many cool guns here. but yes he probabaly is trying to get a sucker to buy his guns. may just pass this thing up

#12 ·
look not trying to put you or anyone down, if anything I am trying to open your eyes
I understand you live in a restricted state, but I only buy the good stuff or if I do buy a ratty rifle its cause I am going to rebuild it and if i do buy it its cause its cheap, other wise why bother. when I get tired of it, I can't get my money back, with me its getting my money back. Unless its a kit build thats a different story, that me using my talents to recreate something verse buying it off the shelf.
if i go through a dealer its got to have re-sale 5-10 years later or its not worth it to ME!!!!!
we have a member here, who buys all kinds of stuff I would look at and walk and then run from, but he wants it that way, his money his time and effort to get rid of the stuff.

the market is flood with mosins right now and a M-44 is better than a 91 more versatile

another note: if those R-Guns Mosin snipers were real and correct and they were $800.00 and I wanted one I would buy one in a heartbeat as they will only go up in value. if they are mis-matched original sniper rifles and original scopes with different scope serial numbers I would pass

going to a gun tomorrow night it will be interesting to see whats on the tables
sprat

#13 ·
Armaliteno I don't think anyone is trying to give you a hard time, but give you many options to keep you thinking, and we don't want to see you buy a piece of crap or spend too much on it.
There's nothing wrong with wanting one of these, I got one but I held out for almost a year to find the one I wanted, it had to fall into the right years and have the right markings on the rifle, yes it has a reproduction scope & mount but they're as close to correct as they should be without spending about 1k for it.

if they are mis-matched original sniper rifles and original scopes with different scope serial numbers I would pass
Actually if the scope's serial number matches the gun's number you should pass, the scopes were made in a different factory and never matched the gun.

#14 ·
wait what? i dont even feel like someones giving a hard time. im just saying i understand where u guys are comming from. i feel you guys are helping me if anything. dont know where the vibe is comming from but i dont feel this way whatsoever to just clarify. no hard time or anything given

#16 ·
#18 ·
ADDING A $200 REPRO SCOPE TO A $99 RILFE DOES NOT MAKE IT WORTH $400.

IF THE GUN IS NOT IN GREAT SHAPE DONT BUY IT. ALL YOU WILL HAVE IS A POOR GRADE GUN WITH A SCOPE MOUNTED ON IT. INSTALLING A NON ORIGINAL SCOPE AN DRILLING THE RECIVER ACTUALY WILL DEVALUE THE GUN. IT WILL BE A $99 GUN WITH A ALTERED RECIVER. IF YOU CAN GET IT CHEAP AN MOREIMPORTANTLY YOU LIKE IT THEN GREAT. I DONT BUY FOR INVESTMENT MOST OF MY GUNS WILL NEVER BE SOLD. I LOOK FOR GOOD DEALS AN IF I LIME IT I BUY IT.

#20 ·
IF YOU LIKE THE GUN A THE SCOPE IS GOOD AN INSTALLED PROPERLY ID SAY YOUR LOOKING AT A $300 GUN IF THE BORE IS OK IF ITS NOT BUY A GOOD RILF ENA BUILD YOUR OWN WITH A DIFFERANT SCOPE. THAT SCOPE IS LIKELY A REPRODUCTION IF SOME HAD A REEAL ONE I DOYBT THEY WOULD PUT IT ON A BAD OR WRONG SERIAL NUMBER / YEAR RIFEL.

IMO THERE A LOT OF OTHER GUNS AN MAGS AN AMMO A GUYS SHOULD BE BUYING RIGHT NOW BEFORE BOLT ACTION STUFF THAT WILL STILL BE LEGAL INA FEW MONTHS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.