Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question on a .308 barrel

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Question on a .308 barrel

So i have this Yugo M48BO that I am in the process of re-working. Im looking at barrels right now, and want a .308 on it instead of a 8mm. ran across these guys and an "adjustable headspace barrel". not sure what to make of it. Any opinions?

Rhineland arms

My first choice is a k98 replacement in .308/7.62x51 from Coles Distributing. I really want a .308 barrel with the military contours. Barring them, im looking at midway for a .308 replacement.

Just curious what the opinions on the adjustable headspace barrel is. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

For those without a lathe, it allows you to install your own bbl. Also, with spare bbls in different calibers, one could easily swap bbls with a proper headspace gauge for each caliber.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

"The barrels have full length chambers and use a lock ring to adjust headspace. "

I assume we are talking about a large ring here? I have no idea what kind of a lock ring device they are talking about. The factory barrel is threaded into the receiver. If you don't have a lathe, your best bet is to buy a short chambered barrel and finish ream.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

What about the reliability of it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Should be fine... I think they are loosely similar to a FAL barrel that you use those real thin washers to set headspace. Although looking at the pics the threaded area is longer for lock ring. The ring is going to be just in front of the receiver so fitting with whatever stock / handguard / gastube gizmos might be in the way and require additional fitting. Arguably a small problem however.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

As I understand it the barrel is supposed to tighten on the in a ring inside the receiver on a Mauser. A lock ring set up would tighten down on the face of the reciver. Id want some feed back on the Rhinelander set up before on how they shoot. the price is pretty cheap so id suspect the blank it is made from is not the best.

Remington and other rifles the barrel tighten down on the end of the receiver. I'm not sure a barrel nut set up on a Mauser receiver is ideal ? I emailed Rhinelander arms a few weeks ago about the possibility of just buying a small ring Mauser barrel nut I have not heard back.

Somebody must make a military step Barrel in 308.

edit
    If I was looking for a military step replacement id consider this one if I had the cash
    Lothar Walther

my understanding is Wilson barrels used to sell a 308 mil step barrel sold by brownels I see browlnels has discontinued them no back order.

there were a few mausers converted to 7.62x51. the Peruvians had a few, Spanish fr8, iim sure there were others. many countries rebarrled to them. you might find one some were .

I have been thinking of trying to make my own small ring set up with a barrel nut . mainly so it can be a easy switch barrel.

I
    Last edited by 1biggun; 02-17-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Those coles barrels look like a good deal . screw it on rent a reamer to head space it an have fun. hopefully they will match your stock an parts.

it would cost you about $35 more to go with the coiles set up an if there as advertised you likely have a better barrel an your stock might fit.

that rinlander set up is going to need work to fit . if you go tto do all that you might as well by a sporter barrel an a sporter stock.

I admit the rinelader set up is intriguing. they need to offer a 22-250 / 308 combo set for doing a switch barrel set up or maybe a 358 win option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Look at the pic of it, they are using the Savage system. The bbl is screwed in as far as it will go and a headspace GO gauge is inserted. The bbl is backed out until the bolt locks, then the lockring threaded onto the bbl OD is tightened against the face of the receiver to secure it. If the receiver face is true, it should work fine although the factory Mausers were butted up against the inner stop ring of the receiver. Since we are talking probably a fraction of a turn between seated and proper headspace, I don't think there will be any problems.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Posthumous View Post
    So i have this Yugo M48BO that I am in the process of re-working. Im looking at barrels right now, and want a .308 on it instead of a 8mm. ran across these guys and an "adjustable headspace barrel". not sure what to make of it. Any opinions?

Rhineland arms

My first choice is a k98 replacement in .308/7.62x51 from Coles Distributing. I really want a .308 barrel with the military contours. Barring them, im looking at midway for a .308 replacement.

Just curious what the opinions on the adjustable headspace barrel is. Thanks in advance.
    Hey Bud!

Run the other way! The Rhineland Arms solution is NOT for you!

The barrels at Coles are the way to go. I have a pull through Reamer for .308, and I have a barrel vise. JUST REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE EXTRACTOR FROM THE BOLT BEFORE YOU DO THE FINISH REAM!!!

Ask how I know that!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    ... I think they are loosely similar to a FAL barrel that you use those real thin washers to set headspace.
    They use the real thin washers (barrel shims) to adjust the timing on a FAL if it overclocks. But the headspace is set by using different sized locking shoulders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.