Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mosin accuracy?

Feedback Score

A mosin is next on my list of awesome russian firearms. My buddy picked up a laminated one for $140 over the summer. I was hitting pieces of clay pigeon on the hillside at 100yards by the end of our session. I blame that on my AK and Tok. I really dont like those damn sights but at least they were consistent with them(helping me be consistent shooting with them)
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I cut my teeth on open sights and I always shot pretty good with them till my eyes got older, I can still shoot OK with them but not as good as I used to, that's for sure. The Mossin sights do leave a bit to be desired but with some practice with them most people can do pretty well. Someone will come up with a decent mount for them pretty soon considering how many there are out there. I can't wait for one to come out with something that's not a scout type, or costs all outdoors.

Whom ever does that I think will have there future set, they'll be a big demand for them I'd think.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Did you also work where the sear contacts,
    Thanks TWA, I polished the sear on the upper trigger but didn't change the angle or the mating surface on the bolt. May change the angle figuring I don't have much to lose and can always buy a new trigger if I screw it up.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You don't suppose there's something binding inside of the bolt do you,,,that's the only other possible thing I can think of,,,otherwise I'm at a loss, and that is as much of a stretch as you can get.

Shit like that bugs me too, especially on a gun that's so damn simple. It kinda makes ya question your abilities when you can't fix something so simple. Possibly something inside the bolt where the safety rides, or the safety itself may have a burr, out of round, whatever. I'm really grasping at straws here, but the only other possible things I can think of off the top of my head.

I had a 22 auto pistol one time that drove me crazy like that too and after about the 10th time tearing it down. I finally found the sear was drilled wrong where the pin went through it, the sear was drilled on a angle like it wasn't set flat when it was drilled originally so it sat at a slight angle when assembled. It drove me crazy finding that issue. Anything after the first shot and it was a crap shoot if it would fire or bind up,or sometimes it would even discharge on the slide closing,,that was scarey!! I only noticed it after I put the pin through it and noticed the pin not being perpendicular,,new sear from Numrich,,and I was golden. It DID drive me nuts though till I noticed that. Damn near wore the gun out taking it apart so many times!! GEZZZ! And that was a simple thing too,,after,, I noticed it of course!!! I felt like a dumb ass after I finally realized what it was,,Duhhhh It's pretty easy to overlook the obvious sometimes!!! We've all done it!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

i'm talking china type 52-- $99 from J&G sales-- and spam can ammo. not slug bored, matched bullets ect ect-
    Then your gon'na have to buy a few rifles and find the one that shoots the best group, sell the others Other then cleaning up the trigger
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

They don't come up for sale often, but the easiest trigger job to do on a Mosin is to buy a Finn M39 trigger and sear. Mine all have a two-stage feel where the 2nd stage breaks like glass. I bought a trigger/sear combo and put it on a Soviet 91/30 and it works a treat.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I was wondering about that sjohnson. I don't have a Finn nor really seen one apart so I wasn't sure they were the same. I'll keep an eye out for those,,you got any resources for them??? My buds got one and the trigger is real nice on his , he did polish it up and took out about 80% of the first stage travel, and that thing rivaled most decent trigger groups you can buy. Those Finn triggers are pretty decent as is anyways, for a military gun there about as nice as the Swiss 7.5's. I sure was surprised the first time I shot his,,,Missed the whole GD target frame completely by a mile,,,,WTF???? "That's light!!!!" I'm guessing he's got it around 3-3.5 lbs and smooth as hell too, no creep at all.

I've done a bunch of Mauser's and Springfield's in the past, the Mauser originals take a set screw and so much fussing around with to get them real nice, I usually just change them out for a Timney or something like that. Two seconds and you've got a decent trigger, I like simple ,effective and easy !! Timney makes them for the Moissins now too , but 89 bucks through Midway,,,it would have to be a pretty,,, DAMN SPECIAL,,, Mossin for me to spend that much on a trigger assy for one myself.

It's gotten to the point though I'm relegated to just rebuilding stuff and tinkering around with the ones I already have. Mostly just getting everything smoothed up and make each one as prefect as I can. Hell with no access to the machine shop at the marina anymore sense I got hurt, and ridiculous priced kits, or lack of,,,, I haven't built squat in years now.

Closest I've come is that 03 spoorter I redid last fall, and that was just basic, new barrel,polish everything, jewel the bolt and reblue,,nothing challenging or new, except the jeweling. When I first got on here and watched some of the builds going on I was pretty well pumped to do a AK ,Sten,a Krink or something like that that didn't require major machine work to build,,but,,POOF,,price and availability went nuts!! Kinda sucks I figured I'd just gotten enough knowledge of the proper steps and sequence to do a build and was trying to decide on just what to build. I wanted something different and unique but something most people don't have,,,and reasonable to build.

the ,,"WOW,,, NEVER SEEN ONE OF THOSE BEFORE",,, factor,, is what I been looking to build. Seems I lingered a bit to long though. Shit like that is hard to find now, plus I don't think I've really ever decided just what to hell it would be anyways?? Got to be something different though. I'd thought a Lewis at one time, but I thought that might be a bit overly ambitious for my first major semi auto build. And I'm not really into SBR's to much.

Might still do a AR upper with a nice 20" target barrel for heaver bullets, but that's more of an assembly procedure to me, not really a build,,,unless you want to go all Maul- Ninja or something.

I don't know. To me a build ain't a build till the metal chips start a flying out of the mill !! Kinda like cutting steel with fire,,,it's a guy thing I guess,,"I'm going to take this pile of stuff and build something" !!! YA!!!!

Just me.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The Finns who post on gunboards are the best source for the M39 trigger setups. Not for sale often but available from time to time on the gunboards trader subforum.

I've also done temp swaps from my M39 herd to my Soviet Mosins. Someone with a bit of metal creativity could also probably create an M39 trigger group from Soviet parts. The mods aren't difficult if you have an M39 to copy specs from. The sear IS critical to the process, I've one 91/30 with just a M39 trigger that is little better than original issue.

The Soviets also did some good trigger tuning. I have an ex-sniper that appears to have the original trigger. Very nice with a 3-4 pound pull and sweet break.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'll have to pop over there and put up a want add for one and see what happens, I've got a 44 that shoots great and I'd like to sweat-en that one up some and possibly bed the action at the same time, that should make it even better. But I don't want to change the stock configuration at all , on any of my Mossins.

Hell I got to keep out of trouble somehow,, might's well do that.

I've got probably got 8-9 trigger sets I want to do this winter anyhow, mostly on semi auto handguns. So when I get sick of all those itty bitty pieces flying all over hell, I'll take a break and slide in a Mossin to the mix to take a break. Those are very straight forward and simple and I'll just drop in the new style springs that get rid of that 1st stage flop and work what I've got first and we'll see how they are before getting to carried away.I forget who makes those trigger springs right now, but read good things about them.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

my apologies for no pics, however, this thread got the Mosin with the worst trigger out for some work.

I closed the receiver in a vice both vertically and horizontally until the he bolt would not operate, dycum surfaces and used hand files. No longer does the bolt move up and down when the trigger is pulled.

Milled a slight groove in the sear portion of the trigger spring, about 1mm from edge. It's by no means a 2 stage however the trigger pulls consistently through the first half, hits a stop, then releases. It's workable.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.