Thread: Make your own "Scout" rifle.

Feedback Score

Default Modify Howa firearms to use 10 rounds mags.

In 2010 Ruger introduced a rifle that they call “the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.” This is an interesting little .308 caliber carbine that has a lot of appeal. I am not going to discuss it too much here. There has been a lot written about it on various websites. This gun has a Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $995. The street price will probably be around $750 to $850. This price does NOT include a scope.
    The purpose of this post is to offer an alternative to the Ruger Scout rifle.
    The Japanese firm of Howa makes fine rifles. Not only have these guns been sold under Howa’s own name, but also Weatherby Vanguards are also Howas. In the past S&W and Mossberg (M-1500) have been made by Howa. So, there are probably plenty of these rifles around.
    In the September 19, 2012 issue of Shotgun News, on page 19 under the title of “New Products” is a blurb about a new product for Howa rifles. This product is a conversion kit that fits the above listed rifles. It allows you to use detachable 5 and 10 round magazines in these rifles. It is manufactured by ATI gunstocks.com. There are videos on youtube showing how to do this conversion.
    Where I do most of my shopping, the Weatherby Vanguard sells for around $400. A good scope (Leupold or Nikon-no cheapies, please) and mounts would cost $200 to $300 and up. This would mean that you could get a home made “Scout Gun” for $600 to $700 (or more if you want to pay for a really good scope-some of them cost more than $1,000!) You would have a rifle with a longer barrel (The Scout has 16 inches-too short in my opinion) and detachable 5 and 10 round magazines (just like the Scout). Howas do not come with iron sights, but I believe that a gunsmith could install them fairly easily (if you want them-I do!) and you would still be way under the cost of the Ruger.
    Another plus is that EVERY Weatherby Rifle is guaranteed to shoot 3 shot groups into 1.5 inches at 100 yards (using good quality ammo).
    So, you would end up with your own Scout rifle (in your choice of caliber) including a scope for less than the Ruger product. You might want to check it out.
    Last edited by dario541; 04-29-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: change title

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

FR-8. Even with a mount and decent glass still a bargain.
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

OK, for some reason every time I hit Post, it doubles.
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 04-28-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: doubled
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

you are new here we have a very long and detailed thread on this subjuct not even two months old

proves you are trying to raise you post count and not doing research before you post
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

I apologize for not finding the thread you mentioned. I just found that there is a search tab. As far as posting goes, I have no reason to build up a count. I just enjoy writing and discussing firearms with others. If I'm not wanted here there are plenty of other forums. So far it has been good here without people making accusations. I will probably never even come close to your post count of 2,442.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.