Gunco Forums banner

Mosin scope mount - who makes it?

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It's awful tempting to go for it with the Rock Solid version, probably the best route but that $100 price tag...
I gagged a bit on the price too. Then I looked at my box of aluminum cut-offs and the milling machine, did some quick estimates of the time it would take to make something similar... screw it. They're supposed to be back in stock later this week. I need to take that plastic tub full of pocket change down to the bank and see how much I have to add to it...

The inletting on the nice Boyd's stock is done, it's time to move on to the next step. And after that, it's scope selection time. <sigh> I've always been an iron sight fan, but I've finally had to come to terms with the fact that my eyes aren't that good any more, and even a peep sight can only do so much.

My wife is generally supportive of my gunsmithing, but she threw a fit when she found out I was going to remove the sidefolder bayonet, particularly after she found it (just barely) clears the new stock. In the interest of marital harmony, I might be the only guy at the range with a bayonet on a Mosin sporter...

#4 ·
Guy in that thread said he got it here, but you could search for that brand to see who else have them.
Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

I don't know about that BullseyeXpress Mosin Mount, I've been doing a little searching and everything I'm seeing it looks just like the Leapers' mount but the guy on eBay is charging like 3x the amount for it?
Do a search on YouTube, there's a lot of people posting about it.

Also read this just in case you didn't notice it.
"... M44's and M38's do NOT have a 3/8" dovetail that the rear sight sits on"

#6 ·
#8 ·
How much fitting did you have to do on the Boyd's stock? I REEEEEALLY want one just like your thumbhole version, but I just have a few more things to get on other projects before I get back to the Bubberized Mosin buildup... Actually the one I'm going to use for the Boyd's stock is pre-Bubberized anyway, with the forearm actually tastefully chopped off and the barrel shortened some 6" or so already, so I don't really have to get in any rush to get it to shootable condition. It already barks loud and belches fire at will! :)

#10 ·
Mine needed widening just a hair at the back of the receiver, and cutting the back of the recoil lug pocket a bit to let the receiver slide back so the tang had an even gap around its cutout.

The laminated wood cut very easily. I was worried that it would be hard to work with, but it was fairly soft and the blade went straight instead of trying to follow a grain.

#11 ·
The Rock Solid scope mount showed up. It's a substantially beefier piece than the pictures imply. The only problem is the large CNC'd advertising on the side. Not as bad as the Texas Weapons System AK scope mount, but big enough that "fill it with Bondo and then Duracoat it" just went on the Mosin to-do list.

Next step is to order a new firing pin and cocking piece. I'm going to skeletonize them to reduce the lock time, and discard the safety knob entirely, which will mean coming up with some other safety arrangement.

Purchasing the scope has moved further down the list. I'm still sussing out all the reticle and focal plane stuff, and it looks like a decent stop will be twice as expensive as any other single part, including "rifle, one each."

#12 ·
The Timney trigger has an integrated safety in it. A bit pricey, but much better trigger.

You won't get far on skeletonizing the firing pin - there's nothing to skeletonize once you unscrew it out of the bolt assembly, unless you drill really small holes.

#13 ·
There's a You-Tube vid on that scope mount instillation, as I recall the original site base had to be modified a little to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.