Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mauser Recommendations

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default Mauser Recommendations

I'm thinking about getting a surplus 8mm Mauser and was wondering if theres anything specific that I should look for, or stay away from. Local Gun show tomorrow, which I know will be overpriced, but the wife and I are going after work.

She needs a new 9mm semi auto DA/SA with rail. I was going to get her a Baby Eagle Series 2 Polymer semi-compact, but I can't find one anywhere. Not even on GB. Figured maybe theres a slim chance that we'll find one at the Fun Show, or at least something else that she likes as much as the Baby Eagle.

I'm also looking for a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60 .22LR. I loved the Marlin when I was younger, and the Model 60 was my first rifle ever. I've owned a few over the years, but I haven't had one since the late 90's. Time for another. Everyone keeps telling me to get the Ruger though, because of the aftermarket support. I guess it will come down to if I find a decent deal on one or the other.

Sorry, I'm kind of rambling. Any advice on the Mauser would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

the k98 they're getting hard to find & when u do there around 350 & higher.

but if looking for a good shooter in 8mm i'd look at the yugo mauser's the
    m24 with straight bolt runs bout 200 to 275 depending on condition.

and the yugo m48 with a bent bolt they're bout 250 to 350 but these are getting a little hard to find
    buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

rumour has it stay away from the spanish m-43 series rifles marked la Corona, the steel maybe soft, but I have one and its solid I only shoot reloaded hunting loads out of her, but shot tons of surplus
    mis-matched bolts is what should concern you, plus a look down the barrel, the lands and grooves should be clean
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Diablo, Yeah I was thinking specifically about the Yugo. The prices seem to be reasonable, and I love all things Yugo when it comes to firearms.

Thanks for the warning Sprat. I was planning on giving any one I was interested in a thorough inspection.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I like the Yugo firearms also & have been buying a bunch of books from this fellow:
    buyitsafe4 | eBay

Can't read yet, but the pics are cool!! Heh..Heh
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ID GET THE RUGER 10-22 THERE IS JSUT SO MUCH MORE YOU CAN GET FOR THEM ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY. THERE LIKELY A BETTER SHOOTER AS WELL. I HAVE 5. I HAD A MARLIN AN IT WAS FINE BUT NOTHING REALLY GAVE IT A EDGE OVER THE RUGER . THE RUGER WILL HOLD ITS VALUE BETTER AS THERE ALWAYS SOUGHT AFTER AS YOU HAVE LIKELY NOTICED.

WHAT OTHER GUN CAN YOU BUY A TARGET BARREL FOR AN INSTALL IT IN UNDER 20 MINUTES FOR AROUND $100?????? AN THEN HAVE A CHIOCE OF 50 DIFFERANT STOCKS TO GO WITH IT ???? IF THE RIUGER BREAKES THERE ARE AFTERMARKET UPGRADES FOR EVERY KNOWN ISSUE THE RUGER COULD HAVE.

ON THE MAUSERS ITS WHAT YOU FIND ON THE RACK OR INTHE ADDS.

I RECENTLY GOT A GERMAN GEW 98 FOR $175 THAT WAS BUBBA'D BUT HAS A GOOD BORE AN A SPANISH SMALL RINF FOR $75 THAT IS SHOOTABLE BUT HAS EROSIOAN AFTER THE THROAT IN 7 MAUSER. THERE ARE GOOD DEALS OUT THERE. YOU SEE SOME SPORTERS GO FOR A DCENT PRICE IF YOUR NOT STUCK ON A ORIGINAL THEN A SPORTER IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU WANT TO ADD A SCOPE AN ALL THE BECAUSE THERE AALREADY RUINED AS COLLECTORS .

TWO YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A NICE LARGE RING PERUVIAN MAUSER CARBINE CALIBURE UNKNOWN WITH A SCOPE BASES INSTALLED AN A BENT HANDEL . TUNRED OUT OT BE A 30-06 AN THE FACTORY HANDEL CLEARS A WEAVER 3X SCOPE JUST FINE, I GAVE $100 FOR IT. IT SHOOTS GREAT . THE OLD WEAVER 3X GIVES IT A SORT OF OLD SCHOOL SNIPER LOOK AN LOOKS ALMOST CORRECT ON IT . MY KID SHOOTS VERY LIGHT PLINKER LOADS OUT OF IT ALL THE TIME .

MY ADVICE ON MAUSERS IS THEY FIND YOU THE HARDER YOU LOOK THE HARDER THEY SEEM TO BE TO FIND. START BY ASKIG AROUND AT GUN CLUBS AN RANGES AN WHAT NOT THERE ARE 1000,S OF THESE IN CLOSETS AN IN GARAGES. WHEN YOU GO TO A GARAGE SALE ASK DO YOU HAVE ANY GUNS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SELL. MY BUDDY FINDS GUNS ALL THE TIME THIS WAY. GARAGE SALES LET YOU GET TO INVADE SOME ONES SPACE WHO LIKELY NEEDS MONEY OR IS AT LEAST OPEN TO SELLING STUFF AN ASK A NONTHREATIG QUESTION . THE WORT THEY CAN SAY IS NO. MY BUDDY SCORED A NICE OLD SPRINGFILED IN 45-70 THIS WAY.

