Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: "renovating" a bubba mauser

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'll get it out soon.
    Definantly not the cheapest route, and I could build a fairly nice custom for the same amount, and I know I could never sell it for what I have spent renovating it. But I wanted a represenitive peice for my collection. I have 2 late war 98k's but no early or pre-WWII 98k's. I saw where the Germans converted a number of their WWI GEW 98's to 98k specs prior to WWII and since this one was already hacked I'm not comitting any Mauser collector "sin". I'm always on the lookuot for bubbaed war rifles to restore or customize. I screwed the pooch years ago by cutting up a pristine 1909 Argentine. I blame it on youthful ignorance. (Altho it did eventually become a fine "safari" rifle in 458 win mag.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    PM sent

I love that your saving that rifle .
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry for the delay. I just ordered the front sight, upper, lower band spring. Cant really do anything till they come in.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Well thats coming together pretty darn good mtdew.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think I will stay away from trying to make it "perfect". I wouldn't want to be accused of building a fake. I'll leave that for Mitchells Mausers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Onegin View Post
    Are you going to stamp any parts to match the receiver ?
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Damn I wish I'd know you were doing one up mtdew, I've got most of the same trinket parts kicking around that you've already gathered up,,you could have had these I have banging around here had I known. Not sure if any were Spandu , but I got a mixed bag of miscellaneous Mauser parts.

Is anyone else restoring one that's keeping it on the sly? I may have something someone can use. And for free too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Kinda lame I know but I've got some stripper clips.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hello Everyone,

I've been away for a while, dealing with life and the inevitable ups and downs.

I am just about to start on three 1917 Enfields that I picked up at the shop that I am now a partner in. Reading this thread has inspired me to for once document and take some pictures.

Two of the 1917s still have the rear sights intact, so those will get restored back to Military Dress. A buddy of mine just dug up two pristine barrels for that effort (NOS, one is a High Standard and the other is a Johnson Automatics) that were made in 1942 when the Army basically rebuilt 850,000 of these rifles for use in the US and for War Lend Lease stocks. Many were provided to Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.

Once my misc. parts arrive from the 7 differant sources, I will begin. Probably start a new thread. Apologies to Mtdew; not trying to hijack your thread. Just really excited to restore a few more National Treasures to their former glory.

Great work BTW. I love Mausers, and I think you are going about this the right way. We all know it's not a KOSHER Mauser, but I would bet that you can cloverleaf with it at 200 yards when you are finished. And that is what it is all about at the end of the day.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've been away for a while, dealing with life and the inevitable ups and downs.

I am just about to start on three 1917 Enfields that I picked up at the shop that I am now a partner in. Reading this thread has inspired me to for once document and take some pictures.

Two of the 1917s still have the rear sights intact, so those will get restored back to Military Dress. A buddy of mine just dug up two pristine barrels for that effort (NOS, one is a High Standard and the other is a Johnson Automatics) that were made in 1942 when the Army basically rebuilt 850,000 of these rifles for use in the US and for War Lend Lease stocks. Many were provided to Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.

Once my misc. parts arrive from the 7 differant sources, I will begin. Probably start a new thread. Apologies to Mtdew; not trying to hijack your thread. Just really excited to restore a few more National Treasures to their former glory.

Great work BTW. I love Mausers, and I think you are going about this the right way. We all know it's not a KOSHER Mauser, but I would bet that you can cloverleaf with it at 200 yards when you are finished. And that is what it is all about at the end of the day.

Regards,
    No problem, sir! Its awesome that you are putting those Enfields back into military dress. Keep us posted.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The front sight and band spring came in yesterday. I'll get on the front sight as soon as I can. Hard to do much lately what with having to mow the lawn every 6 hours it seems. Damn this grass grows fast with all the rain we've had.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Damn I wish I'd know you were doing one up mtdew, I've got most of the same trinket parts kicking around that you've already gathered up,,you could have had these I have banging around here had I known. Not sure if any were Spandu , but I got a mixed bag of miscellaneous Mauser parts.

Is anyone else restoring one that's keeping it on the sly? I may have something someone can use. And for free too.
    Good to know, as I'm sure this wont be the last one. I've been eyeing some Yugo re-worked German 98k's.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.