Gunco Forums banner

1943 M44 Mosin Nagant in my sights

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  nutznboltz 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 1943 M44 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant for $200. All matching, light surface rust here and there, stock is pretty scratched up but very few minor dents. Bore looks great, receiver has stupid importer marks, but nothing I can do about that. According to my research, these were pre-production carbines built to test on the front. Only 50,000 were made that first year. Prices on the auction sites are all over the place, with nicer guns going for $300-400. So, my question is, should I spring for it?

#3 ·
$200 for m44 is generally not a bad deal but again depending on the condition it might be a good deal or just an average fair price.
with that being said i bought a post-war 1946-production beautiful pristine m44 for $197 in 2010. that's when 91/30s were $89 in most B&M gunshops.

#4 ·
You know I want it! But money is tight right now. I need to sell something but I have just what I want in my small collection with no spares. I hate to let it get away though. What makes me want it when I have never been really interested in the m44 is that the 43 year guns are not so common. From 7.62x54r.net -"Arsenals and Dates M44 production began at Izhevsk in 1943 one year before official adoption and continued through 1948. The first year of production is uncommon at an estimated 50,000 total and typically bring a premium."

#6 ·
That's stupid cheap. 91/30's are way over $200.00 now IF you can even find one in stock. 44's are near $ 400.00 like you say & try to even find a 38, my fave.
I have some 44's in need of resto & I would not want less than $200.00.
If you pass on that rifle & want a fixer upper finish wise later on, I fix you up good deal.Have several.

But I'd go grab that one , just because I know I could turn it for a profit right now.

#15 ·
Dang Karl, that's a sweet collection there. I have only 3 now, two 91/30's and now the m44. I passed on a minty sniper some years ago, all original, matching scope and all accessories. No importer stamps. It was priced at $350 when nice run of the mill Mosins were $70-80. I still regret not getting it!

#16 ·
I lucked out on my Enfield #5. Original matching numbers.No import marks. Got zero dollars in it. Man brought it into me for a good cleaning maybe 15 years ago and then moved. No way to find him. Got an old Marlin 22 pretty much the same way. Can't sell them because one of owners might come back to town some day.

#17 ·
I was able to get all the surface rust off with no damage to the blueing. Now the blueing can be considered 100%! I took off all the scratched up shellac with denatured alcohol, wiped on 3 coats of minwax gunstock oil based stain, followed by a coat of Birchwood Casey truoil. Turned out real nice, although I need to knock the shine down a bit after it cures for a while. I know, it probably hurt the "collector value" somewhat, but I couldn't stand it the way it was.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.