MY ARGENTUNES CAME FROM A GUNSMITH WHO WORKED AT GANDER MOUTAIN WHO WAS UP IN YEARS AN LIKED TO TALK ( TO THE ANOYMENT OF MANAGMENT ) I USED TO SAY HI TO HIM EVERY NOW AN THEN AN TALK VARMINT RIFLES. I TOLD HIM I WANTED A MAUSER TO BUILD HE SAID COME BACK TOMORROW , I DID AN HE HAD A NICE PAIR OF UNMOLESTED ARGINTINES . I GAVE HIM WHAT HE WANTED WELL BELOW WHAT HE GOULD HAVE HAD GANDER MTN SOLD THEM FOR. I ASKED IF HE WOULD REBARREL ONE AN HE SAID IF HE EVER GOT CAUGHT UP IT WOULD BE A WHILE . I GOT THEM HOME RELIZED WHAT I HAD . I WENT BACK A FEW MONTHS LATER TO THANK HIM AN SEE IF HE WANTED TO PULL THE BARREL ON ONE AN FOUND OUT HE HAD DIED FROM CANCER . I THINK HE LIKED ME AN APRECIATED MY INTREST IN HIS 20-250 WILDCATS THAT HE BASICALY SOLD THEM TO ME FOR WHAT HE PAID. HE HAD CANCER FOR TWO YEARS AN NO ONE KNEW. THANKFULLY I NEVER SPORTED THEM OUT . THERE ARE MAUSERS EVERY WERE JUST HAVE TO LOOK .

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the input on both the 22 and the Mauser.

You know I never thought about the garage sale idea. That would be a cool way to find firearm deals. Especially now, because the public at large has been so scared by the recent events, they probably want to get guns out of their house. Grandpa's Garand that they got when he died, and now they're scared of it. LOL.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Most all Mausers other than the Spanish 308's are good IMO, it's all about condition and your use. Some dandy sporters have been surfacing lately and some originals too,, keep a good eye out and ask everyone about old guns. You'd be surprised,, I got a pristine pre import stamped Turk Mauser complete with the original paper wrapper on it and plenty traces of cosmoline still on it for 75 bucks,, YES 75 !!!! Just by asking around. I'd been looking for one like that for one of my c&r collector buds forever, there wan't even a ding in the stock, absolutely perfect condition,, he really loves me now, that was the only "pristine" Mauser model he didn't have in his collection of every model ever made. Out of the hundreds he has, you won't find a single flaw on anything he has and none have been restored. He has the most premo quality Mausers I've ever seen. Hell he even has one of the "tank guns" built by Mauser, only one I'd ever seen other than in pictures.

This guy is crazy about Mausers and has them all,, literally,, rifles and pistols and even some factory test/experimental and "one off" models He can also tell you every spec for every Mauser ever made,,, off the top of his head,,, he's an amazing man. I'd also sold him a pristine 11mm Mauser years ago which he still has in his collection. He has his entire cellar set up as a gun vault with floor to ceiling glass cases all with a climate control system,,nice brass plaques near each gun attached to the mahogany racks there on,, it's a regular museum. I go ga ga every time I see it,, he even makes you put on cotton gloves to handle the guns and books. He's got all the proper accessories and books and anything else you could possibly think of that go's with them too. It's unbelievable how extensive his collection is.

He says he's going to publish a book some day but then,,,,he's been saying that for years, I wish he would, he's a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Long story short,, any model Mauser's a good one IMO,, but I'm prejudiced!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Are you looking for a stock military configuration or a sporter/sporter project?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default 2nd yes..

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Thanks Bob. I appreciate the input on both the 22 and the Mauser.

You know I never thought about the garage sale idea. That would be a cool way to find firearm deals. Especially now, because the public at large has been so scared by the recent events, they probably want to get guns out of their house. Grandpa's Garand that they got when he died, and now they're scared of it. LOL.
    Telling yah, my Bro here in our small town ran an add in the small local paper.
    "Always buying guns."
    If "face too face" sales are legal where you are..
    He is stopping by here a few times a week with guns he is buying..
    He is not into cheating the people he is dealing with. But their are folks out there spotting the add, with guns sitting in their closet they want to get rid of.
    Go too the yard sales and ask. Lot of people do not put the guns out..
    "Do you have any guns for sale or would like to get rid of?"
    Well Grandpa brought this old gun back from WWII. Think it is German, he said it was a Luger or something I think. Been sitting here for years, does $50 sound fair..
    Well let me think about that. Oh o.k. I will take it..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.